Adderss Sync with outlook - Scion

This is a discussion on Adderss Sync with outlook - Scion ; Hi, I have problem with sync of MS Outlook and my MC218. I can do one sync to a fresh Outlook address book but as soon as I do any subsequent syncs I get an address book with all the ...

  1. Adderss Sync with outlook

    Hi,

    I have problem with sync of MS Outlook and my MC218. I can do one sync
    to a fresh Outlook address book but as soon as I do any subsequent syncs
    I get an address book with all the numbers in new records (one for each
    number) without names to match together with my old ones (i.e. it
    expands from around 500 records to several thousands) in my MC218
    contacts db. Has anyone any solution for this.

    I run:

    PsiWin 2.3.3
    Outlook 2002 (SP3), i.e. version 10

    /Stefan

  2. Re: Adderss Sync with outlook

    AFAIK this never did work properly anyway and will probably never work

  3. Re: Adderss Sync with outlook

    Otto Sykora wrote:
    > AFAIK this never did work properly anyway and will probably never work

    I normally find any attempt to sync leads to duplicate entries both on
    the psion and PC It's quicker to use the sync when one device is empty
    and then send individual item, or even hand type the updates. Applies to
    Address and Diary entries

  4. Re: Adderss Sync with outlook

    On Thu, 04 Jan 2007 09:08:37 +0000, Peter
    wrote:

    >Otto Sykora wrote:
    >> AFAIK this never did work properly anyway and will probably never work
    >>

    >I normally find any attempt to sync leads to duplicate entries both on
    >the psion and PC It's quicker to use the sync when one device is empty
    >and then send individual item, or even hand type the updates. Applies to
    >Address and Diary entries

    Well, Otto, it works for me straight out of the box, thou I have a
    5mx. Perhaps you know of a problem with this model (which, of course,
    is not strictly speaking) a Psion.

    I have never had a problem with simple additions and deletions,
    whether made on the Psion side or in Outlook.
    However, the process sometimes throws a fit when I make a change (eg
    telephone number, or Surname due to marriage)) and I end up with
    duplicates just like Stefan.
    My wife uses a Pocket PC, and has the same problem at times, so I
    don't think this is specifically a Psion problem. Regrettably I
    believe the only cure is as Peter advises. Delete all from one or the
    other. Check through to weed out errors, and start a new
    synchronisation. While you do this, I find it therapeutic to mutter
    dire threats directed at Microsoft, Psion, Nokia, and Charles Babbage.

  5. Re: Adderss Sync with outlook

    It can work only under some very special circuumstances.
    First the psion and outlook need to be in the same language.
    The fields otherwise do not mach at all.

    Then, addition of any fields in psion, which do not exist in outlook
    or not in the sufficient number will mix up everything.

    And then, when change is done, it ends up in new entry on outlook
    side.

    Yes it will work once, provided there are no extra fields added to
    psion.

    Therefore most people have given up.

    The system of rather flexible data structure on one side and one
    rather unflexible (outlook) on other side must create problems.

  6. Re: Adderss Sync with outlook

    > so I
    >don't think this is specifically a Psion problem.

    the problem is outlook and all similar apps, not psion and most other
    things

  7. Re: Adderss Sync with outlook

    Otto Sykora wrote:
    > It can work only under some very special circuumstances.
    > First the psion and outlook need to be in the same language.
    > The fields otherwise do not mach at all.

    > Then, addition of any fields in psion, which do not exist in outlook
    > or not in the sufficient number will mix up everything.

    > And then, when change is done, it ends up in new entry on outlook
    > side.

    > Yes it will work once, provided there are no extra fields added to
    > psion.

    > Therefore most people have given up.

    > The system of rather flexible data structure on one side and one
    > rather unflexible (outlook) on other side must create problems.

    Note the new Google Calendar web based diary application. It will
    synchronise diaries with various Symbian phones, some of which will
    synchronise with a Psion5mx via IR. Of course you still have the
    general problem of shifting from a flexible data structure to a less
    flexible one via an even less flexible pipe, but since Google Calendar
    also syns with a variety of other PC diary systems, it does offer an
    extra mechanism by which you can keep a variety of diaries in sync.

    Having to do a bit of manual adjustment to some entries is a lot
    better than no automatic syncing at all.

    --
    Chris Malcolm cam@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

+ Reply to Thread