mx5 alternative? - Scion

This is a discussion on mx5 alternative? - Scion ; As a long time Psion fan (3,3a, siena, 3mx,5,5mx) I have just broken my 3rd 5mx (broke the screen whilst cycling home) so maybe its time to switch to something new. The question is what? I have tried various MS ...

  1. mx5 alternative?

    As a long time Psion fan (3,3a, siena, 3mx,5,5mx) I have just broken my 3rd
    5mx (broke the screen whilst cycling home) so maybe its time to switch to
    something new. The question is what? I have tried various MS based PDA and
    have already lost data when the battery has run out (after only a couple of
    days_. The only time my Psion has lost data is when I have broken it and
    then have been able to restore all the data to a new Psion. nver have the
    batteries going flat lost data either I change the batteries (AA) or the
    backup has kept me going.
    I am considring some sort of Phone/PDA but am interested what others have
    changed to? Ideas and suggestions welcome!

    cheers
    mike

  2. Re: mx5 alternative?

    Hi Mike,

    So far I haven't heard of any replacement for any Psion (3a to 5mx) that will actually do the job unless it's comparatively huge with a comparatively short battery life.

    Me, I've got 2 5mxs, a 3mx, two 3cs and two 3as.
    The 3as need servicing by POS and the 5mxs both need screen cables (after new year, Paul!).

    And I'm getting a Sienna soon.

    I know that doesn't help much, but you might try psionex, Pinnock Organiser Services or even eBay..

    Take care,
    Phil.
    --
    "Time wounds all heels."

    http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/diabetes.html
    http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/index.html

  3. Re: mx5 alternative?

    In article <4um0s9F18gs95U1@mid.individual.net>, Mike Barrett wrote:
    > As a long time Psion fan (3,3a, siena, 3mx,5,5mx) I have just broken my 3rd
    > 5mx (broke the screen whilst cycling home) so maybe its time to switch to
    > something new.

    Get a hard case for it.
    I've still never heard of a PDA that gets within a week of the typical
    battery life of a Psion.
    EBay is your friend - stock up on a couple of spares. If you can do
    your own repairs/ mixes/ matches, you can put together two working Psions 5MXs
    for less than 100, possibly less than 70. (excl P+P). Once you've got 2
    machines that sensibly back each other up, you can afford the time to send an
    injured one off to POS for repair.
    Anyone seen the proposed POS re-engineer of the 5MX? Or is it still
    vapourware?

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  4. Re: mx5 alternative?

    On 2006-12-18 00:05 CET, Mike Barrett wrote:

    > I am considring some sort of Phone/PDA but am interested what others have
    > changed to? Ideas and suggestions welcome!

    I changed to a Sharp Zaurus C1000. Usable keyboard (not as good as
    Psion 5mx), color screen 640x480 (much better than Psion 5mx),
    OS is Linux/QT. It depends a lot on intended use if it is a suitable
    replacement. Better, if you do a lot of network service (Ethernet/WLAN
    can be added by a CF card), slightly worse if you use it as a
    PIM/address book.

    --

  5. Re: mx5 alternative?

    "Mike Barrett" wrote:

    > As a long time Psion fan (3,3a, siena, 3mx,5,5mx) I have just broken my 3rd
    > 5mx (broke the screen whilst cycling home) so maybe its time to switch to
    > something new. The question is what? I have tried various MS based PDA and
    > have already lost data when the battery has run out (after only a couple of
    > days_. The only time my Psion has lost data is when I have broken it and
    > then have been able to restore all the data to a new Psion. nver have the
    > batteries going flat lost data either I change the batteries (AA) or the
    > backup has kept me going.

    Luckily I still have a working Psion 5mx, and a 7, so I haven't been
    forced to move as yet.

    I have pulled as much of my PDA work as I can back to my desktop (I am
    no longer doing as much travelling) onto Apple Macintosh.

    Unresolved issues so far include replacements for Agenda (iCal is
    reasonable, but Psion could give it a few lessons on ease of use) and
    abp (banking).

    > I am considring some sort of Phone/PDA but am interested what others have
    > changed to? Ideas and suggestions welcome!

    I added some of my passive data to an iPod. Address list, todo lists,
    some shopping lists. Apple have details on writing pseudo HTML on their
    developer site. Never been real interested in Phone capabilities, but I
    guess eventually I will need to look at them.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  6. Re: mx5 alternative?

    On 2006-12-18 12:49 CET, Eric Lindsay wrote:

    > Unresolved issues so far include replacements for Agenda (iCal is
    > reasonable, but Psion could give it a few lessons on ease of use) and
    > abp (banking).

    Emulating Windows and then emulating a 5mx is not an option?

    --

  7. Re: mx5 alternative?

    Hi Mike,

    As a frequent Psionuser (and collector) I think you're looking for the
    impossible.
    The only real sollution is to search local advertisement-sites and ofcourse
    Ebay.
    With the first you might even get as lucky as myself. (Ebay mostly is more
    expensive.)
    Prices of a Psion 5MX as low as EUR 20-25 (GBP 15-18) and EUR 50 (GBP 35)
    for a netBook.

    For these prices I have bought myself several Psion items. That's what keeps
    collecting them very interesting and payable.
    It is worth the effort to have some extra Psions. Just lately I managed to
    get a CF card stuck in one of my netBooks.
    Without the spare one I was lost, but luckily I just had bought 2 in a lot a
    couple of weeks before.
    While the netBook was repaired I could still work with one. By the way,
    repair was also worth it.
    IR-cap was missing and replaced and also the slightly non working keyboard.

    My advise? Stay with Psion as long as possible.

    Regards,

    Richard van Stappershoef
    the Dutch Psioncollector

    "Mike Barrett" schreef in bericht
    > As a long time Psion fan (3,3a, siena, 3mx,5,5mx) I have just broken my
    > 3rd 5mx (broke the screen whilst cycling home) so maybe its time to switch
    > to something new. The question is what? I have tried various MS based PDA
    > and have already lost data when the battery has run out (after only a
    > couple of days_. The only time my Psion has lost data is when I have
    > broken it and then have been able to restore all the data to a new Psion.
    > nver have the batteries going flat lost data either I change the batteries
    > (AA) or the backup has kept me going.
    > I am considring some sort of Phone/PDA but am interested what others have
    > changed to? Ideas and suggestions welcome!
    >
    > cheers
    > mike

  8. Re: mx5 alternative?

    In article ,
    Eric Lindsay wrote:
    > Luckily I still have a working Psion 5mx, and a 7, so I haven't been
    > forced to move as yet.

    I recommend the 7 and the netBook for ease of use typing and seeing
    the screen. Pick one up on an auction or get a reconditioned one. Just
    not as portable on a bicycle as the 5.

    Anything you get would benefit greatly from a hard case.

  9. Re: mx5 alternative?

    Mike Barrett wrote:
    > ... various MS based PDA and have already lost data when the battery has
    > run out (after only a couple of days_. The only time my Psion has
    > lost data is when I have broken it and then have been able to restore
    > all the data to a new Psion. nver have the batteries going flat lost
    > data either I change the batteries (AA) or the backup has kept me
    > going.

    I have a WM5.0 Pocket Loox N500 (a GPS navigation deal) because it was a
    company offer, though only just matching the cheapest retail. I gather that
    WM5 PDAs are expected to have non-volatile storage. After all the Psions
    (I'm still running my 3mx because I don't have equivalents to my own
    programs on the Loox yet) have volatile RAM, it's only having a backup
    battery that keeps them safe (though inoperative) if the main battery fails.

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  10. Re: mx5 alternative?

    On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:05:34 -0000, "Mike Barrett"
    wrote:

    >As a long time Psion fan (3,3a, siena, 3mx,5,5mx) I have just broken my 3rd
    >5mx (broke the screen whilst cycling home) so maybe its time to switch to
    >something new. The question is what?

    I have both the Diamond Mako (3mx) & 5mx that have been lightly used,
    on the shelf. Do not have an eBay account, but wish to sell.

    Location: Ontario Canada.

  11. Re: mx5 alternative?

    In article ,
    Jochen Schmid wrote:

    > On 2006-12-18 12:49 CET, Eric Lindsay wrote:
    >
    > > Unresolved issues so far include replacements for Agenda (iCal is
    > > reasonable, but Psion could give it a few lessons on ease of use) and
    > > abp (banking).

    > Emulating Windows and then emulating a 5mx is not an option?

    When I had a Windows laptop I used the Epoc "emulator" a lot for data
    entry. I never saw Windows as sufficiently of use to emulate after I
    moved to a Macintosh. Don't have the Intel models, so I'd have to get a
    fairly nasty emulator to get a PowerPC CPU to do the emulation to run
    Windows to run the Epoc stuff. Just doesn't seem worth the effort when I
    still have a few working Psion.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  12. Re: mx5 alternative?

    can I still get this emulator somewhere?
    On my next PC I am just setting up here would be enough space for that
    I think.

    Where can I download it?

  13. Re: mx5 alternative?

    http://www.bioeddie.co.uk/main/emulators.htm

    "Otto Sykora" schreef in bericht
    > can I still get this emulator somewhere?
    > On my next PC I am just setting up here would be enough space for that
    > I think.
    >

    > Where can I download it?

  14. Re: mx5 alternative?

    On 2006-12-19 13:38 CET, Eric Lindsay wrote:

    > Don't have the Intel models, so I'd have to get a
    > fairly nasty emulator to get a PowerPC CPU to do the emulation to run
    > Windows to run the Epoc stuff. Just doesn't seem worth the effort when I
    > still have a few working Psion.

    Not meant it really serious. ;-)

    Do not some IBM mainframes can run Linux sessions --> running WINE -->
    running EPOC emulator? Not that portable but you can't get it all. ;-)

    --

  15. Re: mx5 alternative?

    well I am running the dos emulator on the 5 and 5mx
    on the top of this I run doscim, compuserve for dos, this allowes me
    to dial in and get and send e-mail even from the 5 without TPC/IP
    even.

    so it is sloooooow, but it is here

  16. Re: mx5 alternative?

    Mike Barrett wrote:

    > I am considring some sort of Phone/PDA but am interested what others have
    > changed to? Ideas and suggestions welcome!
    >
    > cheers
    > mike

    I also keep thinking there should be something better than the 5mx, but
    I don't think there is. I have 2 and I diligently keep up the batteries
    when they're not in use (often for months). There is simply nothing
    better for computing when travelling or in "unpowered" environments,
    like a storeroom where you need to wander around taking notes and
    checking data on a spreadsheet.

  17. Re: mx5 alternative?

    mesibov@southcom.com.au schrieb:
    > Mike Barrett wrote:
    >
    >> I am considring some sort of Phone/PDA but am interested what others have
    >> changed to? Ideas and suggestions welcome!
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> mike

    > I also keep thinking there should be something better than the 5mx, but
    > I don't think there is. I have 2 and I diligently keep up the batteries
    > when they're not in use (often for months). There is simply nothing
    > better for computing when travelling or in "unpowered" environments,
    > like a storeroom where you need to wander around taking notes and
    > checking data on a spreadsheet.

    I don't think either: the keyboards of the Nokia Communicator Series
    i.e. are much smaller and allows you only to type with the two thumbs
    not with all your fingers. Of course we all would have liked to see a
    further development of the 5mx with colour screen, with more memory etc.
    etc. But as it is still compatible with XP there is no need to change
    (my first one lastet full 5 years!).

    Psionara! Urs

+ Reply to Thread