CF Card Renamed and Now Not Readable - help - Scion

This is a discussion on CF Card Renamed and Now Not Readable - help - Scion ; With my CompactFlash card in a card-reader connected to my desktop computer I fancied I'd rename it. Big mistake, it turns out, as it made the card unreadable back in my Psion! Is there a way to access such a ...

  1. CF Card Renamed and Now Not Readable - help

    With my CompactFlash card in a card-reader connected to my desktop
    computer I fancied I'd rename it. Big mistake, it turns out, as it
    made the card unreadable back in my Psion!

    Is there a way to access such a renamed disc?

    Help appreciated, before I reformat the disc on the psion and go back
    to my well-outdated backup.

    Brian

    --
    Auckland NEW ZEALAND

  2. Re: CF Card Renamed and Now Not Readable - help

    Hi Brian,

    Do you have a netBook? I managed to get a CF running in my netbook even when
    PC and Psion 5MX/Ericsson MC218 didn't recognise it.
    Can you rename it back to it's original label? If that's not possible, first
    copy everything to your PC before formatting the CF in you Psion.
    Good luck!

    Richard van Stappershoef

    the Netherlands
    schreef in bericht
    > With my CompactFlash card in a card-reader connected to my desktop
    > computer I fancied I'd rename it. Big mistake, it turns out, as it
    > made the card unreadable back in my Psion!
    >
    > Is there a way to access such a renamed disc?
    >
    > Help appreciated, before I reformat the disc on the psion and go back
    > to my well-outdated backup.
    >
    > Brian
    >
    > --
    > Auckland NEW ZEALAND

  3. Re: CF Card Renamed and Now Not Readable - help

    In article <457a75c9$0$40150$dbd41001@news.wanadoo.nl>,
    Richard van Stappershoef wrote:
    > Hi Brian,
    > Do you have a netBook?

    Yes. It's my main Psion now.

    > I managed to get a CF running in my netbook even when PC and Psion
    > 5MX/Ericsson MC218 didn't recognise it.

    > Can you rename it back to it's original label?

    That would be ideal. But I can't remember it. I'll try to remember
    what it was, of the many variations of 'Flash', 'Ddrive', etc that
    I've used over the years.

    I wonder if there was a way to peek inside the workings of a CF card
    'D' drive to see what the 'proper' name is. It's showing as half used
    up (50MB of a 128MB card) but no folders visible except for a System
    folder with a Temp folder in it. Probably something that Opera or
    another app has done since I renamed the disc.

  4. Re: CF Card Renamed and Now Not Readable - help

    quattro@clear.net.nz wrote:

    > I wonder if there was a way to peek inside the workings of a CF card
    > 'D' drive to see what the 'proper' name is. It's showing as half used
    > up (50MB of a 128MB card) but no folders visible except for a System
    > folder with a Temp folder in it. Probably something that Opera or
    > another app has done since I renamed the disc.

    I assume you are unable to read the card on the desktop either,
    otherwise the solution would be obvious. But your remark about Opera
    reads as if something has overwritten the files or folder structure.

    What kind of files are they? If text, I have a utility for recovering
    corrupted disks the hard way by just grabbing chunks of disk as files
    which you can then edit back into shape with Notepad. Whether it's
    worth the tedium, only you can say.

    Chris

  5. Re: CF Card Renamed and Now Not Readable - help

    In article <1165979097.701187.294670@80g2000cwy.googlegroups.c om>,
    wrote:
    > What kind of files are they? If text, I have a utility for
    > recovering corrupted disks the hard way by just grabbing chunks of
    > disk as files which you can then edit back into shape with Notepad.
    > Whether it's worth the tedium, only you can say.

    Yes I would have gone to that trouble. I do something similar whenever
    I want to access a ph no from a Contacts data file, bu viewing it in a
    decent syntax colour coded text editor and retrieving the raw data.

    My renamed CF disc was showing as having about 50MB used of 128MB, so
    somehow the space was used (nb: no more than I'd expect) but there
    were no file icons visible using a Psion 7, netbook, 5mx, or
    RISCOS desktop PC.

    But that was days ago and I've reformatted the CF card and started
    again with a reasonably recent backup.

    I'm interested in your utility. What is it?

    Brian

    --
    Auckland NEW ZEALAND

  6. Re: CF Card Renamed and Now Not Readable - help

    wrote in message
    > With my CompactFlash card in a card-reader connected to my desktop
    > computer I fancied I'd rename it. Big mistake, it turns out, as it
    > made the card unreadable back in my Psion!
    >
    > Is there a way to access such a renamed disc?
    >
    > Help appreciated, before I reformat the disc on the psion and go back
    > to my well-outdated backup.

    As you have discovered, the name is stored in a different format when done
    on a PC to what it is by the Psion.

    Format another card in your Psion, giving it the required name, and copy the
    files from the old card to the new on the PC, but (yes, you guessed) don't
    rename the new card on the PC.

    You were unlucky, because 9 times out of 10 you can change the name on the
    PC and get away with it. The only effect is that the card has a different
    name on the PC to the Psion. I believe the problem comes from the card's
    internal housekeeping routines, because the writeback doesn't always occur
    to the same place as the bit being changed.

  7. Re: CF Card Renamed and Now Not Readable - help

    wrote in message
    > In article <457a75c9$0$40150$dbd41001@news.wanadoo.nl>,
    > Richard van Stappershoef wrote:
    >> Hi Brian,
    >> Do you have a netBook?

    > Yes. It's my main Psion now.
    >
    >> I managed to get a CF running in my netbook even when PC and Psion
    >> 5MX/Ericsson MC218 didn't recognise it.

    >> Can you rename it back to it's original label?

    > That would be ideal. But I can't remember it. I'll try to remember
    > what it was, of the many variations of 'Flash', 'Ddrive', etc that
    > I've used over the years.

    That won't work. The Psion's name is not in the same format as the PC's
    name.

  8. Re: CF Card Renamed and Now Not Readable - help

    In article <457fc38f$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net>,
    M.I.5 wrote:
    > You were unlucky, because 9 times out of 10 you can change the name
    > on the PC and get away with it. The only effect is that the card
    > has a different name on the PC to the Psion. I believe the problem
    > comes from the card's internal housekeeping routines, because the
    > writeback doesn't always occur to the same place as the bit being
    > changed.

    Thanks for the explanation.
    Annoying, isn't it.

+ Reply to Thread