Import or open Psion file on PC - Scion

This is a discussion on Import or open Psion file on PC - Scion ; I have a Psion Series 5 handheld and the screen is no longer working properly. I have a very important note file from the Psion which I have copied to my PC. However I can not figure out how to ...

  1. Import or open Psion file on PC

    I have a Psion Series 5 handheld and the screen is no longer working
    properly.

    I have a very important note file from the Psion which I have copied to
    my PC.

    However I can not figure out how to open or import this file in to any
    other program.

    It's basically a big table with about 10 columns and a few hundred
    rows.

    Is there a specific software program I could use to open or convert
    this file?

    Thank you in advance for any assistance or suggestions you may provide.

  2. Re: Import or open Psion file on PC

    derek.erb@gmail.com wrote:
    > I have a Psion Series 5 handheld and the screen is no longer working
    > properly.

    Sorry to hear that!

    > I have a very important note file from the Psion which I have copied to
    > my PC.

    How did you copy it? Using PsiWin you should be able to convert it to
    something.

    > However I can not figure out how to open or import this file in to any
    > other program.
    >
    > It's basically a big table with about 10 columns and a few hundred
    > rows.

    Hmmm, how did you create this? Word, Jotter, Sheet? All of these
    should have imported conversions available.

    > Is there a specific software program I could use to open or convert
    > this file?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any assistance or suggestions you may provide.

    You're welcome!
    Stuart

  3. Re: Import or open Psion file on PC

    On 2006-09-08 09:17:00 +0100, derek.erb@gmail.com said:

    > I have a Psion Series 5 handheld and the screen is no longer working
    > properly.
    >
    > I have a very important note file from the Psion which I have copied to
    > my PC.
    >
    > However I can not figure out how to open or import this file in to any
    > other program.
    >
    > It's basically a big table with about 10 columns and a few hundred
    > rows.
    >
    > Is there a specific software program I could use to open or convert
    > this file?
    >
    > Thank you in advance for any assistance or suggestions you may provide.

    If it's one of the native applications; word, sheet, Jotter etc. you
    should be able to convert it without the need to connect to the Psion
    using PsiWin.

    If it is not a native application, post it here and there may be ways
    to convert it.

    Last suggestion would be that someone may offer to convert on their
    Psion it if you email to them.
    --
    Cheers,

    Steve

    The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
    Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  4. Re: Import or open Psion file on PC

    Srtgray wrote:
    > derek.erb@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hmmm, how did you create this? Word, Jotter, Sheet? All of these
    > should have imported conversions available.
    >
    >> Is there a specific software program I could use to open or convert
    >> this file?

    If the file was created by a native (not add-on) Psion program then it could
    be opened (in extremis) by the Psion PC emulator. I say "in extremis"
    because it is huge and not trivial to install and use. If PsiWin really
    does not offer a conversion route for it (and I find the conversions a bit
    idiosyncratic, but then I'm usually converting from Psion 3), then you might
    consider whether to trust a third party with opening it under the emulator.
    But if the original program does not offer any alternative saving formats
    that still might not lead to a satisfactory conclusion...

    Finally, what has to be retrieved? If the content is not understandable
    without the intended layout (as the mention of columnar format sugggests)
    then the conversion is going to have to retain this to be useful. (Ten
    columns and a few hundred rows is not what I'd call "a note"!)

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  5. Re: Import or open Psion file on PC

    You could try (on a copy of the file) changing its file extension to .xls or
    ..txt etc and try to open under windows excel or word etc

    You can only loose the copy if it fails or becomes corrupted. I've been
    surprised at the data you can retrieve by doing this.

    better l;ate than never

    "Steve Hodgson" wrote in message
    > On 2006-09-08 09:17:00 +0100, derek.erb@gmail.com said:
    >
    >> I have a Psion Series 5 handheld and the screen is no longer working
    >> properly.
    >>
    >> I have a very important note file from the Psion which I have copied to
    >> my PC.
    >>
    >> However I can not figure out how to open or import this file in to any
    >> other program.
    >>
    >> It's basically a big table with about 10 columns and a few hundred
    >> rows.
    >>
    >> Is there a specific software program I could use to open or convert
    >> this file?
    >>
    >> Thank you in advance for any assistance or suggestions you may provide.

    > If it's one of the native applications; word, sheet, Jotter etc. you
    > should be able to convert it without the need to connect to the Psion
    > using PsiWin.
    >
    > If it is not a native application, post it here and there may be ways to
    > convert it.
    >
    > Last suggestion would be that someone may offer to convert on their Psion
    > it if you email to them.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
    > Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  6. Re: Import or open Psion file on PC

    I have files from my Psion 5 which I can get on to my PC via a card reader but cannot then open. Specifically the Data (addresses), a Word and a spreadsheet. Can you please advise on how I open them (I have 2,500 addresses which I want to translate into Outlook). I am using Vista.

+ Reply to Thread