networking - Scion

This is a discussion on networking - Scion ; I want to connect my Psion netBook over Ethernet to a RISC OS machine to make the data transfer faster. Also I want to connect two printers using Ethernet (a fast postscript-laserprinter and an A2 inkjet printer). For me, I ...

  1. networking

    I want to connect my Psion netBook over Ethernet to a RISC OS machine to
    make the data transfer faster. Also I want to connect two printers using
    Ethernet (a fast postscript-laserprinter and an A2 inkjet printer).

    For me, I have no experiences with networking, and so I ask myself if this
    things are possible and how to do it? I have just an Ethernet card for the
    Psion now. Anybody with experience here? What I have to take care of,
    looking for, must give attentation to make it? And which equipment I will
    need for the RISC OS machine?

    Alexander Ausserstorfer

  2. Re: networking

    In article <126baf604e%noreply@chiemgau-net.de>, Alexander Ausserstorfer
    wrote:
    > I want to connect my Psion netBook over Ethernet to a RISC OS machine to
    > make the data transfer faster.

    I'm not aware of anything for directly linking a Psion to RISC-OS
    systems. There is a Linux-Psion Link protocol for which source code is
    available, so it's potentially portable to RISC-OS.
    http://plptools.sourceforge.net/

    > A daemon (ncpd) handles the serial connection and provides it's services
    > on a local TCP socket. Currently, several frontends using these services
    > are part of the package:
    >
    > * plpbackup, a command-line backup program.
    > * plpftp, a FTP-like frontend with some extensions.
    > * sisinstall, a SIS package installer.
    > * plpnfsd, a daemon, providing the Psion's file services via a
    > nfs-mounted directory.
    > * plpprintd, a print server for printing via PC.

    The latter would suggest that, if you can port the PLP back-end (the
    "daemon" in the first paragraph quoted) to RISC-OS, then the rest should fall
    fairly easily, if you've already got your various printers working on the
    RISC-OS system.

    But if you're wanting speed of data transfer to/ from the Psion, for
    anything much above the trivial it would be faster to push the data from Psion
    to the memory card, close the Psion, transfer the memory card to the host
    machine (5 adaptor for any PCMCIA-equipped machine, and you can get PCMCIA
    slots for desktops) and pull the data from the memory card. Since the
    pull-insert cycle takes about 20 seconds, and the fastest the serial link can
    run at is 115kbps, then anything over approximately 2Mb (~200 kilobytes,
    allowing for serial overhead) would be quicker to transfer on the card than
    over the serial link.

    If you need conversions between Psion file formats and the formats
    supported by RISC-OS programs, that's an entirely different question.

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland

+ Reply to Thread