PDA screen 10x15cm - Scion

This is a discussion on PDA screen 10x15cm - Scion ; Hello Since there isn't an obvious upgrade path for Psions, I have been thinking what kind of PDA I would like to have. In general it would be something between a series 5 and a netbook/series 7, to be used ...

  1. PDA screen 10x15cm

    Hello

    Since there isn't an obvious upgrade path for Psions, I have been thinking
    what kind of PDA I would like to have. In general it would be something
    between a series 5 and a netbook/series 7, to be used as a PDA and also a
    web tablet.

    I was thinking it would need a nice colour screen of about 10x15cm with
    portrait and landscape mode and good zoom. Together with Opera's "fit to
    page" feature, I think that would let me navigate even dorky websites
    while keeping the size of the device down.

    It doesn't have to have a built-in keyboard, but it would need to at least
    mate with a folding keyboard so you can angle the screen as you type.

    I was thinking this would be a good device for the many people who wish to
    keep in touch on email, web forums, etc. It would also be small enough to
    use as a PDA for grocery shopping, organiser etc.

    People often scoff at small devices saying "that's too fiddly to do
    anything sensible". I believe that's because they haven't experienced
    useful zoom features like the Psions had; or the de-moronizing
    fit-to-window and disable-tables features of Opera.

    I think the device I'm talking about would be to be widely popular, not
    just as a "business" tool. The Nokia 770 is close to what I want, but it's
    too small for me and lacks built-in organizer features.

    What do you think? Does this device exist?

    thanks,
    Erik Sandblom

    --
    Oil is for sissies

  2. Re: PDA screen 10x15cm

    In article ,
    "Erik Sandblom" wrote:

    > I was thinking it would need a nice colour screen of about 10x15cm with
    > portrait and landscape mode and good zoom. Together with Opera's "fit to
    > page" feature, I think that would let me navigate even dorky websites
    > while keeping the size of the device down.

    There are a number of miniature Windows laptops that go down to very
    small sizes. Battery life is usually abysmal however.

    > It doesn't have to have a built-in keyboard, but it would need to at least
    > mate with a folding keyboard so you can angle the screen as you type.

    The Bluetooth keyboard made of cloth have arrived, I gather. Unroll it
    on a flat surface and type.

    I still haven't found a Psion replacement. I'm using a Macintosh laptop
    these days, but I am also no longer travelling every day. However I have
    several spare 5mx and Psion 7 on hand, so until the last one dies, I am
    OK.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  3. Re: PDA screen 10x15cm

    Eric Lindsay a écrit :
    > In article ,
    > "Erik Sandblom" wrote:
    >
    >> I was thinking it would need a nice colour screen of about 10x15cm with
    >> portrait and landscape mode and good zoom. Together with Opera's "fit to
    >> page" feature, I think that would let me navigate even dorky websites
    >> while keeping the size of the device down.

    > There are a number of miniature Windows laptops that go down to very
    > small sizes. Battery life is usually abysmal however.
    >
    >> It doesn't have to have a built-in keyboard, but it would need to at least
    >> mate with a folding keyboard so you can angle the screen as you type.

    > The Bluetooth keyboard made of cloth have arrived, I gather. Unroll it
    > on a flat surface and type.
    >
    > I still haven't found a Psion replacement. I'm using a Macintosh laptop
    > these days, but I am also no longer travelling every day. However I have
    > several spare 5mx and Psion 7 on hand, so until the last one dies, I am
    > OK.

    Like these ones for example :
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/hardware.mspx

    (I have no interest with MS or the hardware manufacturers mentionned on
    this web page).

    I had the short opportunity (20 mn !) to try the Samsung.... Very handy,
    full capabilities of a PC, on-screen keybord, touch screen, wifi, BT,
    LAN, phone-modem, infrared, USB, firewire, sound... All you might want
    is here.

    A bit expensive compared to "regular" PDA (around 1200 euros here in
    France).

    Charly

  4. Re: PDA screen 10x15cm

    Den 2006-09-04 10:52:05 skrev Charly :

    > Like these ones for example :
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/umpc/hardware.mspx
    >
    > (I have no interest with MS or the hardware manufacturers mentionned on
    > this web page).
    >
    > I had the short opportunity (20 mn !) to try the Samsung.... Very handy,
    > full capabilities of a PC, on-screen keybord, touch screen, wifi, BT,
    > LAN, phone-modem, infrared, USB, firewire, sound... All you might want
    > is here.
    >
    > A bit expensive compared to "regular" PDA (around 1200 euros here in
    > France).

    Yes, that's what I'm looking for. If the battery lasts long enough for a
    few hours of wifi websurfing, that would be what I'm looking for.

    However, I'm quite sure the "full capabilities of a PC" aspect means the
    device is more complicated, slower and more battery-draining than it needs
    to be. Truly portable devices have different requirements compared to
    desktops and laptops. They need to be faster, more reliable, and easier to
    use. That usually means the software should be simpler, fewer features,
    more polished, with only the features you need. The small screen means you
    need better zoom and fit-to-page features. Palm Pilots, Blackberries and
    Psions are all good examples, but in my opinion the web experience is not
    good enough.

    Erik Sandblom

    --
    my site is EriksRailNews.com

  5. Re: PDA screen 10x15cm

    In article ,
    Eric Lindsay wrote:
    > There are a number of miniature Windows laptops that go down to very
    > small sizes. Battery life is usually abysmal however.

    As in, take the battery life time that you're used to from your
    Psion, in weeks, and repeat the number in hours. OK, maybe on the newer
    machines you might get double hours.

    Worked example : Psion usage gives about 1.5 weeks between
    battery changes.
    Typical Windows PDA lifetime under similar usage : 1.5 to 3.0
    hours.

    Also, remember to carry a mains supplied re-charger with you -
    you'll not be able to use AA cells from the village shop in rural
    Tanzania to replace the batteries in a more recent PDA. (I think that's
    true of post-5 Psions too, isn't it?)

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland