Archive? - Scion

This is a discussion on Archive? - Scion ; Hi, Iíve posted this on the Pscience5 forum, the PsionPlace forum and comp.sys.psion.misc - and anyone can post it elsewhere if they want. It seems EPOC32 - ER1-5 - is now considered dead by a number of organisations (a lively ...

  1. Archive?

    Hi,

    Iíve posted this on the Pscience5 forum, the PsionPlace forum and comp.sys.psion.misc - and anyone can post it elsewhere if they want.

    It seems EPOC32 - ER1-5 - is now considered dead by a number of organisations (a lively corpse in my opinion).
    PsionPlace has reduced itís software archive, TUCOWS will probably follow.
    PocketIQ has now gone the way of Neuon (and will be similarly missed).

    I suppose Martin Guthrie is now the principal archiver of EPOC32 software.
    But I donít suppose either he or his site can archive it all.

    Would it now be reasonable to hope that a proper archive could be made and copies placed in a few places?
    An obvious candidate would be Yahoo groups, but several of them (and, yes, I know the EPOC warez people use Yahoo groups).

    *But surely there are other places?*

    The thing is that a proper archive needs independent duplicates so it cannot easily get lost.
    I donít have enough space to be any real use (either on the web or at home) - Iím a bit of a dinosaur anyway.
    Also Iím a sad, disabled and unemployed nerd (but not, definitely *not*, in my own opinion).
    But Iíd offer what help I could.

    Iím not suggesting that any still registerable or buyable software be archived - though it might be archived separately against the possibility of it being abandoned.
    But this stuff must be kept available.

    The thing is that this has happened before.
    A vast amount of SiBO software was on the Imperial College site and would have disappeared if I hadnít scooped the site.
    That isnít many megabytes compared to an EPOC32 archive so my small hard disk can store it easily.
    But I may well be the principal archiver now (and there is the occasional person new even to SiBO).
    But most erstwhile shareware for SiBO is now unregisterable!

    RMR retain their SiBO software still (good old RMR!) and itís likely they will also retain their ER1-5 stuff.
    FreEPOC is still very active, though veering understandably towards ER6 and later (as is RMR).
    But they are pretty well alone now.

    I do realise that most of us have all the software we want - well, I do - but this is about the few, not the many.
    Just as there have recently been a few new to SiBO, so there will be a few more new to ER1-5 over the next decade.

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "Time wounds all heels."

    http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/diabetes.html
    http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/index.html

  2. Re: Archive?

    Concider it beiong done if any one has any psion files please send them
    and i will drop them onto bioeddies for you and others to enjoy.

+ Reply to Thread