Psion with satellite telephone? - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion with satellite telephone? - Scion ; Is there euqipment to use Psion machines together with a satellite telephone (Northwood Canada / Alaska) for short email messages over the Internet? The mobile I used in 2004 was not a good solution for Canada at all. Alexander Ausserstorfer...

  1. Psion with satellite telephone?

    Is there euqipment to use Psion machines together with a satellite telephone
    (Northwood Canada / Alaska) for short email messages over the Internet?
    The mobile I used in 2004 was not a good solution for Canada at all.

    Alexander Ausserstorfer

  2. Re: Psion with satellite telephone?

    In article ,
    noreply@chiemgau-net.de (Alexander Ausserstorfer) wrote:

    > Is there euqipment to use Psion machines together with a satellite telephone
    > (Northwood Canada / Alaska) for short email messages over the Internet?
    > The mobile I used in 2004 was not a good solution for Canada at all.

    A Psion will connect via IrDA Comm to a GSM mobile phone. If a satellite
    phone happens to have support for IrDA Comm it may work. Haven't heard
    of anyone doing so.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  3. Re: Psion with satellite telephone?

    First you will have to be sure what kind of satellite phone you want
    use. There are different systems, mostly not supposed to be used for
    TCP/IP connection at all. Those small handheld units will transfer
    2400bps data netto if you mange to connect it to a serial cable at
    all.

    I have tried many times with Psion 5mx and satellite phones Inmarsat
    Mini M from Trane and Nera.
    I have to admit, never got it work.

    I did not try the IR , since those mini M have no IR anyway, rather
    normal serial RS232 connection.

    The serial communication to the phone did work. I could also manage to
    dial in, but all the furher needed handshake communikation did not
    work, or had some timeout etc. I tried to enter all the special
    commands needed by the inmarsat system into the init string, no cure.
    Tried all also in terminal mode, it seems that there are somecritical
    time settings and those could be also different for every ground
    station.

    I did also try to connect it to GAN version of satphone, this is the
    one we have high speed TCP communication on it. However here the
    connection is supposed to be either by ISDN modem or LAN. I did not
    figure out how to use it as serial based modem at all.

    Unfortunately I had the satellite phones mostly only abt half a day to
    play with, connection times are expensive so I did not finish my
    tests.

    One problem is also, that the connection over the mini M is netto only
    2400bps and it is becoming hard to find a provider still supporting
    this communication speed. With my normal laptop, I was using often
    compuserve in germany, they have some of their nodes still having a
    modem operating the 2400. Here the communication was still much better
    using the old HMI protocol rather then the present TCP/IP.

    I did no tests with Iridium or Golabl etc, since the phones we use in
    swiss disaster relief have no suitable serial connection followed by a
    modem, thus no capable of such communication.

    I was told I could use thuraya for such thing, did not test myself
    however, could also not find any suitable cables to connect the phone
    to the psion. But even , so , thuraya is not solution for you, it does
    not cover alaska.

  4. Re: Psion with satellite telephone?

    That's all a lot of interest, thank you for!

    I tried a long time to bring a normal GPRS-connection (mobile) here in
    Germany to work, but it was never happen, too. I don't know, where the
    problem is. Just GSM over direct dialing was working, but this is not
    possible from abroad; so what can I do?

    There are so much different networks, providers and systems, and each one
    need its own right parameters. My question will be silly, but from where can
    I get this informations? I asked the customer supports of o2, Deutsche
    Telekom and also from vodaphone in New Zealand and Australia, but all the
    people there can or want to do is to sell or to give a software for a laptop
    - just for Microsoft Windows which I don't like. This makes the customers
    depend from this companies, so why the hell must be that!

    Alexander Ausserstorfer

  5. Re: Psion with satellite telephone?

    To get GPRS connection in Germany should be no problem, provided:

    your provider has roaming contract for GPRS with some of the local
    nets
    your phone supports GPRS on the frequency band used by that net

    It is still essential, that you have at least one succesfull
    connection on GPRS in your home net prior travelling abroad, the only
    relevant settings are those of your home provider, setting of any
    local nets are not relevant for you.

    In germany I use frequently Vodafone or Eplus.

    However:
    the net is durig the day often overloaded in some cities, and then the
    bandwidth of the GPRS will be reduced in favor of the voice
    communication. The roaming partners will be kicked out first, this is
    my experience. So for experiments, try it in the evening or early
    morning.

+ Reply to Thread