Which "Modern" mobile Phone, connectable via Ir to 5mx (or MC218) ??? - Scion

This is a discussion on Which "Modern" mobile Phone, connectable via Ir to 5mx (or MC218) ??? - Scion ; Hi Friends, I still happily use my MC218 (almost identical to Psion 5mx) connected (via the relevant Infrared ports) to my old Ericsson SH888 mobile ph, for connection to Internet and SMS managing. I want to upgrade the mobile ph. ...

  1. Which "Modern" mobile Phone, connectable via Ir to 5mx (or MC218) ???

    Hi Friends,
    I still happily use my MC218 (almost identical to Psion 5mx) connected
    (via the relevant Infrared ports) to my old Ericsson SH888 mobile ph,
    for connection to Internet and SMS managing.
    I want to upgrade the mobile ph. with a more "modern" one, that
    should STILL do the above connecting via Ir to the MC218 (!), but that
    could ALSO (!) have Bluetooth and a "large" colour display, so that
    I could be able to use it (with the appropriate sw & GPS device) as a
    modern satellite navigator.
    I tried the MC218 with a Nokia 6260 and 6233 but NO WAY: the Ir
    connection did NOT work !
    : - (((
    Does anybody have instead positive experiences, knowledge or
    suggestions ?

    Many thanks
    Giorgio
    Rome, Italy

  2. Re: Which "Modern" mobile Phone, connectable via Ir to 5mx (or MC218) ???

    wrote in message
    news:1154763752.416392.23040@s13g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi Friends,
    > I still happily use my MC218 (almost identical to Psion 5mx) connected
    > (via the relevant Infrared ports) to my old Ericsson SH888 mobile ph,
    > for connection to Internet and SMS managing.
    > I want to upgrade the mobile ph. with a more "modern" one, that
    > should STILL do the above connecting via Ir to the MC218 (!), but that
    > could ALSO (!) have Bluetooth and a "large" colour display, so that
    > I could be able to use it (with the appropriate sw & GPS device) as a
    > modern satellite navigator.
    > I tried the MC218 with a Nokia 6260 and 6233 but NO WAY: the Ir
    > connection did NOT work !
    > : - (((
    > Does anybody have instead positive experiences, knowledge or
    > suggestions ?
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Giorgio
    > Rome, Italy

    The Ericsson P910i worked fine. I don't know if the newer version will work
    but that offers most of what you were asking for. Difficult to find new but
    should be able to find one on Ebay or similar.

  3. Re: Which "Modern" mobile Phone, connectable via Ir to 5mx (or MC218) ???

    Sony Ericsson K750i works for me with a MC218.

    I've sent files to a Nokia via plBeam:

    https://www.drmcommonsolutions.com/Psion/plbeam.aspx

    May be worth trying the following too:

    http://www.pscience5.net/lost/CBeam.zip

    mr.giod@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Friends,
    > I still happily use my MC218 (almost identical to Psion 5mx) connected
    > (via the relevant Infrared ports) to my old Ericsson SH888 mobile ph,
    > for connection to Internet and SMS managing.
    > I want to upgrade the mobile ph. with a more "modern" one, that
    > should STILL do the above connecting via Ir to the MC218 (!), but that
    > could ALSO (!) have Bluetooth and a "large" colour display, so that
    > I could be able to use it (with the appropriate sw & GPS device) as a
    > modern satellite navigator.
    > I tried the MC218 with a Nokia 6260 and 6233 but NO WAY: the Ir
    > connection did NOT work !
    > : - (((
    > Does anybody have instead positive experiences, knowledge or
    > suggestions ?
    >
    > Many thanks
    > Giorgio
    > Rome, Italy

  4. Re: Which "Modern" mobile Phone, connectable via Ir to 5mx (or MC218) ???

    wrote in message
    news:1154763752.416392.23040@s13g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi Friends,
    > I still happily use my MC218 (almost identical to Psion 5mx) connected
    > (via the relevant Infrared ports) to my old Ericsson SH888 mobile ph,
    > for connection to Internet and SMS managing.
    > I want to upgrade the mobile ph. with a more "modern" one, that
    > should STILL do the above connecting via Ir to the MC218 (!), but that
    > could ALSO (!) have Bluetooth and a "large" colour display, so that
    > I could be able to use it (with the appropriate sw & GPS device) as a
    > modern satellite navigator.
    > I tried the MC218 with a Nokia 6260 and 6233 but NO WAY: the Ir
    > connection did NOT work !
    > : - (((
    > Does anybody have instead positive experiences, knowledge or
    > suggestions ?

    There are two standards on IR communication. The Psion uses the older
    IRComm. The Nokia phones use the newer IrDa. Google for and install plBeam
    on the psion to resolve the problem.

  5. Re: Which "Modern" mobile Phone, connectable via Ir to 5mx (or MC218) ???

    even with the irda update , which will work then on older phones fine,
    it will not work on the new phones anyway. I can nicely oprerate over
    6310i , but no chance over the preset 6230i for example.
    The irda system here seems to be different.

    Adding the plBeam does not cure the solution, since this might contain
    the irda update, but is mainly for ir Orbex of file handling over
    irda.

+ Reply to Thread