Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ? - Scion

This is a discussion on Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ? - Scion ; When my wife's Psion 7 finally dies (see thread about Psion 7 Emulator on a PC) she will need a new PDA. Has anyone any advice as to what might be the best replacement? Palm and Windows mobile machines seem ...

  1. Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    When my wife's Psion 7 finally dies (see thread about Psion 7 Emulator
    on a PC) she will need a new PDA. Has anyone any advice as to what
    might be the best replacement? Palm and Windows mobile machines seem so
    small to her although I personally have used a Palm machine for years
    very happily. What have people you know changed over to?
    --
    Wilf

  2. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    > When my wife's Psion 7 finally dies -the best replacement?

    1) Psion Netbook or let's repair the S7.

    2) Psion Netbook PRO: same keyboard, but Windows CE.net (lousy), USB,
    much better display.

    3) Sharp Zaurus: Linux system, but the only PDA you can call Psion
    successor. You can find these units at www.pulster.de/engl

    Christoph

  3. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    Hi Wilf,

    It may not seem very helpful but I haven't switched - and won't.

    I now have 2 5mxs, 2 3as, 2 3cs and a 3mx.
    I use this 5mx for web work and a few other things the SiBO machines can't do.
    When the last 5mx gives up the ghost I'll use the SiBO machines until *I* give up the ghost.

    My situation is only a little different from most.
    My need for a machine with a keyboard restricts me, cash also.
    But my Psions serve me well and I need nothing better.

    I'm not aware that anything as versatile as the Psions exists.
    Battery life, size and capability suit me better than anything else I've heard of.

    There are plenty of refurbished Psions available, perhaps you should look at Pinnock Organiser Services (http://www.posltd.com/).
    They sell 'remanufactured' machines and have a fine reputation amongst Psioneers.

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "As I interpret the President, we're now at the
    end of the beginning of the upturn of the downturn."

    http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/diabetes.html
    http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/index.html

  4. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    Phil Aypee wrote:

    > I'm not aware that anything as versatile as the Psions exists.
    > Battery life, size and capability suit me better than anything else I've heard of.

    How about this?

    http://www.cadigital.com/poqetpc.htm

    The original ran on AA batteries and outlasted even the psions run time

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poqet_Pc

  5. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    http://www.flybook.biz/

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  6. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    In article <44d203f9$0$17401$636a55ce@news.free.fr>,
    AM Christophe wrote:
    > Wilf wrote:

    > > When my wife's Psion 7 finally dies (see thread about Psion 7 Emulator
    > > on a PC) she will need a new PDA. Has anyone any advice as to what
    > > might be the best replacement? Palm and Windows mobile machines seem so
    > > small to her although I personally have used a Palm machine for years
    > > very happily. What have people you know changed over to?

    > http://www.flybook.biz

    I use a JVC mininote 5230 with the Psion SDK for Java on it (plus
    VirtualAcorn for RISC OS emulation too!) and it's a natty little number -
    if you look for later models (e.g. 7230 and XV841), they have faster
    processors too. With the extended battery, it runs for a fair while, but
    nothing like the Psion's 8hrs or so...

    Andy

  7. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    Wilf wrote:
    > When my wife's Psion 7 finally dies (see thread about Psion 7 Emulator
    > on a PC) she will need a new PDA. Has anyone any advice as to what
    > might be the best replacement? Palm and Windows mobile machines seem so
    > small to her although I personally have used a Palm machine for years
    > very happily. What have people you know changed over to?

    Many thanks to all who have replied - I have some good ideas to work on now.

    --
    Wilf

  8. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    "Wilf" wrote in message
    > When my wife's Psion 7 finally dies (see thread about Psion 7 Emulator on
    > a PC) she will need a new PDA. Has anyone any advice as to what might be
    > the best replacement? Palm and Windows mobile machines seem so small to
    > her although I personally have used a Palm machine for years very happily.
    > What have people you know changed over to?
    > --
    > Wilf

    How about this?
    http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=133334&tab=0

    I should have one delivered either this morning or on Monday.

    Paul

  9. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    GBP320 = EUR475
    www.pulster.de sells netBooks for EUR 349 !!!

    "Paul Taylor" schreef in bericht news:44def5c8@news.greennet.net...
    > "Wilf" wrote in message
    >> When my wife's Psion 7 finally dies (see thread about Psion 7 Emulator on
    >> a PC) she will need a new PDA. Has anyone any advice as to what might be
    >> the best replacement? Palm and Windows mobile machines seem so small to
    >> her although I personally have used a Palm machine for years very
    >> happily. What have people you know changed over to?
    >> --
    >> Wilf

    > How about this?
    > http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=133334&tab=0
    >
    > I should have one delivered either this morning or on Monday.
    >
    > Paul

  10. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    Paul Taylor wrote:
    > "Wilf" wrote in message
    >> When my wife's Psion 7 finally dies (see thread about Psion 7 Emulator on
    >> a PC) she will need a new PDA. Has anyone any advice as to what might be
    >> the best replacement? Palm and Windows mobile machines seem so small to
    >> her although I personally have used a Palm machine for years very happily.
    >> What have people you know changed over to?
    >> --
    >> Wilf

    > How about this?
    > http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=133334&tab=0
    >
    > I should have one delivered either this morning or on Monday.
    >
    > Paul

    looks interesting. Thanks.

    --
    Wilf

  11. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    "Richard van Stappershoef" wrote in
    message news:44de1515$0$60066$dbd4b001@news.wanadoo.nl...
    > Any chance of getting a copy of these files???
    > BTW, I thought the netBook only could work with CF up to 4Gb???

    They're almost all pdf document files for electronic components etc., not
    Psion-specific stuff!
    I find that PDF+ can't display all pdf files properly, but I organise the
    files in a relevent folder anyway.
    (e.g. pdf files from www.national.com are often unreadable with PDF+ on the
    Psion.)
    The databases similarily are really all data & notes about electronics
    components.

    It appears the netBook can see up to 4 partitions, and each has to be less
    than 4096 MB (FAT16).
    If so, then 4 x 4GB = 16 GB total.
    For some reason I thought that each partition could only be 2 GB max. Will
    find out when I try in 6-12 months?

    Interesting sites:
    http://psioneering.co.uk/digests/ e.g. number 831 (WOW, a huge Psion web
    site :-)
    http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/show...5&page=1&pp=15

    Paul

  12. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    Are you sure it will work? It seems a netbook has to have CF formatted with
    FAT16.
    Fat 16 supports up till 4Gb. The question here is: 4Gb Total or 4Gb per
    partition.....
    I can't test this myself, cause I only have 1Gb CF's and 1Gb MD's and
    smaller.

    Richard
    > "Richard van Stappershoef" wrote in
    > message news:44de1515$0$60066$dbd4b001@news.wanadoo.nl...
    >> Any chance of getting a copy of these files???
    >> BTW, I thought the netBook only could work with CF up to 4Gb???

    > They're almost all pdf document files for electronic components etc., not
    > Psion-specific stuff!
    > I find that PDF+ can't display all pdf files properly, but I organise the
    > files in a relevent folder anyway.
    > (e.g. pdf files from www.national.com are often unreadable with PDF+ on
    > the Psion.)
    > The databases similarily are really all data & notes about electronics
    > components.
    >
    > It appears the netBook can see up to 4 partitions, and each has to be less
    > than 4096 MB (FAT16).
    > If so, then 4 x 4GB = 16 GB total.
    > For some reason I thought that each partition could only be 2 GB max. Will
    > find out when I try in 6-12 months?
    >
    > Interesting sites:
    > http://psioneering.co.uk/digests/ e.g. number 831 (WOW, a huge Psion web
    > site :-)
    > http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/show...5&page=1&pp=15
    >
    > Paul

  13. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    "Richard van Stappershoef" wrote in
    message news:44ded296$0$60913$dbd4d001@news.wanadoo.nl...
    > Are you sure it will work? It seems a netbook has to have CF formatted
    > with FAT16.
    > Fat 16 supports up till 4Gb. The question here is: 4Gb Total or 4Gb per
    > partition.....
    > I can't test this myself, cause I only have 1Gb CF's and 1Gb MD's and
    > smaller.
    >
    > Richard

    You can have four partitions:
    http://www.pscience5.net/CFPartition.htm

    But the size limit (for each partition?) appears to be just under 4 GB:
    http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/knowpsion.htm

    I will probably buy an 8 or 16 GB card next year, so will find out then...
    The 8GB is already not a ridiculos price now e.g.
    http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/asp/prodt...ype=20518&ft=D

    Paul

  14. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    In article <44e03c99$1@news.greennet.net>, Paul Taylor wrote:
    > > Are you sure it will work? It seems a netbook has to have CF formatted
    > > with FAT16.
    > > Fat 16 supports up till 4Gb. The question here is: 4Gb Total or 4Gb per
    > > partition.....
    > > I can't test this myself, cause I only have 1Gb CF's and 1Gb MD's and
    > > smaller.
    > >
    > > Richard

    > You can have four partitions:
    > http://www.pscience5.net/CFPartition.htm
    >
    > But the size limit (for each partition?) appears to be just under 4 GB:
    > http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/knowpsion.htm

    For a modern BIOS (on PC hardware, not sure if this is relevant to
    Psion CF discs) you can have single devices up to a silly number of
    terabytes, but each can have only 4 PRIMARY partitions (described in a table
    in the first or second sector of the device, at an absolute address in a
    structure of fixed size); a maximum of one of those partition entries can
    describe the location and size of a secondary partition table, when that
    entry is described as an "extended partition. An arbitrary number (I can't
    remember a limit) of entries can exist in that secondary (extended)
    partition table, describing an arbitrary number of partitions in the
    extended partition area.
    For DOS to boot from a partition, it must IIRC be a primary
    partition. But that's not relevant here.
    I thought the limit on a FAT-16 partition was 2GB, not 4 (assuming
    512 bytes/sector, as is normal). That would mark a 4-fold step up from the
    limits on a FAT-12 partition - the infamous 512MB limit of DOS 4.something.
    DOS 3.something could only handle 32MB partitions. Hmmm, for 4 extra bits in
    the size of each file allocation table entry, one would expect a 2^4 =
    16-fold increase in partition size, or up to 8GB. Obviously I've forgotten
    some ancient history. I'll go back to watching 'Troy' - perhaps they'll
    remind me. I was originally thinking about the range of partitioning options
    available, not particularly the sizes.

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  15. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    "Aidan Karley"
    wrote in message
    news:VA.00001069.008c8265@validemailaddresstoa.new s.group...
    > For a modern BIOS (on PC hardware, not sure if this is relevant to
    > Psion CF discs) you can have single devices up to a silly number of
    > terabytes, but each can have only 4 PRIMARY partitions (described in a
    > table
    > in the first or second sector of the device, at an absolute address in a
    > structure of fixed size); a maximum of one of those partition entries can
    > describe the location and size of a secondary partition table, when that
    > entry is described as an "extended partition. An arbitrary number (I can't
    > remember a limit) of entries can exist in that secondary (extended)
    > partition table, describing an arbitrary number of partitions in the
    > extended partition area.
    > For DOS to boot from a partition, it must IIRC be a primary
    > partition. But that's not relevant here.
    > I thought the limit on a FAT-16 partition was 2GB, not 4 (assuming
    > 512 bytes/sector, as is normal). That would mark a 4-fold step up from the
    > limits on a FAT-12 partition - the infamous 512MB limit of DOS
    > 4.something.
    > DOS 3.something could only handle 32MB partitions. Hmmm, for 4 extra bits
    > in
    > the size of each file allocation table entry, one would expect a 2^4 =
    > 16-fold increase in partition size, or up to 8GB. Obviously I've forgotten
    > some ancient history. I'll go back to watching 'Troy' - perhaps they'll
    > remind me. I was originally thinking about the range of partitioning
    > options
    > available, not particularly the sizes.
    >
    > --
    > Aidan Karley, FGS
    > Aberdeen, Scotland
    > Written at Sun, 13 Aug 2006 14:04 +0100, but posted later.

    I was just looking at cluster sizes.
    The netBook shows "1447904K" of data on the 2 GB CF card
    1 447 904 * 1024 = 1 482 653 696 bytes.

    But Win XP (NTFS) only shows the CF backup as 1 211 531 053 bytes
    (size on disk = 1 235 714 048 bytes.)
    So the single-partition 2 GB CF card may have 271 122 643 bytes wasted
    space.

    http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/file/partCluster-c.html shows 32 kB cluster
    size with a 2 GB FAT16 partition, so it looks like even if the Psion can
    have a 4 GB FAT16 partition, it would mean huge wasted space (64 kB cluster
    size?). So I guess I'll keep my eye on the 8GB card price, and when I buy
    one, partition it as four x 2 GB.

    I just found 3 GB of archived downloads that would be nice to have on the
    Psion as well, but I can wait for now before buying another CF card :-)

    Paul

  16. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase.
    May I ask about the batteries, is the PRO 2200mAh pack really included ?
    This is a Psion teklogix product and very expensive.

    BTW I confirm, I am selling New german netbooks for 899 EUR and used
    english ones for 349 EUR.

    Christoph

  17. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    "Christoph Pulster" wrote in message
    > Glad to hear you are happy with your purchase.
    > May I ask about the batteries, is the PRO 2200mAh pack really included ?
    > This is a Psion teklogix product and very expensive.
    >
    > BTW I confirm, I am selling New german netbooks for 899 EUR and used
    > english ones for 349 EUR.
    >
    > Christoph

    Hello Christoph

    Yes, Expansys did say it was the teklogix battery. I had bought one a year
    or two ago for my S7, and used it today in the new machine while the new
    battery is left charging all day.
    http://www.clove.co.uk/viewProduct.a...C53B&Category=
    When I bought this battery from Clove, it was actually much cheaper than
    buying an original lower-capacity S7 battery from Expansys!

    The 2200 mAh battery powered the S7 (mostly left unused) for 10 hours with
    the backlight on full:
    http://www.prtaylor.co.uk/psion/batt.gif

    The cells themselves are very cheap, so there should be no reason to sell
    the packs (containing 3 cells and presumably a small protection PCB to
    prevent cell explosions) at a ridiculous price, especially given the limited
    life of the cells?

    I always used to avoid going below 10V, now I try to avoid going below 11V
    in a hope of extending the battery life.

    I was amazed to see the RAM upgrade module fitted, will be useful for
    opening a few big Data files :-)

    Paul

  18. Re: Replacement PDA after Psion 7 ?

    > Serial = JBBL851... = manufactured in 2000, so don't yet know whether the
    > motherboard can supply high current e.g. power to copy between two CF
    > cards (my S7 couldn't)

    Looks good. Copied a 38MB pdf file from a 2GB CF card to a 512MB CF card in
    a PCMCIA adaptor without causing a reset (with the backlight on full, should
    that matter).

+ Reply to Thread