Psion 7 Emulator on a PC - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 7 Emulator on a PC - Scion ; Hi, I hope this is the right NG for this question. My wife's Psion 7 is getting very unreliable now but she wants to keep on using it until it dies. She does regular backups on to our PC. But ...

  1. Psion 7 Emulator on a PC

    Hi,

    I hope this is the right NG for this question.

    My wife's Psion 7 is getting very unreliable now but she wants to keep
    on using it until it dies. She does regular backups on to our PC. But
    when the Psion is not attached to the PC you can't read the backups.
    What I'm looking for is an emulator, or some software, which will run on
    the PC and will be able to read and understand the Psion backup files
    including, in particular, the Agenda. Is there a Psion 7 emulator which
    runs on a PC? So that when her machine eventually gives up the ghost,
    she will still be able to look at all her documents and agenda until a
    replacement solution is found.

    Your help appreciated.
    --
    Wilf

  2. Re: Psion 7 Emulator on a PC

    In article <44D10878.8040508@wilf45728.com>,
    Wilf wrote:

    > My wife's Psion 7 is getting very unreliable now but she wants to keep
    > on using it until it dies. She does regular backups on to our PC. But
    > when the Psion is not attached to the PC you can't read the backups.
    > What I'm looking for is an emulator, or some software, which will run on
    > the PC and will be able to read and understand the Psion backup files
    > including, in particular, the Agenda. Is there a Psion 7 emulator which
    > runs on a PC? So that when her machine eventually gives up the ghost,
    > she will still be able to look at all her documents and agenda until a
    > replacement solution is found.

    The Psion software development kit (SDK) includes a complete version of
    the Psion roms. Not an emulator, but it means a replica of the Psion
    running as an application under Windows 98 (I don't know if it runs
    under Windows XP).

    The smallest version would probably be the OPL SDK, at around 25
    megabytes. It is as if you have a Psion working on your PC.

    You should note this is NOT a suitable solution for transferring
    documents to other PDAs, as that requires syncing from an actual Psion.
    For retaining access to documents, you should convert each document into
    a more standard format, while syncing with PsiWin. Access to the PsiWin
    document conversion facility is NOT available from the SDK.

    Not sure where the SDK is hiding on the web this year, but various
    people will have copies. It is free.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  3. Re: Psion 7 Emulator on a PC

    Moin!

    Wilf schrieb:

    > Is there a Psion 7 emulator which
    > runs on a PC? So that when her machine eventually gives up the ghost,
    > she will still be able to look at all her documents and agenda until a
    > replacement solution is found.

    Yes, there is. You need to install a SDK (Software Development Kit), which
    includes an emulator.

    http://www.psionteklogix.com/teknet/..._downloads.htm

    I would recommend the "Symbian OS 5 SDK for Java" (simply because it's by
    far the smallest download and install).
    Some tips can be found e.g. here:
    http://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/ps...or32_java.html

    Hej då

  4. Re: Psion 7 Emulator on a PC

    In article , Eric
    Lindsay wrote:
    > You should note this is NOT a suitable solution for transferring
    > documents to other PDAs, as that requires syncing from an actual Psion.
    > For retaining access to documents, you should convert each document into
    > a more standard format, while syncing with PsiWin. Access to the PsiWin
    > document conversion facility is NOT available from the SDK.

    That's a touch confusing.
    If you have backed up the Psion to the PC by copying the files from
    the Psion to the PC, then the PsiWin Converter should be able to read and
    convert those files on the PC without the Psion being involved.
    That certainly works for static files like Word documents and Sheet
    sheets, but I can't speak for "live" documents like emails.
    The conversions aren't perfect, but are good enough.

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  5. Re: Psion 7 Emulator on a PC

    Hi,

    Aidan, that only works with documents PsiWin recognises, basically just documents the Psion built-in software made.

    However there is an emulator version of nConvert which can help in some cases.

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "Time wounds all heels."

    http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/diabetes.html
    http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/index.html

  6. Re: Psion 7 Emulator on a PC

    In article , Phil Aypee wrote:
    > However there is an emulator version of nConvert which can help in some cases.

    Not met that program, probably because I've not used any significant
    number of non-Psion packages.
    For me, Psions are about form factor and battery life. A basic set of
    software on top of that fulfills my regular needs. A better database might be
    nice, but I haven't felt the need often enough to really think about looking for
    one. For the Psion(s), or for home.

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  7. Re: Psion 7 Emulator on a PC

    Wilf wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I hope this is the right NG for this question.
    >
    > My wife's Psion 7 is getting very unreliable now but she wants to keep
    > on using it until it dies. She does regular backups on to our PC. But
    > when the Psion is not attached to the PC you can't read the backups.
    > What I'm looking for is an emulator, or some software, which will run on
    > the PC and will be able to read and understand the Psion backup files
    > including, in particular, the Agenda. Is there a Psion 7 emulator which
    > runs on a PC? So that when her machine eventually gives up the ghost,
    > she will still be able to look at all her documents and agenda until a
    > replacement solution is found.
    >
    > Your help appreciated.

    Many thanks to all who replied to this question - I shall be installing
    an SDK very soon.

    --
    Wilf

  8. Re: Psion 7 Emulator on a PC

    Hi Aidan,

    If you want a better database there are two free ones.

    Powerbase (on Martin Guthrie's site) and PsiDat (on Kevin Millican's site),
    They're both relational.
    I was trying Powerbase first so I find that easier but people seem to be evenly split.

    I haven't tried Smallbase or any others (if they exist).

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "Time wounds all heels."

    http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/diabetes.html