S7 upgrade to netBook problem - Scion

This is a discussion on S7 upgrade to netBook problem - Scion ; Hi, I'm new to the Psion, and have a Series 7 which I want to upgrade with the netBook personality module. I installed the module and downloaded the netBook OS from psionteklogix - which I put on a 256MB CF ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

  1. S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    Hi, I'm new to the Psion, and have a Series 7 which I want to upgrade
    with the netBook personality module. I installed the module and
    downloaded the netBook OS from psionteklogix - which I put on a 256MB
    CF card formatted as FAT16. I followed the advise to remove all
    batteries for a while then booted up. I see the netBook splash screen
    and a progress bar as it reads from the CF card. Then a single beep and
    a white screen. Nothing else. I tried a couple of different CF cards
    but the behaviour is always the same.
    Any suggestions? I hope the upgrade module isn't faulty (I wouldn't see
    the splash screen and progess bar, right?) so I guess there may be a
    problem with the CF card or OS. Any help appreciated.

  2. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    Hi Andrew,

    Which OS do you have exactly?
    In my mind I have the idea that you need a special version, but I'm not 100%
    sure.
    I have used this myself and it was working great.
    Here I downloaded it: http://www.hasbrouck.org/netbook
    Hope you are succesfull with it.

    Keep on Psioning,

    Richard van Stappershoef

    "arawata" schreef in bericht
    news:1153434455.745808.211800@s13g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hi, I'm new to the Psion, and have a Series 7 which I want to upgrade
    > with the netBook personality module. I installed the module and
    > downloaded the netBook OS from psionteklogix - which I put on a 256MB
    > CF card formatted as FAT16. I followed the advise to remove all
    > batteries for a while then booted up. I see the netBook splash screen
    > and a progress bar as it reads from the CF card. Then a single beep and
    > a white screen. Nothing else. I tried a couple of different CF cards
    > but the behaviour is always the same.
    > Any suggestions? I hope the upgrade module isn't faulty (I wouldn't see
    > the splash screen and progess bar, right?) so I guess there may be a
    > problem with the CF card or OS. Any help appreciated.

  3. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    Thanks for the reply, Richard. I am trying the SargeBook Debian from
    SourceForge.
    I'll try the MalayBook as you suggest.
    Cheers.

    Richard van Stappershoef wrote:
    > Hi Andrew,
    >
    > Which OS do you have exactly?

  4. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    I'm using the NetBook OS rel. 450 (UK language).
    I'll try your suggested MalayBook OS too.

    Thanks
    Andrew

    Richard van Stappershoef wrote:
    > Hi Andrew,
    >
    > Which OS do you have exactly?
    > In my mind I have the idea that you need a special version, but I'm not 100%
    > sure.
    > I have used this myself and it was working great.
    > Here I downloaded it: http://www.hasbrouck.org/netbook
    > Hope you are succesfull with it.
    >
    > Keep on Psioning,
    >
    > Richard van Stappershoef
    >

    > "arawata" schreef in bericht
    > news:1153434455.745808.211800@s13g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > > Hi, I'm new to the Psion, and have a Series 7 which I want to upgrade
    > > with the netBook personality module. I installed the module and
    > > downloaded the netBook OS from psionteklogix - which I put on a 256MB
    > > CF card formatted as FAT16. I followed the advise to remove all
    > > batteries for a while then booted up. I see the netBook splash screen
    > > and a progress bar as it reads from the CF card. Then a single beep and
    > > a white screen. Nothing else. I tried a couple of different CF cards
    > > but the behaviour is always the same.
    > > Any suggestions? I hope the upgrade module isn't faulty (I wouldn't see
    > > the splash screen and progess bar, right?) so I guess there may be a
    > > problem with the CF card or OS. Any help appreciated.

  5. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    arawata wrote:

    > Hi, I'm new to the Psion, and have a Series 7 which I want to upgrade
    > with the netBook personality module. I installed the module and
    > downloaded the netBook OS from psionteklogix - which I put on a 256MB
    > CF card formatted as FAT16. I followed the advise to remove all
    > batteries for a while then booted up. I see the netBook splash screen
    > and a progress bar as it reads from the CF card. Then a single beep and
    > a white screen. Nothing else. I tried a couple of different CF cards
    > but the behaviour is always the same.
    > Any suggestions? I hope the upgrade module isn't faulty (I wouldn't see
    > the splash screen and progess bar, right?) so I guess there may be a
    > problem with the CF card or OS. Any help appreciated.

    Did you rename the OS-file to OS.IMG?
    Also check this link under 'General notes'
    http://www.ericlindsay.com/epoc/psion7.htm

  6. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    Hi,

    Malaybook is a special version of the Netbook with a special ROM, that
    locks the machine to boot ONLY the Malaybook EPOC OS.

    You have a Series 7. After upgrading it with a Netbook ROM module, use
    the standard EPOC system distribution from Psion.

    Did you remove any RAM upgrades and backup cell on the upgrade process ?

    Christoph

  7. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    I'm almost sure you had a bad OS on your CF card.
    You can pick up the OS (USA or UK, etcetera) and many other useful
    files here:

    http://www.pscience5.net/psifilesepoc.htm

    Give it a try and good luck. Let us know what happens.

  8. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    "Bob G" wrote in message
    news:1153507939.473724.15320@i42g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > I'm almost sure you had a bad OS on your CF card.
    > You can pick up the OS (USA or UK, etcetera) and many other useful
    > files here:
    >
    > http://www.pscience5.net/psifilesepoc.htm
    >
    > Give it a try and good luck. Let us know what happens.

    When I had problems boot loading long ago I used the serial cable instead:
    (think I used Hyperterminal?)
    http://netwinder.osuosl.org/users/c/...k/booting.html

    The OS.IMG file I was trying to use was corrupted on one occasion, didn't
    help!

    If even the serial load won't work maybe it's one of the S7's that wont run
    full speed? (if really true)

    Did you remove all batteries before swapping modules? :-)

    Static discharge may possibly be another issue. Voltages you can't even feel
    can cause over an amp to flow.
    e.g. 3000 V / 1500 ohms = 2 A

    I'd remove all batteries and leave it unpowered as long as possible before
    trying again.

  9. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    Thanks for all the replies. It's good to see this forum is still
    active, as I think I'm going to need a lot of help!
    I tried a fresh download of "nb_450uk.zip" from
    http://www.ericlindsay.com/epoc/psion7.htm
    and unzipped it to my CF card (using a card reader on a windows PC -
    not via a serial connection to the PSION, if that helps). I did rename
    the file to OS.IMG, then placed it in the PSION. The batteries had been
    out for about 1/2 hour.
    I then replaced the batteries and fired it up. And ... same thing.
    After the loading progress bar, I just get a beep and a whit screen.
    I've read on a site that people recommend renaming the file to OS.IMG
    only under EPOC, not when the CF card is attached to some other 'puter.
    Is this likely to help?
    Any other tricks I could try?

    Thanks for all the help

  10. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    I'd try the ymodem upload with the serial cable. If serial works, at least
    you know the machine is OK.

    I've found that I very rarely need to re-boot, so not a great problem if it
    takes half an hour to do if you can't find a compatible CF card?

  11. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    As an aside, and a possible shortcut to solving my problem, is it
    possible to purchase a CF card with the netBook OS already installed?
    That way, I'd be sure to have a compatible CF card and a known-working
    OS. If it works then great - if not, I'd know it's a hardware issue.

    Anyone know a source for a pre-configured CF card?

    arawata

  12. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    arawata wrote:

    > As an aside, and a possible shortcut to solving my problem, is it
    > possible to purchase a CF card with the netBook OS already installed?
    > That way, I'd be sure to have a compatible CF card and a known-working
    > OS. If it works then great - if not, I'd know it's a hardware issue.

    Would be hard to find one, I think.
    eBay maybe?

    If you didn't already, to pin down the problem you could try:

    Mount your S7 personality module and load your *original* S7 OS.IMG and
    start your S7.

    Remove CF-card and put it in CF-reader on your PC.
    Make a md5sum of your S7 OS.IMG when sitting in card reader.
    Make a note of it.
    Copy the original S7 OS.IMG to your PC.
    Copy this file to the CF-card you plan to use for your netBook OS.IMG
    Make a md5sum of the file on card and compare to the original.
    If they match, copy process went OK.
    If not, something's wrong... try another card, another card reader...?
    Insert card in your S7, rename the file OS.IMG. It already has this name,
    but do it again!

    (The OS-file should be located in the root directory of the card, that is,
    not in a sub-"folder" of some sort)

    Remove batteries etc., restart.
    If your S7 boots OK, CF-card is OK. If not, try another card.

    Make a md5sum of the netBook OS-file on your PC.
    Make a note of it.
    Put CF-card in reader and delete or rename the copy of the S7 OS-file.
    Copy the netBook OS-file to card.
    Make a md5sum of file on card.
    Compare the two md5sum.
    If they match, copy is good.
    If not, well I really don't know...try again...

    Insert card in your (still) S7.
    Rename OS-file to OS.IMG
    (according to the README in the download it's important this is done on the
    Psion. So if you already did, do it again!)

    Remove batteries from your S7, swap modules, restart.

    If this doesn't do it I would think the netBook module is broken, your
    downloaded OS-file is corrupt or your S7 isn't up to the task.

  13. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    "arawata" wrote in message
    news:1153696506.309918.170300@75g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    > As an aside, and a possible shortcut to solving my problem, is it
    > possible to purchase a CF card with the netBook OS already installed?
    > That way, I'd be sure to have a compatible CF card and a known-working
    > OS. If it works then great - if not, I'd know it's a hardware issue.
    >
    > Anyone know a source for a pre-configured CF card?
    >
    > arawata

    Don't you have a serial cable to use?
    http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=TMP_PSI_CABLE (last stock)
    http://www.clove.co.uk/products/acce...intElement=607

  14. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    Thanks for the detailed instructions. I'll try this at home tonight.

    Iordani wrote:
    > arawata wrote:
    >
    > > As an aside, and a possible shortcut to solving my problem, is it
    > > possible to purchase a CF card with the netBook OS already installed?
    > > That way, I'd be sure to have a compatible CF card and a known-working
    > > OS. If it works then great - if not, I'd know it's a hardware issue.

    > Would be hard to find one, I think.
    > eBay maybe?
    >
    > If you didn't already, to pin down the problem you could try:
    >
    > Mount your S7 personality module and load your *original* S7 OS.IMG and
    > start your S7.
    >
    > Remove CF-card and put it in CF-reader on your PC.
    > Make a md5sum of your S7 OS.IMG when sitting in card reader.
    > Make a note of it.
    > Copy the original S7 OS.IMG to your PC.
    > Copy this file to the CF-card you plan to use for your netBook OS.IMG
    > Make a md5sum of the file on card and compare to the original.
    > If they match, copy process went OK.
    > If not, something's wrong... try another card, another card reader...?
    > Insert card in your S7, rename the file OS.IMG. It already has this name,
    > but do it again!
    >
    > (The OS-file should be located in the root directory of the card, that is,
    > not in a sub-"folder" of some sort)
    >
    > Remove batteries etc., restart.
    > If your S7 boots OK, CF-card is OK. If not, try another card.
    >
    > Make a md5sum of the netBook OS-file on your PC.
    > Make a note of it.
    > Put CF-card in reader and delete or rename the copy of the S7 OS-file.
    > Copy the netBook OS-file to card.
    > Make a md5sum of file on card.
    > Compare the two md5sum.
    > If they match, copy is good.
    > If not, well I really don't know...try again...
    >
    > Insert card in your (still) S7.
    > Rename OS-file to OS.IMG
    > (according to the README in the download it's important this is done on the
    > Psion. So if you already did, do it again!)
    >
    > Remove batteries from your S7, swap modules, restart.
    >
    > If this doesn't do it I would think the netBook module is broken, your
    > downloaded OS-file is corrupt or your S7 isn't up to the task.

  15. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    I tried the "load via serial cable" method last night and had exactly
    the same result. After approx 30 minutes to load the OS.IMG file, it
    went straight to a white screen.
    I'm beginning to think this S7 might not be upgradable. The original
    personality module was version 754 but I had successfully applied the
    patch to 756.
    It still boots fine as an S7 - with and without a 32MB memory upgrade.
    If all else fails, I'll try the Linux path!

    arawata

    Paul Taylor wrote:
    > "arawata" wrote in message
    > news:1153696506.309918.170300@75g2000cwc.googlegro ups.com...
    > > As an aside, and a possible shortcut to solving my problem, is it
    > > possible to purchase a CF card with the netBook OS already installed?
    > > That way, I'd be sure to have a compatible CF card and a known-working
    > > OS. If it works then great - if not, I'd know it's a hardware issue.
    > >
    > > Anyone know a source for a pre-configured CF card?
    > >
    > > arawata

    > Don't you have a serial cable to use?
    > http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=TMP_PSI_CABLE (last stock)
    > http://www.clove.co.uk/products/acce...intElement=607

  16. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    JFI, we have a Psion Netbook repair service and can fix your problem
    for a 89 EUR flat rate.

    Christoph
    www.pulster.de

  17. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    Thanks for the offer, Christoph, but I think the postage to/from
    Australia would be a little prohibitive!

    Just to finish this thread off, I bit the bullet and tried SargeBook v5
    Linux on the 7Book last night - and it worked out of the box. So it
    looks like it wasn't a hardware problem - must have been something to
    do with the OS.IMG file(s) I tried, or maybe the CF card.
    Anyway, I'll play with Linux for a while and maybe have another go with
    the NetBook OS some other time.
    Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.

    arawata

    Christoph Pulster wrote:
    > JFI, we have a Psion Netbook repair service and can fix your problem
    > for a 89 EUR flat rate.
    >
    > Christoph
    > www.pulster.de

  18. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    Hi Andrew,

    I'm also interested in trying to run Linux on my Psion. Can you help me out
    here?
    Where to download, which files to install etc.

    Thanks in advance,

    Richard van Stappershoef

    "arawata" schreef in bericht
    news:1153866274.784402.10330@75g2000cwc.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Thanks for the offer, Christoph, but I think the postage to/from
    > Australia would be a little prohibitive!
    >
    > Just to finish this thread off, I bit the bullet and tried SargeBook v5
    > Linux on the 7Book last night - and it worked out of the box. So it
    > looks like it wasn't a hardware problem - must have been something to
    > do with the OS.IMG file(s) I tried, or maybe the CF card.
    > Anyway, I'll play with Linux for a while and maybe have another go with
    > the NetBook OS some other time.
    > Thanks for all the suggestions, everyone.
    >
    > arawata
    >
    > Christoph Pulster wrote:
    >> JFI, we have a Psion Netbook repair service and can fix your problem
    >> for a 89 EUR flat rate.
    >>
    >> Christoph
    >> www.pulster.de

  19. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    All the info you need is at www.OpenPsion.org. You'll find a HOWTO
    document plus links to SourceForge for the downloads. In brief:

    1) Format a small (say 20MB) FAT16 partition on your CF card
    2) Format the remainder of your CF card as a Linux partition
    3) Copy the SargeBook v5 OS.IMG file to the FAT16 partition
    4) Unpack the SargeBook v5 tgz file to the Linux partition
    5) Install the CF card into your Psion and reboot.

    A couple of thoughts so far - the hardest part is getting the CF card
    partitioned appropriately. I needed to use a Linux PC to do this - I
    just used a Linux Live CD to boot up my WinXP PC into Linux so I could
    use the appropriate partitioning commands. Also, I am a complete linux
    noob but I'm finding this SargeBook to be pretty tough. I get lots of
    errors trying to install apps and the touchscreen occasionally crashes.
    I haven't even tried yet to set up a network or internet connection.
    This is going to be some steep learning curve!
    Lots of luck!
    Andrew

    Richard van Stappershoef wrote:
    > Hi Andrew,
    >
    > I'm also interested in trying to run Linux on my Psion. Can you help me out
    > here?
    > Where to download, which files to install etc.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Richard van Stappershoef

  20. Re: S7 upgrade to netBook problem

    arawata wrote:

    > This is going to be some steep learning curve!

    As I remember, Linux for netBook is to be considered alpha, maybe beta.
    Also there was no way of shutting down the normal way, so you had to
    reboot every time you start. Did anyone come up with a fix for this yet?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast