3MX to USB Port Backup - Scion

This is a discussion on 3MX to USB Port Backup - Scion ; I've got 3 mX and normal 9pin serial cable. I've recently ditched my desktop pc for Sony Vaio laptop that only has USB ports. Can anybody tell me where I can buy 3MX to USB cable. Many Thanks Enquirer....

  1. 3MX to USB Port Backup

    I've got 3 mX and normal 9pin serial cable. I've recently ditched my
    desktop pc for Sony Vaio laptop that only has USB ports. Can anybody tell
    me where I can buy 3MX to USB cable.

    Many Thanks

    Enquirer.

  2. Re: 3MX to USB Port Backup

    enquirer wrote:
    > I've got 3 mX and normal 9pin serial cable. I've recently ditched my
    > desktop pc for Sony Vaio laptop that only has USB ports. Can anybody tell
    > me where I can buy 3MX to USB cable.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer.

    You can't, but you can get USB to serial adapters.

    Stuart

  3. Re: 3MX to USB Port Backup

    "Srtgray" wrote in message
    > enquirer wrote:
    >> I've got 3 mX and normal 9pin serial cable. I've recently ditched my
    >> desktop pc for Sony Vaio laptop that only has USB ports. Can anybody
    >> tell me where I can buy 3MX to USB cable.
    >>
    >> Many Thanks
    >>
    >> Enquirer.

    > You can't, but you can get USB to serial adapters.

    However, you need to be aware than PsiWin is not always overly happy about
    USB to RS232 converters.

  4. Re: 3MX to USB Port Backup

    Surely there must be somebody here who IS doing it???

    What hardware (make, Model, where from?) and what settings?

    Many thanks for positive reply.

    Regards

    enquirer
    (using Psions since LZ64)

    "M.I.5" wrote in message

    > "Srtgray" wrote in message
    >> enquirer wrote:
    >>> I've got 3 mX and normal 9pin serial cable. I've recently ditched my
    >>> desktop pc for Sony Vaio laptop that only has USB ports. Can anybody
    >>> tell me where I can buy 3MX to USB cable.
    >>>
    >>> Many Thanks
    >>>
    >>> Enquirer.

    >> You can't, but you can get USB to serial adapters.
    >>

    > However, you need to be aware than PsiWin is not always overly happy about
    > USB to RS232 converters.

  5. Re: 3MX to USB Port Backup

    enquirer wrote:

    > Surely there must be somebody here who IS doing it???

    Whatfor? Infrared works like a charm ...

    Greets, Dirk
    --
    "You never know what is enough until you know what is too much."
    William Blake, nicely 200 years ago

  6. Re: 3MX to USB Port Backup

    yes there are many peopel who try to do this, but not all were
    successful.

    The problem is, that USB-serial adaptors are avaiable everywhere and
    it is a product changing brand and appaerance frequently, so it is not
    of much use to tell some precise brand since this one will not exist
    next week anyway.

    You can go to the next computer shop where ever you live and ask for
    USB-serial adaptor.
    Inside this part which looks like a gender changer connector or
    somerimes comes with cable, there is lot of complex electronics which
    will act as USB client to the USB master port on your PC. You might be
    then prompted via the appropriate driver to select a virtual serial
    port. Whatever you select, you will have to select then in the psiwin
    too. I have no idea if psiwin will support any of the exotic high
    numbers of serial ports, so try to use one of the lower once if
    possible.

    The trouble is, that some of the devices will provide you with some
    virtual port of number 17, the other will claim to provide a serial
    port, but have wired internaly only pin 2,3 and 5 and psion needs full
    hardwired port.

    As I stated above, probabaly noone can tell you what device you will
    get in your local shop, and the shop will also not give you any advise
    except that 'sure all works'.

    What you need:
    USB to Serial RS232 adaptor, the serial port having full hardwired
    connections for handshake , not only the pin 2,3 and 5.

  7. Re: 3MX to USB Port Backup

    enquirer wrote:
    > I've got 3 mX and normal 9pin serial cable. I've recently ditched my
    > desktop pc for Sony Vaio laptop that only has USB ports. Can anybody tell
    > me where I can buy 3MX to USB cable.
    >
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer.

    3mx doesn't have any USB circuitry in it, so you can't have a USB lead
    for it. As Dirk Straka says, you can get a USB to serial converter,
    that will allow you to use your existing serial lead.

  8. Re: 3MX to USB Port Backup

    Stephen wrote:

    > enquirer wrote:
    >> I've got 3 mX and normal 9pin serial cable. I've recently
    >> ditched my desktop pc for Sony Vaio laptop that only has USB
    >> ports. Can anybody tell me where I can buy 3MX to USB cable.
    >>
    >> Many Thanks
    >>
    >> Enquirer.

    > 3mx doesn't have any USB circuitry in it, so you can't have
    > a USB lead for it. As Dirk Straka says, you can get a USB to
    > serial converter, that will allow you to use your existing
    > serial lead.

    Stuart recommended the converter, I suggested IR.

    Greets, Dirk
    --
    "You never know what is enough until you know what is too much."
    William Blake, nicely 200 years ago

  9. Re: 3MX to USB Port Backup

    Dirk Straka wrote:
    > Stephen wrote:
    >
    > > enquirer wrote:
    > >> I've got 3 mX and normal 9pin serial cable. I've recently
    > >> ditched my desktop pc for Sony Vaio laptop that only has USB
    > >> ports. Can anybody tell me where I can buy 3MX to USB cable.
    > >>
    > >> Many Thanks
    > >>
    > >> Enquirer.

    > > 3mx doesn't have any USB circuitry in it, so you can't have
    > > a USB lead for it. As Dirk Straka says, you can get a USB to
    > > serial converter, that will allow you to use your existing
    > > serial lead.

    > Stuart recommended the converter, I suggested IR.
    >

    > Greets, Dirk
    > --
    > "You never know what is enough until you know what is too much."
    > William Blake, nicely 200 years ago

    You're right, I don't know hwo I did that, but being posted at 10:00 I
    can only assume that I hadn't drunk enough coffee yet.

  10. Re: 3MX to USB Port Backup

    In article , Enquirer wrote:
    > I've recently ditched my
    > desktop pc for Sony Vaio laptop that only has USB ports. Can anybody tell
    > me where I can buy 3MX to USB cable.

    Others have talked of the (potential) woes of USB-2-Serial adaptors,
    but unless your laptop is particularly weird, you may have an alternative -
    find a PCMCIA serial port card. That should add a couple of *hardware* serial
    ports to your laptop, which might circumvent some of PsiWin's issues with
    flaky USB-2Serial adaptors and their drivers.
    (I haven't tried this myself, not having used PsiWin for 2 laptops
    now. Comments, anyone?)

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  11. Re: 3MX to USB Port Backup

    In article , Otto Sykora
    wrote:
    > USB to Serial RS232 adaptor, the serial port having full hardwired
    > connections for handshake , not only the pin 2,3 and 5.

    Pins TxD, RxD and SigGnd, meaning transmitted data, received
    data, and signal ground. The "naming of parts" is a slippery subject
    for specifying things to suppliers. In this example, the pinouts you
    describe are specific only for a conventionally-wired 9-pin connector.
    25-pin connectors are also within-standard, and a myriad of other
    possibilities.

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  12. Re: 3MX to USB Port Backup

    not tried myself, but think this might lead to more correct and
    reliable solution, since the serial card adaptors are made for
    industrial applications and there is no reason why they should not be
    fully wired serial ports on them.

  13. Re: 3MX to USB Port Backup

    In article <0bk6b21lra1cej2um8svmtht1m3te1627b@4ax.com>, Otto Sykora
    wrote:
    > since the serial card adaptors are made for
    > industrial applications and there is no reason why they should not be
    > fully wired serial ports on them.

    Indeed. And since 30-year-old industrial equipment may only be
    half-way through it's planned lifetime, then devices for interfacing
    with them are going to continue to be around for a good time yet.

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  14. Re: 3MX to USB Port Backup

    Moin!

    Aidan Karley schrieb:

    > In article , Otto Sykora
    > wrote:
    >> USB to Serial RS232 adaptor, the serial port having full hardwired
    >> connections for handshake , not only the pin 2,3 and 5.
    >>

    > Pins TxD, RxD and SigGnd, meaning transmitted data, received
    > data, and signal ground. The "naming of parts" is a slippery subject
    > for specifying things to suppliers. In this example, the pinouts you
    > describe are specific only for a conventionally-wired 9-pin connector.
    > 25-pin connectors are also within-standard, and a myriad of other
    > possibilities.

    25-pin connectors are *the* RS232 standard. The 9-pin mini version was
    created because IBM wanted to put a serial port and a parallel port on one
    card. So the minimized both; the relicts of the "real" centronics parallel
    connector can still be found at some printers, at the computer side the
    dsub connector is nearly solely found.

    Bye

+ Reply to Thread