OT: Samsung PDA - Scion

This is a discussion on OT: Samsung PDA - Scion ; http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/335/C1757/ Apparently the Nokia 770's successor may have a slide-out keyboard?...

  1. OT: Samsung PDA

    http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/335/C1757/

    Apparently the Nokia 770's successor may have a slide-out keyboard?

  2. Re: OT: Samsung PDA

    Not really off topic many who frequent this space are waiting for a
    worthy 5mx successor.

    That Samsung Nexio S160 5" PDA came out about three years ago. I had a
    look at it. Crappy keyboard. Overpriced. Poor overall design.

    I'm thinking of getting a Palm with a third party keyboard.

    Anyone have any experience with?

    Paul Taylor wrote:
    > http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/335/C1757/
    >
    > Apparently the Nokia 770's successor may have a slide-out keyboard?

  3. Re: OT: Samsung PDA

    Noah Spamm a écrit :
    > [...]
    > I'm thinking of getting a Palm with a third party keyboard.
    >
    > Anyone have any experience with?

    I'm currently testing a Palm Tungsten C, with embedded keyboard (instead of the
    graffiti space) and wifi.

    Works ok.

    Pros, compared to 5MX :
    - screen is more readable and color
    - wifi, not very good (sometime difficult to get network working), but can work
    with patience...
    - sync through USB and wifi
    - smaller, really fits in a shirt pocket
    - rechargeable battery
    - I can sync my Thunderbird address book with the Palm

    Cons, compared to 5MX :
    - screen and keyboard are smaller,
    - keyboard cannot be used with more than two fingers, due to its size. OK for
    chatting or typing an address, not for writing a long document.
    - sync only via serial link (not possible on most modern laptops)
    - PalmOS is not an OS compared to EPOC... I miss it !

    Equivalents :
    - software offer is comparable with EPOC : lots of free stuff.
    - CF 1 card slot on 5MX
    - SD card slot on Palm Tungsten C

    Global feeling is : you can go for it if you wish to use already-made software.
    You will find what you need (I suppose, I don't really know what you need...)

    I did not try with an external keyboard.

    Charly

  4. Re: OT: Samsung PDA

    Charly:

    > I'm currently testing a Palm Tungsten C, with embedded keyboard
    > (instead of the graffiti space) and wifi.

    > Works ok.

    > Pros, compared to 5MX :

    [...]
    > - rechargeable battery

    I would consider this a disadvantage. Having both Psion 5mx and Mako,
    I am much more comfortable with replaceable battery of Psion than with
    the rechargeable battery of Mako.

    Sergei

  5. Re: OT: Samsung PDA

    Sergei opined
    >Charly:

    >> I'm currently testing a Palm Tungsten C, with embedded keyboard
    >> (instead of the graffiti space) and wifi.

    >> Works ok.

    >> Pros, compared to 5MX :

    >[...]
    >> - rechargeable battery

    >I would consider this a disadvantage. Having both Psion 5mx and Mako,
    >I am much more comfortable with replaceable battery of Psion than with
    >the rechargeable battery of Mako.

    And as an example, I was at a weekend conference, when the rechargeable
    AAs in my Psion 5mx expired. (I'd picked up the uncharged set to take
    with me.) A kind colleague, said "I've a pair of Alkalines in my room",
    and presented me with them. Problem solved. Best of both worlds.

    Mike

    Michael J Davis

    Pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/watchman/
    <><
    For this is what the Lord has said to me,
    "Go and post a Watchman and let
    him report what he sees." Isa 21:6
    <><

  6. Re: OT: Samsung PDA

    Michael J Davis wrote:
    > Sergei opined
    >
    >> Charly:

    >>> I'm currently testing a Palm Tungsten C, with embedded keyboard
    >>> (instead of the graffiti space) and wifi.

    >>> Works ok.

    >>> Pros, compared to 5MX :

    >> [...]
    >>
    >>> - rechargeable battery

    >> I would consider this a disadvantage. Having both Psion 5mx and Mako,
    >> I am much more comfortable with replaceable battery of Psion than with
    >> the rechargeable battery of Mako.

    > And as an example, I was at a weekend conference, when the rechargeable
    > AAs in my Psion 5mx expired. (I'd picked up the uncharged set to take
    > with me.) A kind colleague, said "I've a pair of Alkalines in my room",
    > and presented me with them. Problem solved. Best of both worlds.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > [The reply-to address is valid for 30 days from this posting]

    Actually, best of both worlds would have been Psion including a charging
    curcuit like the HP200LX.

    Stuart

  7. Re: OT: Samsung PDA

    evrybody who tried to work with rechargablöe battereis other then lead
    acid in winter time outside will find that those rechargable battereis
    are just a big, big problem, since they will not work bellow abt zero
    centigrade.

    Option for some simple battereis is for me ultimative.

+ Reply to Thread