What is a good Psion replacement? - Scion

This is a discussion on What is a good Psion replacement? - Scion ; Hi all, I've been using my Psion S5 since 1997, and in the meantime I upgraded to an S5mx. I love it more than any other techie thing I own, but I have slowly come to realize that it can't ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 46

  1. What is a good Psion replacement?

    Hi all,
    I've been using my Psion S5 since 1997, and in the meantime I upgraded
    to an S5mx. I love it more than any other techie thing I own, but I
    have slowly come to realize that it can't go on being my favorite
    thing. All this year, I have been looking in vain for a modern
    replacement that works as well.

    In my daily life, I have a work laptop that I rarely lug around, a work
    cell phone and bluetooth headset, a personal cell phone, a digital
    camera, and my Psion. It's just too much stuff, and much of it overlaps
    in features.

    Must-have's for my next PDA would be
    - doing calendar and contacts well,
    - also does GSM 900/1800,
    - has bluetooth so I can speak in a headset,
    - has WLAN so I don't need a data cable,
    - has a touch screen,
    - has a Psion-quality keyboard. (good enough to type *pages* rather
    than just *words*)
    - battery life measured in days or weeks, not hours.
    A camera, and even a color screen, is merely "nice to have".

    I tried the Nokia and Vodafone flagships, but they both lack a useful
    keyboard. The Nokia lacked a touch screen, and the Windows Mobile OS of
    the Vodafone was painfully slow, though otherwise impressive.

    I can't seem to find anything that fits my needs. Can it really be that
    nobody has yet produced a "Psion Series 2006"? Am I just too picky?

    Cheers,
    Torben / torben@g-b.dk

  2. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    >I can't seem to find anything that fits my needs. Can it really be that
    nobody has yet produced a "Psion Series 2006"? Am I just too picky?<

    I am trying also to find something like that, but none seems to care
    of such customers as we are.

    Asking my collegues, they say they did never write anything into their
    PDA except few changes in calendar etc, they seem all to sync with MS
    windoze.

    For them PDA must be small, synch with office apps, some people like
    to have it as nav tool in the car as well.

    So noone will produce something nice as psion did, customer do not
    need it.

    Furthermore: features like camera and wlan are prohibited on many
    workplaces (espionage??) so the market is for hobby only, not for the
    proffessional user.

  3. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    In article <1150278104.787079.309710@h76g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    torbengb@gmail.com wrote:

    > I can't seem to find anything that fits my needs. Can it really be that
    > nobody has yet produced a "Psion Series 2006"? Am I just too picky?

    You're just part of the tiny minority who prefer a good keyboard over
    shirt-pocket compatibility (mutually exclusive). Go for a touchscreen
    (-only) PDA and buy an external keyboard.

    --
    Tobias Weber

  4. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Otto Sykora wrote:
    > Asking my collegues, they say they did never write anything into their
    > PDA except few changes in calendar etc, they seem all to sync with MS
    > windoze.
    > For them PDA must be small, synch with office apps, some people like
    > to have it as nav tool in the car as well.

    True, and essentially all PDAs are marketed as a PC companion (and then
    the wishes of your colleagues make perfect sense) rather a micro-laptop
    like we Psioners are used to.

    > Furthermore: features like camera and wlan are prohibited on many
    > workplaces (espionage??) so the market is for hobby only, not for the
    > professional user.

    Not entirely, for instance, the Vodafone VPA IV and Nokia Communicator
    9300i both have WLAN+camera, and these are firmly marketed as what I
    now called PC companions.

    Tobias Weber wrote:
    > You're just part of the tiny minority who prefer a good keyboard over
    > shirt-pocket compatibility (mutually exclusive). Go for a touchscreen
    > (-only) PDA and buy an external keyboard.

    That's good advice. Following that, I would almost inevitably have to
    choose one of the many Windows Mobile devices. And Nokia made a
    bluetooth keyboard that, when closed, is the size of a normal cell
    phone. I don't know how it rates against a Series 5 keyboard though,
    and it's yet another dongle, when I was looking for fewer items to
    carry.

  5. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    In article <1150290644.143671.300320@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups. com>,
    "TorbenGB" wrote:

    > choose one of the many Windows Mobile devices. And Nokia made a
    > bluetooth keyboard that, when closed, is the size of a normal cell
    > phone. I don't know how it rates against a Series 5 keyboard though,
    > and it's yet another dongle, when I was looking for fewer items to
    > carry.

    A relative once tried a Palm m130 with their external keyboard. Returned
    it after a few days because none of the available databse applications
    could keep up with the huge file that grew on the Psion. Dunno about
    PalmOS 5. They keyboard was better than Serie 5, though, as long as you
    had a big flat surface.

    --
    Tobias Weber

  6. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Qtek 9000 and 9200 for hardware specification.

    No device have an as good and as easy user interface as the Psion 5mx /
    netBook (the old one).

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  7. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    torbengb@gmail.com wrote:
    > I've been using my Psion S5 since 1997, and in the meantime I upgraded
    > to an S5mx.

    Me too!

    > Must-have's for my next PDA would be
    > - doing calendar and contacts well,
    > - also does GSM 900/1800,
    > - has bluetooth so I can speak in a headset,
    > - has WLAN so I don't need a data cable,
    > - has a touch screen,
    > - has a Psion-quality keyboard. (good enough to type *pages* rather
    > than just *words*)
    > - battery life measured in days or weeks, not hours.
    > A camera, and even a color screen, is merely "nice to have".

    I've been tempted by a Nokia E61
    http://www.nokia.co.uk/nokia/0,,82900,00.html

    I've not acutally used one yet but I'm tempted by it as a replacement
    for the 5mx.

    It seems that any replacement you choose compromises on something

    James

  8. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    ,---------------
    | Power Management
    | Battery Capacity
    | BP-5L 1500 mAh
    |
    | Standby time Up to
    | GSM 13 - 17 days
    '---------------

    ROTFLBTC.

    FYI: I'm using a "slightly modified" 1150 mAh (BL-6C) in my 6230
    and standby is 7 to 10 days. Under "normal use" it lasts for about
    5 to 7 days. Now compare the displays ...

    I suppose the E61's 1500 mAh will not last for more than max. two
    days if used "as usual".

    > I've not acutally used one yet but I'm tempted by it as a
    > replacement for the 5mx.

    Would be nice to have a cover for the display. Anything available?

    > It seems that any replacement you choose compromises on something

    Yep. (

    Greets, Dirk
    --
    "You never know what is enough until you know what is too much."
    William Blake, nicely 200 years ago

  9. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    James Sargent wrote:
    > I've been tempted by a Nokia E61
    > I've not acutally used one yet but I'm tempted by it

    I've spent a while with an E61, just walked into a pro shop and asked
    for a trial run. I got to play with it in the shop as long as I liked.

    Pros:
    ++ *extremely* lightweight
    ++ very nice small size
    ++ low weight
    + fair keyboard, better than others I tested, but not S5 standard, and
    sub-sub-small. (I can actually use a modified 10-finger system on my
    Psion! Not on this one, though the keys would be almost good enough for
    it, were it not for the size.)
    + "a normal phone" on the outside!

    Cons:
    -- no touch screen. This is really nasty, as you're used to being able
    to navigate using point and ... press, as it were. Not on the E61.
    -- 4 screen-side buttons is a poor alternative. The correlation between
    screen elements and these 4 buttons is not always clear, but I guess
    practise makes perfect. It's still a long shot from S5 usability.
    -- cursor "joystick" is not good. Imagine a cell phone thumb joystick
    ironed flat. It has 4 sliding directions and is a button too, but it
    feels cheap and unreliable. It doesn't feel natural or even precise,
    and it's a nuisance to navigate with it instead of the index finger
    on-screen.
    -- file system: it runs Symbian, but it doesn't work like EPOC if you
    expected that. Only one file of each type open at a time, and it took
    me a long time to even *find* a file that I had saved. The file browser
    simply sucks!

    I'd be interested to hear what others think -- do you agree??

  10. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Hello,

    My answer could be : keep the Psion anyway and buy a good mobile phone.

    In fact, I realized I used the 5mx (MC218 to be precise) mainly for agenda and
    contact tasks. I'm also using it to read large text files (shortware schedules)
    while listening to the radio and using a few other things, no big deal.

    For this purpose I kept the Psion : large touch screen, keyboard to enter data,
    and it is silent from a radio point of view (try to put a laptop computer near a
    shortware radio ! BUZZZZZZZZZZ !)

    Since most laptop computers do not have serial port nowadays, I'm using a CF
    card to transfer program and data between the two machines. Works great.

    For the phone, SMS, contact and agenda, I bought a Nokia 6820, which has a
    keyboard, tri-band, IR, bluetooth, EDGE/GPRS, etc. Can even read & write emails
    with it, altough the tiny screen does not help. The keyboard is usable with the
    2 thumbs, ok for a few messages, not good to write a book ;-).

    I tried a Palm Tungsten C and was not convinced by the OS. And I could not read
    a text file just putting it on a SD card... :-( 2 thumbs keyboard as well.

    I'm waiting for a Linux PDA with keyboard... if I can avoid MS stuff...

    Charly

  11. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    On 2006-06-18 00:39 CEST, Charly wrote:

    > I'm waiting for a Linux PDA with keyboard... if I can avoid MS stuff...

    Did you try the Sharp Zaurus (Cxxxx, clamshell design)? The keyboard
    is not as good as the nice one from Psion but ok for daily use.

    http://www.trisoft.de or http://www.pulster.de

    --

  12. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Jochen Schmid wrote:

    > On 2006-06-18 00:39 CEST, Charly wrote:
    >
    >> I'm waiting for a Linux PDA with keyboard... if I can avoid MS stuff...

    > Did you try the Sharp Zaurus (Cxxxx, clamshell design)? The keyboard
    > is not as good as the nice one from Psion but ok for daily use.
    >
    > http://www.trisoft.de or http://www.pulster.de
    >
    > --

    Not as good as the QTEK.

    I haven't just tried the Zaurus device, I bought one of them (the SL-C760).

    QTEK 9000 and SL-C760 are not so different in design. The QTEK is just...
    full of feature. The SL-C760 is... well... less...

    Have a look in Zaurus and QTEK 9000 software index. Compare the big windows
    Mobile 2003 software index with the Zaurus one. Don't just stop on numbers.
    Have a look on the software features. Want a powerfull and easy agenda to
    synchronize? Want to travel with your GPS with a good vector map? Want to
    program and sell your software without thinking about Licence or having to
    pay royalties to other companies (Trolltech for example)? And have a Look
    to the specification! GSM/GPRS/UMTS Wifi Bluetooth USB Fast irDA SD-IO...

    If you like linux, try to see how far you can go with the Zaurus first. Then
    make your choice after playing with both.

    I can't live without Linux, but the SL-C760 is used as a paper weight at
    present.
    And it's my fault. I had to build my own ?super? distribution but I didn't.
    To bother on... well... a... you will see perhaps someday.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  13. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    On 2006-06-18 19:12 CEST, AM Christophe wrote:

    > Not as good as the QTEK.

    From your point of view.

    > QTEK 9000 and SL-C760 are not so different in design. The QTEK is just...
    > full of feature. The SL-C760 is... well... less...

    Well... different. As a Computer professional I not only need a device
    for scheduling. I also need it to log in to "my" servers (running
    different flavours of *IX).

    > If you like linux, try to see how far you can go with the Zaurus first. Then
    > make your choice after playing with both.

    I don't plan to buy a Windows Mobile device. I am quite happy with my
    Zaurus SL-C1000.

    By the way: Somone told me that there is no "normal" way to shut down
    an application on Windows Mobile 5 (like the small X in the upper
    right corner). If you run out of memory the only option is ending some
    programs from within the control panel. Is that really true?

    --

  14. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    what i sthe difference between the QTEK9000 and the I-MATE JasJar?

    The Sharp is difficult to get in europe, the people who sell it have
    just picts on the website and most of the items simply not avaiable
    any more.

  15. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    > I've spent a while with an E61, just walked into a pro shop and asked
    > for a trial run. I got to play with it in the shop as long as I liked.

    Oops! I made a mistake -- the review I wrote isn't of the E61 but for
    the 9300i.
    Sorry!

  16. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    > I tried the Nokia and Vodafone flagships, but they both lack a useful
    > keyboard. The Nokia lacked a touch screen, and the Windows Mobile OS of
    > the Vodafone was painfully slow, though otherwise impressive.

    BTW, I found that what I called the "Vodafone flagship" is actually a
    rebranded Qtec 9000. Sorry for any confusion caused. Here's a tech spec
    of the Qtec 9000:
    http://www.qtek.nu/europe/products/9...duct_info.aspx
    I wasn't able to find any useful info on a Qtec 9200 - anybody?

    Also, the Nokia wireless keyboard
    (http://www.europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,,83227,00.html) seems smart, but
    it doesn't have the here-and-now'ness of just opening a clamshell PDA
    and type right then. I'm not sure what a good use case would be for
    that keyboard -- though it might be a good quality keyboard, is it also
    practical?

  17. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    > The Sharp is difficult to get in europe, the people who sell it have
    > just picts on the website and most of the items simply not avaiable
    > any more.

    Please see my website: http://www.pulster.de/engl
    ALL Sharp Zaurus units and accessorie items listed are in stock and
    available to ship same day !

    Christoph

  18. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Jochen Schmid wrote:

    > On 2006-06-18 19:12 CEST, AM Christophe wrote:
    >
    >> Not as good as the QTEK.

    > From your point of view.

    You already know the answer. I know that you would love to have the QTEK
    hardware with Linux running on it. Don't tell me the opposite. Perhaps you
    want to say that the Zaurus as it is, without wifi, without bluetooth,
    without GSM/GPRS/UMTS, without good USB synch, without SD-io, without good
    vector map like TomTom, without powerfull RAD, without compatibility
    between the differents distribution projects (pdaXrom, OZ, QtopiaSharp,
    BSD...), ... is exactly what you want to be happy... well... in that case,
    we have different point of view.

    Diversity in distribution and software is a strength on Linux. Even more
    with interoperability like between KDE and Gnome. The success is not the
    same with the Zaurus PDA line. Sharp doesn't sell them any more in Europe
    nor in US.

    >> QTEK 9000 and SL-C760 are not so different in design. The QTEK is just...
    >> full of feature. The SL-C760 is... well... less...

    > Well... different. As a Computer professional I not only need a device
    > for scheduling. I also need it to log in to "my" servers (running
    > different flavours of *IX).

    Well, a PDA as a remote controler for a server. I guess ssh.
    Well, it's one way to use you device. We all use them for our own purpose,
    even if there is more people using the calendar them people logging into
    their server each morning to do " server stuff ". Me for example, I use my
    Zaurus SL-C760 as a paper weight, and it works very well doing this task.

    >> If you like linux, try to see how far you can go with the Zaurus first.
    >> Then make your choice after playing with both.

    > I don't plan to buy a Windows Mobile device. I am quite happy with my
    > Zaurus SL-C1000.

    So don't. Really, I hope that one day my QTEK 9000 will run "MY"
    distribution. I already know that it runs linux but would like mine, just
    for fun.

    > By the way: Somone told me that there is no "normal" way to shut down
    > an application on Windows Mobile 5 (like the small X in the upper
    > right corner). If you run out of memory the only option is ending some
    > programs from within the control panel. Is that really true?

    Depend on the application. Some will quit. Mainly the bigger one. Others
    will stay alive, just closing the main window to use less memory. It's like
    on you Zaurus with the "Quick start" option enabled by default on most
    applications.

    There is no need to shutdown an application on PDA when you know that you
    will start it again each 5 mn. Each time you load a program from flash, you
    consume your battery stupidly.

    If you want to attack windows mobile, please speak about other issues:
    - Bugs... bugs ?? bugs !!!
    - ... Pocket PC 2002 is faster than Windows mobile 2003 which is really
    faster than 2005... 2006 is coming ?
    - Windows mobile is sold to people with the same idea as restaurants which
    sell the same reheat food each day. The cherry on the cake doesn't make it
    fresh, nor deodorant on a someone who stink.
    - No customisation, the user interface is crappy.
    - It's closed source and when no one will like to support those device you
    will have to... well... ask on a newgroup the same question as this one : "
    What is a good Psion replacement? "

    Regards
    And have fun with "your" servers
    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  19. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    AM Christophe wrote:

    > Jochen Schmid wrote:
    >
    >> On 2006-06-18 19:12 CEST, AM Christophe wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not as good as the QTEK.

    >> From your point of view.

    > You already know the answer. I know that you would love to have the QTEK
    > hardware with Linux running on it. Don't tell me the opposite. Perhaps you
    > want to say that the Zaurus as it is, without wifi, without bluetooth,
    > without GSM/GPRS/UMTS, without good USB synch, without SD-io, without good
    > vector map like TomTom, without powerfull RAD, without compatibility
    > between the differents distribution projects (pdaXrom, OZ, QtopiaSharp,
    > BSD...), ... is exactly what you want to be happy... well... in that case,
    > we have different point of view.

    Ooops, I forgot the two inbuild cameras.
    Skype works on the QTEK (the voice is good)... but I'm not completely happy
    because Skype doesn't use the camera. It could. WCDMA works well on my 9000
    for example.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  20. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    AM Christophe wrote:

    > AM Christophe wrote:
    >
    >> Jochen Schmid wrote:

    >>> From your point of view.

    >> You already know the answer. I know that you would love to have the QTEK
    >> hardware with Linux running on it. Don't tell me the opposite. Perhaps
    >> you want to say that the Zaurus as it is, without wifi, without
    >> bluetooth, without GSM/GPRS/UMTS, without good USB synch, without SD-io,
    >> without good vector map like TomTom, without powerfull RAD, without
    >> compatibility between the differents distribution projects (pdaXrom, OZ,
    >> QtopiaSharp, BSD...), ... is exactly what you want to be happy... well...
    >> in that case, we have different point of view.

    > Ooops, I forgot the two inbuild cameras.
    > Skype works on the QTEK (the voice is good)... but I'm not completely
    > happy because Skype doesn't use the camera. It could. WCDMA works well on
    > my 9000 for example.

    Bad day. I forgot the keyboard. I'm french so without accent... the keyboard
    is useless.

    Just for fun : do you like to use you Zaurus keyboard without light ? In a
    dark room ? Won't like to have a keyboard with keys with red light in the
    dark han ? Or perhaps use, as I do, the camera light to show me where to
    put my car key after midnight...

    Ok ok. I stop, I stop.
    I already know your answer. I'm not logging to a remote server using ssh. Ok
    ok.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)