What is a good Psion replacement? - Scion

This is a discussion on What is a good Psion replacement? - Scion ; Andrew Flegg: > The full-screen keyboard[1] in the latest update is very cool to use. I do not understand how it can work. Suppose you have a dialog box in which you have to edit a few words. What shall ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Results 41 to 46 of 46

  1. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Andrew Flegg:

    > The full-screen keyboard[1] in the latest update is very cool to use.

    I do not understand how it can work.

    Suppose you have a dialog box in which you have to edit a few words.
    What shall you do? Can you see the text you are editing?

    --
    Sergei

  2. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Srtgray said :

    >> Lack of PIM software is not a problem because I also have a basic
    >> Nokia phone (which is mostly a modem for the 770 :-) that syncs with
    >> Outlook and such - just as well as the Psion used to, and better than
    >> the Zaurus ever did, and that's enough for me.

    > Hmm, that is the problem for me - I don't use my PC for PIMing (new
    > verb?), so any device that doesn't do that (and do it *easily* on the
    > device) is no good. I'm looking for something with the PIM ability of
    > the 5mx, Personal Banking and GPS navigation. And I don't think I've
    > found it yet.

    I don't think personal banking on the 770 is on anyone's radar (yet).

    GPS navigation is definitely here and it's a beauty. You do need a
    separate bluetooth GPS receiver but that's tiny and unobtrusive.

    Contacts and email are there. Calendaring (GPE-PIM) is beta, at best.

    However, there is a prevailing school of thought amongst 770 users than I
    tend to agree with : it contends that the tablet is not a PDA in the
    traditional sense, and not a mini-PC either, where all data should be
    stored and programs executed. It is more of an (Internet) terminal, only
    fully at home in an always-connected paradigm, by Wifi when available, by
    GPRS/EDGE/3G through a bluetooth phone if not.

    If you follow that road, the software actually available on the tablet
    itself and its capacities cease to be a limitation : just use Google
    Calendar and/or your favourite web apps... Myself I never use the RSS
    news reader on the Nokia, I prefer Bloglines in the browser.

    --
    YAFAP : http://www.multimania.com/fredp/

  3. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    "Erik Sandblom" said :

    > Perhaps you missed Andrew's post where he mentioned GPE PIM
    > http://oss.kernelconcepts.de/maemo/app-install.shtml
    > If you get a keyboard, it could work independently of any other devices.

    GPE is available but rather pre-beta ATM. Another serious contender is the
    project at OpenedHand, but that's still vapourware. If I had to replace a
    Psion-class agenda with a 770 right now, it would have to be a Web calendar
    online.

    --
    YAFAP : http://www.multimania.com/fredp/

  4. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    In article <1152737927.79523.0@iris.uk.clara.net>,
    Srtgray wrote:

    > Hmm, that is the problem for me - I don't use my PC for PIMing (new
    > verb?), so any device that doesn't do that (and do it *easily* on the
    > device) is no good. I'm looking for something with the PIM ability of
    > the 5mx, Personal Banking and GPS navigation. And I don't think I've
    > found it yet.

    Same situation for me. My Mac is nice as a computer, but not nearly as
    easy to use as a PIM as Agenda (despite some strengths at sending email
    as a result of alarms). So a lot of my appointments stay on the Psion.

    Likewise, I haven't found any substitute for ABP on the Psion. There is
    no Quicken for Macintosh for many countries, so any approach along those
    lines is a kluge. Besides, I like to keep my accounts up to date while
    travelling, not after I take receipts home.

    GPS is another very weak point on a Macintosh, whereas a Psion handles
    it rather well (better in UK and Europe, of course). I tried the SMS
    position feature on a GSM phone from one supplier, and it is nearly a
    kilometre out.

    So far phones just seem a totally wrong approach. Many features assume a
    phone link, which is fine at home and around town. However I rapidly get
    outside phone range when travelling, especially if using a GSM phone
    which have lousy range. If I move to CDMA, which works over a much wider
    range, I have very few choices of models. Apart from simply not working,
    monthly phone costs seem overly expensive when you want to use it for
    data.

    I am just glad to still have some working Psions.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  5. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    On 2006-07-13, Sergei wrote:
    > Andrew Flegg:
    >
    >> The full-screen keyboard[1] in the latest update is very cool to use.

    > I do not understand how it can work.
    >
    > Suppose you have a dialog box in which you have to edit a few words.
    > What shall you do? Can you see the text you are editing?

    You press your thumb on the field and the full screen keyboard opens.
    There's an area at the top which shows what's currently there and what
    you're typing - it doesn't leave you *completely* blind ;-)

    HTH,

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@bleb.org | http://www.bleb.org/

  6. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    On 2006-07-12, Erik Sandblom wrote:

    > The Revo screen is 117 x 42mm without the silkscreen buttons. The active
    > area of the screen, which shows information, is 115mm x 38mm. How big is
    > the Nokia 770 screen?

    Approximately, 95 x 57mm according to my back-of-a-piece-of-paper
    measurements (literally).

    So although quite a bit taller, it takes up most of the device - unlike
    a Revo's screen where you've got the keyboard flipped out.

    Cheers,

    Andrew