What is a good Psion replacement? - Scion

This is a discussion on What is a good Psion replacement? - Scion ; On 2006-06-21 20:48 CEST, AM Christophe wrote: > Just for fun : do you like to use you Zaurus keyboard without light ? In a > dark room ? You might find it funny but the screen backlight is bright ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 46

  1. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    On 2006-06-21 20:48 CEST, AM Christophe wrote:

    > Just for fun : do you like to use you Zaurus keyboard without light ? In a
    > dark room ?

    You might find it funny but the screen backlight is bright enough to
    find the keys on the keyboard.

    --

  2. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    On 2006-06-21 20:32 CEST, AM Christophe wrote:

    > I know that you would love to have the QTEK hardware with Linux
    > running on it.

    Why not. I like to have good hardware. But when I need to take windows
    as add-on, it becomes less interesting.

    > Perhaps you want to say that the Zaurus as it is, without wifi,
    > without bluetooth, without GSM/GPRS/UMTS, without good USB synch,
    > without SD-io, without good vector map like TomTom, without
    > powerfull RAD, without compatibility between the differents
    > distribution projects (pdaXrom, OZ, QtopiaSharp, BSD...), ... is
    > exactly what you want to be happy... well... in that case, we have
    > different point of view.

    Ok, GSM/GPRS/UMTS: I don't need it in an PDA.
    I have already good sync -- not USB, Ethernet.
    I don't know what to do with SD IO.
    A navigation program is really something I wish to have with my Zaurus.
    What the hell is RAD?
    Oh I must have missed something. Is Windows Mobile compatible with
    pdaXROM, OZ, QtopiaSharp and BSD? Then it might be what I am looking
    for.

    > Well, a PDA as a remote controler for a server. I guess ssh.

    Yes exactly that.

    > Well, it's one way to use you device. We all use them for our own purpose,
    > even if there is more people using the calendar them people logging into
    > their server each morning to do " server stuff ".

    Oh, I also use it as calendar. You know Ko/Pi?

    > Me for example, I use my Zaurus SL-C760 as a paper weight, and it
    > works very well doing this task.

    It is you choice. I use a small brick as paper wight. By the way: Much
    cheaper.

    > So don't. Really, I hope that one day my QTEK 9000 will run "MY"
    > distribution. I already know that it runs linux but would like mine, just
    > for fun.

    Would you please drop a message here when it happens to be ready? The
    hardware of the QTEC 9000 looks promising. What can we expect as
    battery life ("normal" daily use)?

    > Depend on the application. Some will quit. Mainly the bigger one. Others
    > will stay alive, just closing the main window to use less memory. It's like
    > on you Zaurus with the "Quick start" option enabled by default on most
    > applications.

    It is configurable on a per application base?

    > There is no need to shutdown an application on PDA when you know that you
    > will start it again each 5 mn. Each time you load a program from flash, you
    > consume your battery stupidly.

    I just want to have the chance to choose.

    > If you want to attack windows mobile, please speak about other issues:
    > - Bugs... bugs ?? bugs !!!

    I don't want to attack Windows. That job is done perfectly ba product
    quality. ;-)

    > - Windows mobile is sold to people with the same idea as restaurants which
    > sell the same reheat food each day. The cherry on the cake doesn't make it
    > fresh, nor deodorant on a someone who stink.

    But I wish to have the MS marketing staff in the company I work for.
    They are doing their job really GOOD.

    > And have fun with "your" servers

    Thank you. They are not operated to deliver "fun" to me. :-(
    But the Zaurus makes it possible to do some maintainance work while
    sitting in a bar (with WiFi and a beer).

    --

  3. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Ae far as the ready made software is concerned, I think it will be
    similar as anything in Linux , browsing web, I found almost anything
    for the Taurus famaily of devices .

    The lack of RF devices in the pda is not big problem, since we all
    have mobile phones of some kind, and if the pda can talk to the net
    via my phone, why not. Having to have separate account for a simcard
    for the pda is also not cheap and a real replacement for the handy
    phone is a pda not. One can not carry such thing in the pocket all the
    time, wheras a mobile phone of todays dimensions can be carried all
    the time.

    So the taurus would be nice, but pitty it is sold only as it comes
    from japan. No official product marketing for europe. QTEK comes for
    example lokalized (with german kind of keyboard for example).
    Certainly japanese manuals coming with the linux machine are not what
    we would like to have and so it is also probably difficult to find
    after sale support.
    It is strange that the sharp does not make any effords to market the
    product in europe more reasonably.

  4. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Otto Sykora wrote:
    > ... and a real replacement for the handy
    > phone is a pda not. One can not carry such thing in the pocket all the
    > time, wheras a mobile phone of todays dimensions can be carried all
    > the time.

    Well, that was exactly what this thread was all about. In fact, the
    Nokia 9300i comes very, very close to being just that. Look at it; it's
    so small and lightweight, you could easily mistake it for just a normal
    mobile phone (an older one though, because modern ones are *really*
    small). And I do want to have a PDA that acts as a mobile phone because
    I only want to have ONE device; not a pda AND a phone.

  5. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    somhow true, but clearly you are the mainstream customer for nikia,
    therefore they did produce such device.
    Synch outlook and keep addresses in it etc.
    I was writing long textts with psion, this would not be possible on
    9300. Many other things will not work either, but this is not the big
    problem.

    I am personally one of theose customers inminority, preffering to have
    pda with nice keboard, lot of software and separate phone to carry
    around.
    Si as I am the exotic one, I can not be served.

  6. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Otto Sykora wrote:
    > somhow true, but clearly you are the mainstream customer for nikia,
    > therefore they did produce such device.
    > Synch outlook and keep addresses in it etc.
    > I was writing long textts with psion, this would not be possible on
    > 9300. Many other things will not work either, but this is not the big
    > problem.
    >
    > I am personally one of theose customers inminority, preffering to have
    > pda with nice keboard, lot of software and separate phone to carry
    > around.
    > Si as I am the exotic one, I can not be served.

    I am in the same situation as you, hence I still keep my 5mx around and
    will have to look out for another good quality unit whilst they still
    exist

    Stuart

  7. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Otto Sykora wrote:

    > Ae far as the ready made software is concerned, I think it will be
    > similar as anything in Linux , browsing web, I found almost anything
    > for the Taurus famaily of devices .
    >
    > The lack of RF devices in the pda is not big problem, since we all
    > have mobile phones of some kind, and if the pda can talk to the net
    > via my phone, why not. Having to have separate account for a simcard
    > for the pda is also not cheap and a real replacement for the handy
    > phone is a pda not. One can not carry such thing in the pocket all the
    > time, wheras a mobile phone of todays dimensions can be carried all
    > the time.
    >
    > So the taurus would be nice, but pitty it is sold only as it comes
    > from japan. No official product marketing for europe. QTEK comes for
    > example lokalized (with german kind of keyboard for example).
    > Certainly japanese manuals coming with the linux machine are not what
    > we would like to have and so it is also probably difficult to find
    > after sale support.
    > It is strange that the sharp does not make any effords to market the
    > product in europe more reasonably.

    Have a look here :

    http://www.oesf.org/forums/index.php...opic=17695&hl=

    As I say on this page, the wzero03 (a new Sharp device sold since a few
    months) is made by HTC. The design is a bit "Sharp" but... it's HTC.
    Couldn't they use HTC again and build a Linux universal device? Nothing
    prevent them from that. So, there is hope to see someday a localised
    Zaurus, with good design, powerful hardware and.. Linux running on it.

    Perhaps, someday.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  8. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Jochen Schmid wrote:

    > On 2006-06-21 20:48 CEST, AM Christophe wrote:
    >
    >> Just for fun : do you like to use you Zaurus keyboard without light ? In
    >> a dark room ?

    > You might find it funny but the screen backlight is bright enough to
    > find the keys on the keyboard.

    You are amazing lol.
    I like the way you try to defend your Zaurus.
    Good.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  9. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    On 2006-06-24 17:32 CEST, AM Christophe wrote:

    > You are amazing lol.
    > I like the way you try to defend your Zaurus.
    > Good.

    And hey, I don't even get a discount from one of the German Zaurus
    dealers... ;-)

    --

  10. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    The one small problem with the sharp is as far as I see it, the fact
    that they change the products so fast. I think, to establish a certain
    comunity of users and make it for programmers worth to produce some
    software for such device , the device need to be in almost the same
    configuration existing for some time and widely spread.
    OK Linux is portable enough, but for one sharp you will need to
    support this hardware parts, for the next one something else , so
    until enough apps are modified for that unit, the units is off market
    again.

  11. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    begin oe_protect.scr
    torbengb@gmail.com espoused:
    > Hi all,
    > I've been using my Psion S5 since 1997, and in the meantime I upgraded
    > to an S5mx. I love it more than any other techie thing I own, but I
    > have slowly come to realize that it can't go on being my favorite
    > thing. All this year, I have been looking in vain for a modern
    > replacement that works as well.
    >
    > In my daily life, I have a work laptop that I rarely lug around, a work
    > cell phone and bluetooth headset, a personal cell phone, a digital
    > camera, and my Psion. It's just too much stuff, and much of it overlaps
    > in features.
    >
    > Must-have's for my next PDA would be
    > - doing calendar and contacts well,
    > - also does GSM 900/1800,
    > - has bluetooth so I can speak in a headset,
    > - has WLAN so I don't need a data cable,
    > - has a touch screen,
    > - has a Psion-quality keyboard. (good enough to type *pages* rather
    > than just *words*)
    > - battery life measured in days or weeks, not hours.
    > A camera, and even a color screen, is merely "nice to have".
    >
    > I tried the Nokia and Vodafone flagships, but they both lack a useful
    > keyboard. The Nokia lacked a touch screen, and the Windows Mobile OS of
    > the Vodafone was painfully slow, though otherwise impressive.
    >
    > I can't seem to find anything that fits my needs. Can it really be that
    > nobody has yet produced a "Psion Series 2006"? Am I just too picky?

    I don't know that you can have all of that combination at once, but
    here's how I do it (I'm an ex 5mx user...);

    I have a Nokia N770 tablet, which has a fantasic colour touch-screen -
    it's huge, good battery life, bluetooth and wifi. It can connect to a
    standard GSM phone via bluetooth for GPRS connectivity when out of range
    of wifi hotspots. There's a bluetooth keyboard add-on package to
    support a proper keyboard which you can (apparently) type forever on.

    My phone is (presently) a Nokia 6630, which is symbian, and does
    contacts and calendar and syncs with outlook. It also has a browser, but
    the screen isn't all that big. There's a camera on it.

    The N770 has a proper browser (full-screen opera), flash player, real
    player, mp3 & divx player. It's also a full-blown linux computer
    running on an arm core (as per 5mx), but as it's linux, there's a large
    and increasing amount of good quality free software for it, including
    word processors, spreadsheets, pdf viewers, and so on.

    On the down side, it could use more memory!

    It's very inexpensive, too.

    anyway, hope that gives you something to consider.

    Kiss a non-smoker; taste the difference.

  12. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    On 2006-06-28, Mark Kent wrote:

    [snip]

    > I have a Nokia N770 tablet, which has a fantasic colour touch-screen -
    > it's huge, good battery life, bluetooth and wifi. It can connect to a
    > standard GSM phone via bluetooth for GPRS connectivity when out of range
    > of wifi hotspots. There's a bluetooth keyboard add-on package to
    > support a proper keyboard which you can (apparently) type forever on.

    Ditto, I've replaced a 5mx and a 7Book with my Nokia 770 - it's a
    fantastic bit of kit.

    The only downside is that the Calendar in the GPE PIM suite isn't as
    good as EPOC's Agenda, but it's getting better all the time; as is the
    770's OS (something which sadly cannot be said of EPOC R5).

    In fact, Nokia's approach to OS upgrades for end users couldn't be
    further away than that of Psion's, despite a few niggles in the open
    development process as a whole.

    Cheers,

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@bleb.org | http://www.bleb.org/

  13. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    i artikel slrnea7lvf.tmg.andrew@vir.bleb.org, skrev Andrew Flegg p
    andrew@bleb.org den 06-06-29 15.38:

    > On 2006-06-28, Mark Kent wrote:
    >>

    > [snip]
    >>
    >> I have a Nokia N770 tablet, which has a fantasic colour touch-screen -
    >> it's huge, good battery life, bluetooth and wifi. It can connect to a
    >> standard GSM phone via bluetooth for GPRS connectivity when out of range
    >> of wifi hotspots. There's a bluetooth keyboard add-on package to
    >> support a proper keyboard which you can (apparently) type forever on.

    > Ditto, I've replaced a 5mx and a 7Book with my Nokia 770 - it's a
    > fantastic bit of kit.
    >
    > The only downside is that the Calendar in the GPE PIM suite isn't as
    > good as EPOC's Agenda, but it's getting better all the time; as is the
    > 770's OS (something which sadly cannot be said of EPOC R5).
    >
    > In fact, Nokia's approach to OS upgrades for end users couldn't be
    > further away than that of Psion's, despite a few niggles in the open
    > development process as a whole.

    That looks really cool. The site to look at appears to be
    http://www.internettablettalk.com/

    I read it's slow. What do you think?

    Erik Sandblom

  14. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    On 2006-07-11, Erik Sandblom wrote:

    [snip: Nokia 770]

    > That looks really cool. The site to look at appears to be
    > http://www.internettablettalk.com/

    Indeed. A great forum. Some other useful links:

    http://planet.maemo.org/
    http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalog2006

    (although the new 2006 OS is apt-based so there're also repositories
    allowing easy network installation)

    > I read it's slow. What do you think?

    Sometimes it feels slower than, say, a 5mx, but that's because it's
    doing so much more. It's certainly slower than the browsing experience
    on a desktop PC with 100Mb network connection; but again it's doing a
    very similar job with fewer resources. This is mainly in starting apps,
    at the moment.

    Each OS update (of which there have been 5 now, the latest being the
    "2006 OS") has brought speed, stability and functionality improvements.

    The full-screen keyboard[1] in the latest update is very cool to use.

    Cheers,

    Andrew

    [1] http://www.internettablettalk.com/content/view/177/2/

    --
    Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@bleb.org | http://www.bleb.org/

  15. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Den 2006-07-12 10:04:29 skrev Andrew Flegg :

    > On 2006-07-11, Erik Sandblom wrote:
    >>

    > [snip: Nokia 770]
    >>
    >> That looks really cool. The site to look at appears to be
    >> http://www.internettablettalk.com/

    > Indeed. A great forum. Some other useful links:
    >
    > http://planet.maemo.org/
    > http://maemo.org/maemowiki/ApplicationCatalog2006
    >
    > (although the new 2006 OS is apt-based so there're also repositories
    > allowing easy network installation)
    >
    >> I read it's slow. What do you think?

    > Sometimes it feels slower than, say, a 5mx, but that's because it's
    > doing so much more. It's certainly slower than the browsing experience
    > on a desktop PC with 100Mb network connection; but again it's doing a
    > very similar job with fewer resources. This is mainly in starting apps,
    > at the moment.
    >
    > Each OS update (of which there have been 5 now, the latest being the
    > "2006 OS") has brought speed, stability and functionality improvements.
    >
    > The full-screen keyboard in the latest update is very cool to use.
    > http://www.internettablettalk.com/content/view/177/2/

    Looks tempting. Don't you find the device small though? 138mm x 68mm.
    Isn't that smaller than a Revo? I'm surpised they made a web browsing
    tablet the size of a mobile phone. I thought a web browsing tablet would
    be more like 250x125 mm, about half the size of an A4/letter size. Seems
    it would work well as an organiser, but they pitch it as a web browsing
    tablet.

    Erik Sandblom
    --
    Oil is for sissies

  16. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    On 2006-07-12, Erik Sandblom wrote:

    [Nokia 770]

    > Looks tempting. Don't you find the device small though? 138mm x 68mm.
    > Isn't that smaller than a Revo? I'm surpised they made a web browsing
    > tablet the size of a mobile phone. I thought a web browsing tablet would
    > be more like 250x125 mm, about half the size of an A4/letter size. Seems
    > it would work well as an organiser, but they pitch it as a web browsing
    > tablet.

    It seems bigger than a Revo when it's in your hands, mainly because it's
    all screen. Sometimes it'd be nice to have it bigger but with a lower
    pixel density, but that's why there's both an on-device and physical
    (i.e. move it closer) zoom.

    Cheers,

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@bleb.org | http://www.bleb.org/

  17. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Den 2006-07-12 16:37:54 skrev Andrew Flegg :

    > On 2006-07-12, Erik Sandblom wrote:
    >>

    > [Nokia 770]
    >>
    >> Looks tempting. Don't you find the device small though? 138mm x 68mm.
    >> Isn't that smaller than a Revo? I'm surpised they made a web browsing
    >> tablet the size of a mobile phone. I thought a web browsing tablet would
    >> be more like 250x125 mm, about half the size of an A4/letter size. Seems
    >> it would work well as an organiser, but they pitch it as a web browsing
    >> tablet.

    > It seems bigger than a Revo when it's in your hands, mainly because it's
    > all screen. Sometimes it'd be nice to have it bigger but with a lower
    > pixel density, but that's why there's both an on-device and physical
    > (i.e. move it closer) zoom.

    The Revo screen is 117 x 42mm without the silkscreen buttons. The active
    area of the screen, which shows information, is 115mm x 38mm. How big is
    the Nokia 770 screen?

    Thanks,
    Erik Sandblom

    --
    Oil is for sissies

  18. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Andrew Flegg said :

    > On 2006-06-28, Mark Kent wrote:
    >> I have a Nokia N770 tablet, which has a fantasic colour touch-screen -
    >> it's huge, good battery life, bluetooth and wifi. It can connect to a
    >> standard GSM phone via bluetooth for GPRS connectivity when out of

    range
    >> of wifi hotspots. There's a bluetooth keyboard add-on package to
    >> support a proper keyboard which you can (apparently) type forever on.

    > Ditto, I've replaced a 5mx and a 7Book with my Nokia 770 - it's a
    > fantastic bit of kit.

    (Hi, Andrew -fpp :-)

    So that's three of us here.
    I also was a Psion 5mx fanatic, wore down three of'em.

    After that I switched to a Sharp Zaurus clamshell because of the keyboard
    and Linux : neat machine at the time, first VGA screen, but I was
    *really* disappointed by the (lack of) support of its hacker community by
    Sharp, their totally japanese-centric approach (no Wifi no BT etc.) and
    the total stagnation of the platform that ensued for the past 2/3 years.

    Strangely, although it is as far as can be of what I initially thought
    could be my Psion replacement, I was instantly sold on the 770 concept
    and bought one as soon as it became available, and since then I don't
    believe I've ever used any of my previous mobile devices so much and so
    often.

    Lack of PIM software is not a problem because I also have a basic Nokia
    phone (which is mostly a modem for the 770 :-) that syncs with Outlook
    and such - just as well as the Psion used to, and better than the Zaurus
    ever did, and that's enough for me.

    Mark mentioned BT keyboards - another nice toy is a BT GPS, with a VERY
    nice navigation app (think TomTom, but free :-)

    And of course you can code cute GUI apps right there on the tablet, using
    good old Python (and PyGTK, and pyGame, and Eagle...). For the diehards
    that used to squint at OPL on their Psion screens, that ought to be the
    "coup de grce" :-)

  19. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Fred Pacquier wrote:
    > Andrew Flegg said :
    >

    >>On 2006-06-28, Mark Kent wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have a Nokia N770 tablet, which has a fantasic colour touch-screen -
    >>>it's huge, good battery life, bluetooth and wifi. It can connect to a
    >>>standard GSM phone via bluetooth for GPRS connectivity when out of

    > range
    >
    >>>of wifi hotspots. There's a bluetooth keyboard add-on package to
    >>>support a proper keyboard which you can (apparently) type forever on.

    >>Ditto, I've replaced a 5mx and a 7Book with my Nokia 770 - it's a
    >>fantastic bit of kit.

    > (Hi, Andrew -fpp :-)
    >
    > So that's three of us here.
    > I also was a Psion 5mx fanatic, wore down three of'em.
    >
    > After that I switched to a Sharp Zaurus clamshell because of the keyboard
    > and Linux : neat machine at the time, first VGA screen, but I was
    > *really* disappointed by the (lack of) support of its hacker community by
    > Sharp, their totally japanese-centric approach (no Wifi no BT etc.) and
    > the total stagnation of the platform that ensued for the past 2/3 years.
    >
    > Strangely, although it is as far as can be of what I initially thought
    > could be my Psion replacement, I was instantly sold on the 770 concept
    > and bought one as soon as it became available, and since then I don't
    > believe I've ever used any of my previous mobile devices so much and so
    > often.
    >
    > Lack of PIM software is not a problem because I also have a basic Nokia
    > phone (which is mostly a modem for the 770 :-) that syncs with Outlook
    > and such - just as well as the Psion used to, and better than the Zaurus
    > ever did, and that's enough for me.

    Hmm, that is the problem for me - I don't use my PC for PIMing (new
    verb?), so any device that doesn't do that (and do it *easily* on the
    device) is no good. I'm looking for something with the PIM ability of
    the 5mx, Personal Banking and GPS navigation. And I don't think I've
    found it yet.

    Stuart

  20. Re: What is a good Psion replacement?

    Den 2006-07-12 22:58:46 skrev Srtgray :

    > Hmm, that is the problem for me - I don't use my PC for PIMing (new
    > verb?), so any device that doesn't do that (and do it *easily* on the
    > device) is no good. I'm looking for something with the PIM ability of
    > the 5mx, Personal Banking and GPS navigation. And I don't think I've
    > found it yet.

    Perhaps you missed Andrew's post where he mentioned GPE PIM
    http://oss.kernelconcepts.de/maemo/app-install.shtml

    If you get a keyboard, it could work independently of any other devices.

    Erik Sandblom

    --
    Oil is for sissies