Re: Using ER5 data files without a PDA? - Scion

This is a discussion on Re: Using ER5 data files without a PDA? - Scion ; Hi Paul, Have you tried the Java-Psion-Link (free on sourceforge)? There might be a convertor in that. And maybe nConvert has a WINS version. Take care, Phil. "Everything in excess! To enjoy the flavour of life, take big bites. Moderation ...

  1. Re: Using ER5 data files without a PDA?

    Hi Paul,

    Have you tried the Java-Psion-Link (free on sourceforge)?

    There might be a convertor in that.

    And maybe nConvert has a WINS version.

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "Everything in excess!
    To enjoy the flavour of life, take big bites.
    Moderation is for monks."

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk

  2. Re: Using ER5 data files without a PDA?

    "Phil Aypee" wrote in message
    newshil.see.website-368E41.07425903062006@slb-newsm1.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > Have you tried the Java-Psion-Link (free on sourceforge)?
    >
    > There might be a convertor in that.
    >
    > And maybe nConvert has a WINS version.
    >
    > Take care,
    > Phil.
    >
    > "Everything in excess!
    > To enjoy the flavour of life, take big bites.
    > Moderation is for monks."
    >
    > http://www.philaypee.co.uk

    Thanks Phil.

    What I want to do is write a PC program that does what the "Data" program on
    the Psion does, and so uses ER5 data files as-is (a copy of the last back-up
    from the dead or alive PDA), and so still show embedded pictures (Greek
    characters, sketches, scans, screenshots, etc.)
    Also be able to paste text into the data files from the windows clipboard --
    something that the ER5 'emulator' doesn't allow?
    (so it will be as easy to add text as if you were using the Psion linked to
    a PC with Copy Anywhere.)

    I expect that converting data files to RTF will lose any embeded pictures?

    Psion seem to of left little more that a "read only" future for the ER5 data
    files with embedded pictures that people have created on their ER5 machines.

    "During the evolution from Psion to Symbian the operating system switched
    from ASCII character encoding to Unicode. That's the reason why the ER5
    databases don't work on Symbian OS."

    ASCII is good enough for me!

    I've spent about 10 hours googling for ER5 Data stuff, which I've yet to
    compile into a single file of notes.
    These were the best links I found:
    http://www.thomas-milius.homepage.t-...tion/EPCDB.htm
    http://software.frodo.looijaard.name/psiconv/

    Thanks,
    Paul

  3. Re: Using ER5 data files without a PDA?

    Paul Taylor wrote:
    > "Phil Aypee" wrote in message
    > newshil.see.website-368E41.07425903062006@slb-newsm1.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > > Hi Paul,
    > >
    > > Have you tried the Java-Psion-Link (free on sourceforge)?
    > >
    > > There might be a convertor in that.
    > >
    > > And maybe nConvert has a WINS version.
    > >
    > > Take care,
    > > Phil.
    > >
    > > "Everything in excess!
    > > To enjoy the flavour of life, take big bites.
    > > Moderation is for monks."
    > >
    > > http://www.philaypee.co.uk

    > Thanks Phil.
    >
    > What I want to do is write a PC program that does what the "Data" program on
    > the Psion does, and so uses ER5 data files as-is (a copy of the last back-up
    > from the dead or alive PDA), and so still show embedded pictures (Greek
    > characters, sketches, scans, screenshots, etc.)
    > Also be able to paste text into the data files from the windows clipboard --
    > something that the ER5 'emulator' doesn't allow?
    > (so it will be as easy to add text as if you were using the Psion linked to
    > a PC with Copy Anywhere.)
    >
    > I expect that converting data files to RTF will lose any embeded pictures?
    >
    > Psion seem to of left little more that a "read only" future for the ER5 data
    > files with embedded pictures that people have created on their ER5 machines.
    >
    > "During the evolution from Psion to Symbian the operating system switched
    > from ASCII character encoding to Unicode. That's the reason why the ER5
    > databases don't work on Symbian OS."
    >
    > ASCII is good enough for me!
    >
    > I've spent about 10 hours googling for ER5 Data stuff, which I've yet to
    > compile into a single file of notes.
    > These were the best links I found:
    > http://www.thomas-milius.homepage.t-...tion/EPCDB.htm
    > http://software.frodo.looijaard.name/psiconv/
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Paul

    Hi Paul

    If I understand your situation correctly, you have a lot of ER5 Data
    files stored on your PC, which you would like to be able to monge on
    your PC, for the lack of a working Psion ER5 machine.

    I *think* the following approach might help: PsiWin 2.3 (free download
    from the Psion Teklogix web site) will convert ER5 Data files to
    (amongst other things) Microsoft Access, which can cope with embedded
    images (not sure about the Greek characters...). It would be worth it
    to try using PsiWin to convert the Data files on your PC to Access
    (always assuming that you have access to ( ) a copy of Access to deal
    with the files when you've converted them...

    I know that this is rather less than you would like to be able to do,
    but it's better than nowt.

    HTH

    Ian Park

  4. Re: Using ER5 data files without a PDA?

    "RainKap" wrote in message
    news:1149350384.143297.80330@h76g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Paul Taylor wrote:
    >> "Phil Aypee" wrote in message
    >> newshil.see.website-368E41.07425903062006@slb-newsm1.svr.pol.co.uk...
    >> > Hi Paul,
    >> >
    >> > Have you tried the Java-Psion-Link (free on sourceforge)?
    >> >
    >> > There might be a convertor in that.
    >> >
    >> > And maybe nConvert has a WINS version.
    >> >
    >> > Take care,
    >> > Phil.
    >> >
    >> > "Everything in excess!
    >> > To enjoy the flavour of life, take big bites.
    >> > Moderation is for monks."
    >> >
    >> > http://www.philaypee.co.uk

    >> Thanks Phil.
    >>
    >> What I want to do is write a PC program that does what the "Data" program
    >> on
    >> the Psion does, and so uses ER5 data files as-is (a copy of the last
    >> back-up
    >> from the dead or alive PDA), and so still show embedded pictures (Greek
    >> characters, sketches, scans, screenshots, etc.)
    >> Also be able to paste text into the data files from the windows
    >> clipboard --
    >> something that the ER5 'emulator' doesn't allow?
    >> (so it will be as easy to add text as if you were using the Psion linked
    >> a PC with Copy Anywhere.)
    >>
    >> I expect that converting data files to RTF will lose any embeded
    >> pictures?
    >>
    >> Psion seem to of left little more that a "read only" future for the ER5
    >> data
    >> files with embedded pictures that people have created on their ER5
    >> machines.
    >>
    >> "During the evolution from Psion to Symbian the operating system switched
    >> from ASCII character encoding to Unicode. That's the reason why the ER5
    >> databases don't work on Symbian OS."
    >>
    >> ASCII is good enough for me!
    >>
    >> I've spent about 10 hours googling for ER5 Data stuff, which I've yet to
    >> compile into a single file of notes.
    >> These were the best links I found:
    >> http://www.thomas-milius.homepage.t-...tion/EPCDB.htm
    >> http://software.frodo.looijaard.name/psiconv/
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Paul

    > Hi Paul
    >
    > If I understand your situation correctly, you have a lot of ER5 Data
    > files stored on your PC, which you would like to be able to monge on
    > your PC, for the lack of a working Psion ER5 machine.
    >
    > I *think* the following approach might help: PsiWin 2.3 (free download
    > from the Psion Teklogix web site) will convert ER5 Data files to
    > (amongst other things) Microsoft Access, which can cope with embedded
    > images (not sure about the Greek characters...). It would be worth it
    > to try using PsiWin to convert the Data files on your PC to Access
    > (always assuming that you have access to ( ) a copy of Access to deal
    > with the files when you've converted them...
    >
    > I know that this is rather less than you would like to be able to do,
    > but it's better than nowt.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Ian Park

    Thanks Ian.

    I didn't know that data files could be converted in full, but isn't Access
    the stuff they use where I work? "It's crashed again". (I don't have it
    anyway.)

    I just looked in the Psiwin folder, and ran Convert Files to see what it
    does.
    it just shows "C:\\nB\*.*" and I won't allow me to change the folder name,
    nor select any file type.
    (I do backup my machine, name nB, to C:\ to minimise backup folder lengths.)
    Looks like it's expecting a folder name between the drive name and the
    machine name! Never mind.

    I'm prepared to spend "as long as it takes" experimenting with the ER5 data
    files, as if I can understand what does what, then I should be able to write
    a PC program with many user-interface enhancements (mostly search), without
    needing to change from the ER5 data file structure. (I've spent 10 years
    creating 1800+ files, so it may be 'trivial' by comparison to make a
    compatible windows Data program?)

    My 7book is still working at this point, but its over 6 years old now (had
    three Series 3 machines in the 4 years before, so the upgraded S7 has lasted
    very well, dropped onto tarmac twice, and only recently got a new netBook
    Pro battery :-)

    Paul

  5. Re: Using ER5 data files without a PDA?

    p.s. the Greek characters are just small pictures that I've stored in a
    "Symbols" entry in Jotter, which can be copied and pasted into any word/data
    file etc.

    Paul

  6. Re: Using ER5 data files without a PDA?

    Hi Paul,

    I believe that there is a new ER5 machine on the market, produced by ex
    Psion employees.

    See www.posltd.com

    Regards, Mike

    "Paul Taylor" wrote in message news:448345cf@news.greennet.net...
    > p.s. the Greek characters are just small pictures that I've stored in a
    > "Symbols" entry in Jotter, which can be copied and pasted into any

    word/data
    > file etc.
    >
    > Paul

  7. Re: Using ER5 data files without a PDA? (Virus Warning for posltd.com)

    Mike wrote:
    > See www.posltd.com

    VIRUS WARNING !

    When trying some of the free download (PsiWin), I got a message from my
    anti-virus software : the file/page contained a trojan.

    Just for your information... Perhaps a fake threat, but take care just in case...

    Charly

  8. Re: Using ER5 data files without a PDA?

    In article <6eCdnR-WdLuVUhjZRVnyvA@bt.com>, Mike wrote:
    > The new PDA looks does look like a 5MX but is much better, I am told.
    > (As I have a new, spare, 5MX sitting on the shelf I have not bothered to
    > enquire more deeply).

    32MB as standard, for starters. Also I think the screen is more
    capable
    > 16-level greyscale, 640 x 240 pixels, view full-page width

    while the original Psion screens could only do 4 levels of grey. EPOC is
    16-colour internally, IIRC, so that shouldn't cause display problems. I
    hope. (images of an application that renders one part of the screen as
    colour 13 and a different part as colour 14 because the programmer knew
    that they'd appear the same on the 4-grey of the screen. But I guess such
    issues would have come out with the colour screens anyway.

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  9. Re: Using ER5 data files without a PDA? (Virus Warning for posltd.com)

    In article <4485b9e1$0$20863$636a55ce@news.free.fr>, Charly wrote:
    > When trying some of the free download (PsiWin), I got a message from my
    > anti-virus software : the file/page contained a trojan.
    >
    > Just for your information... Perhaps a fake threat, but take care just in case...

    There is some *extremely* dodgy "spyware "detection" software out there.
    Recently I tried some (because my AV had gone off for the second time this year!)
    to be told that I had 13 pieces of spyware onboard, lead by one it detected on the
    basis of a file called COMWIZ.exe . Apparently that file name was used by a piece
    of spyware that came out in 2003. Unfortunately for the sellers of this spyware, I
    have been using that particular piece of software since 1992 (on Win3.0), so I had
    doubts about the veracity of the "spyware detector".
    Work it out - you get a free download of a spyware detector, which is linked
    to a paid-for spyware *cleaner*. Does it pay you, as a developer, to have low
    numbers of false positives, or high numbers? Not difficult, is it?
    Which reminds me ...

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland

  10. Re: Using ER5 data files without a PDA?

    as far as I can see it, (go to sales) they have only reconditioned 5mx
    to sell, nothing new

  11. Re: Using ER5 data files without a PDA?

    Moin!

    Aidan Karley schrieb:

    > In article <6eCdnR-WdLuVUhjZRVnyvA@bt.com>, Mike wrote:
    >> The new PDA looks does look like a 5MX but is much better, I am told.
    >> (As I have a new, spare, 5MX sitting on the shelf I have not bothered to
    >> enquire more deeply).
    >>

    > 32MB as standard, for starters. Also I think the screen is more
    > capable
    >> 16-level greyscale, 640 x 240 pixels, view full-page width
    >>

    > while the original Psion screens could only do 4 levels of grey. EPOC is
    > 16-colour internally, IIRC, so that shouldn't cause display problems. I
    > hope. (images of an application that renders one part of the screen as
    > colour 13 and a different part as colour 14 because the programmer knew
    > that they'd appear the same on the 4-grey of the screen. But I guess such
    > issues would have come out with the colour screens anyway.

    That are the original specs of at least the Psion 5MX Pro, which can
    display 16 "gray shades" (different shades of gray green, from dark gray
    green to lighter gray green, to be honest :-). If i am not wrong, this is
    true for the original series 5 even.
    The device consumes more power then, so programmers were adviced to use
    this mode only when really needed. Thats why most programs use the 4 col...
    gray shade mode.

    Bye

+ Reply to Thread