Copy and Convert problems - Scion

This is a discussion on Copy and Convert problems - Scion ; Using XP SP2, MS Office 2003 and Psion 5mx. I can copy and convert Excel sheets from PC to Psion with no problem. I can copy, without conversion, Word .doc files. But when I try to copy and convert Word ...

  1. Copy and Convert problems

    Using XP SP2, MS Office 2003 and Psion 5mx. I can copy and convert Excel
    sheets from PC to Psion with no problem. I can copy, without conversion,
    Word .doc files. But when I try to copy and convert Word .doc files, I get
    gibberish on the Psion. Is there some secret setting I should know about?
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford

  2. Re: Copy and Convert problems

    John Dean wrote:
    > Using XP SP2, MS Office 2003 and Psion 5mx. I can copy and convert Excel
    > sheets from PC to Psion with no problem. I can copy, without conversion,
    > Word .doc files. But when I try to copy and convert Word .doc files, I get
    > gibberish on the Psion. Is there some secret setting I should know about?
    > --
    > John Dean
    > Oxford

    I'm guessing here, but I would suggest that when you save a Word
    document from Office 2003, you should do a "save as..." and select an
    older office version, say "Word-97". You have to remember the PsiWin
    was written at a time when Office 2003 didn't exist, and you can be
    sure that MS have changed the file format somewhat. I use PsiWin 2.3 on
    a machine with W2K and Office 2K, and that seems to work fine.

  3. Re: Copy and Convert problems

    Stephen wrote:
    > John Dean wrote:
    > > Using XP SP2, MS Office 2003 and Psion 5mx. I can copy and convert Excel
    > > sheets from PC to Psion with no problem. I can copy, without conversion,
    > > Word .doc files. But when I try to copy and convert Word .doc files, I get
    > > gibberish on the Psion. Is there some secret setting I should know about?
    > > --
    > > John Dean
    > > Oxford

    > I'm guessing here, but I would suggest that when you save a Word
    > document from Office 2003, you should do a "save as..." and select an
    > older office version, say "Word-97". You have to remember the PsiWin
    > was written at a time when Office 2003 didn't exist, and you can be
    > sure that MS have changed the file format somewhat. I use PsiWin 2.3 on
    > a machine with W2K and Office 2K, and that seems to work fine.

    I suppose I should add that when I say it works fine, it will not
    transfer all formatting. I have found that text in text-boxes doesn't
    get transferred, some formatting will change and pictures don't get
    copied over either, but in general the resulting text on the Psion is
    OK, and definately not giberish.

  4. Re: Copy and Convert problems

    Stephen wrote:
    > John Dean wrote:
    >> Using XP SP2, MS Office 2003 and Psion 5mx. I can copy and convert
    >> Excel sheets from PC to Psion with no problem. I can copy, without
    >> conversion, Word .doc files. But when I try to copy and convert Word
    >> .doc files, I get gibberish on the Psion. Is there some secret
    >> setting I should know about? --

    > I'm guessing here, but I would suggest that when you save a Word
    > document from Office 2003, you should do a "save as..." and select an
    > older office version, say "Word-97". You have to remember the PsiWin
    > was written at a time when Office 2003 didn't exist, and you can be
    > sure that MS have changed the file format somewhat. I use PsiWin 2.3
    > on a machine with W2K and Office 2K, and that seems to work fine.

    Excellent. Problem solved. If you ever need a reference, let me know.
    Mind you, it's still a little baffling that an Excel file will convert
    readily and that a 2003 .doc file will show up on the Psion intact even if
    not converted.
    --
    John Dean
    Oxford