Com port problem - Scion

This is a discussion on Com port problem - Scion ; I have managed to demolish the connection settings on Com Port 4 which I use to connect to the PC for both a Psion and Nokia Communicator, and now they won;t connect. It asks me to set the I/O values ...

  1. Com port problem

    I have managed to demolish the connection settings on Com Port 4 which I
    use to connect to the PC for both a Psion and Nokia Communicator, and
    now they won;t connect. It asks me to set the I/O values and IRQ value
    manually, but i have no idea what they should be. Can someone have a
    look on their PC and tell me?

    Thanks,

    Arthur.

  2. Re: Com port problem

    On Sun, 14 May 2006 20:21:34, Arthur Marshall
    wrote:
    >I have managed to demolish the connection settings on Com Port 4 which I
    >use to connect to the PC for both a Psion and Nokia Communicator, and
    >now they won;t connect. It asks me to set the I/O values and IRQ value
    >manually, but i have no idea what they should be. Can someone have a
    >look on their PC and tell me?

    Presumably it's an old-fashioned 9-pin Serial port?
    Here's my settings in Win 98SE:

    Port Settings
    -------------
    Bits per second: 9600
    Data bits: 8
    Parity: None
    Stop bits: 1
    Flow control: Xon / Xoff

    Advanced Port Settings
    ----------------------
    *Check* Use FIFO buffers...
    Receive Buffer - slider at 2/3 marker (ca. 9)
    Transmit Buffer - slider at max (16)

    Sorry I'm no expert, but HTH.

    --
    Cheers,
    Guy

    guy@use.steelpillow.less.com
    To reply, remove useless bits.

  3. Re: Com port problem

    In article <31303030323539354467914E75@zetnet.co.uk>, Arthur Marshall
    wrote:
    > It asks me to set the I/O values and IRQ value
    > manually, but i have no idea what they should be. Can someone have a
    > look on their PC and tell me?

    Unfortunately Guy's told you sensible values for the wrong parameters.
    The standard settings on an IBM-compatible PC for I/O port number and IRQ
    on COMs 1 & 2 are &3f8h / IRQ4 and &2e8h / IRQ3 respectively. For most
    systems that are, like the original 1980 IBM(TM)-PC(TM), endowed with two
    RS-232 serial ports, these figures are almost universal.
    > I have managed to demolish the connection settings on Com Port 4 which I
    > use to connect to the PC for both a Psion and Nokia Communicator,

    Unfortunately, you appear to have 4 COM ports, and you're talking about
    a port not in the IBM spec. All bets are off.
    Sorry, but without more information on the hardware (which you should
    have the manuals for, or be able to get), then you're stuck with working
    your way through all the possible range of settings. You could trim the
    tree of possibilities down somewhat by doing an "IRQ audit" on your
    machine to see which ones are still available, but since many additional
    serial I/O cards implement some sort of IRQ sharing ... That may or may
    not work.
    Is the multi-I/O card set by jumpers, or does it have a diagnostic
    program that can tell you what the present settings are. Or have you been
    trying settings at random and you've re-set the card ...

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland

+ Reply to Thread