Mains power for 5mx - Scion

This is a discussion on Mains power for 5mx - Scion ; I live in Arizona, USA. Can I use a generic AC adapter to connect my Psion 5mx?? Thanks!...

  1. Mains power for 5mx

    I live in Arizona, USA. Can I use a generic AC adapter to connect my
    Psion 5mx??

    Thanks!

  2. Re: Mains power for 5mx

    Lab Rat wrote:
    > I live in Arizona, USA. Can I use a generic AC adapter to connect my
    > Psion 5mx??
    >
    > Thanks!

    I don't have a 5mx myself, but a friend of mine had one a few years
    ago, and I'm sure he used to use his Nokia phone charger with his 5mx.

  3. Re: Mains power for 5mx

    In article ,
    Lab Rat wrote:

    > I live in Arizona, USA. Can I use a generic AC adapter to connect my
    > Psion 5mx??

    I suggest using a regulated DC power supply, rather than the more common
    unregulated adaptors. (Radio Shack or similar could probably supply
    one). If I recall rightly the Psion 5mx needs 6 volts. Make sure the
    polarity is correct. The DC connector is a little unusual, so take your
    Psion with you when shopping.

    Several years ago, before regulated supplies were as common, I just used
    a standard plugpack good for about 9 volts, and stuck a 7505 regulator
    on the end of the cord. Had a couple of diodes in the common lead to
    bring the output up to 6 volts. The entire thing including smoothing
    capacitor just fitted into a fluorescent starter. If you have friends
    into electronic hobby work it is a pretty easy thing to build.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  4. Re: Re: Mains power for 5mx

    - And on 24 Apr 2006 14:00:55 -0700, it was spake thus <1145912455.262579.108200@t31g2000cwb.googlegroups. com> said in message "Stephen" :

    > Lab Rat wrote:
    > > I live in Arizona, USA. Can I use a generic AC adapter to connect my
    > > Psion 5mx??
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > I don't have a 5mx myself, but a friend of mine had one a few years
    > ago, and I'm sure he used to use his Nokia phone charger with his 5mx.

    I now have about 5 of these round the house - been through various phones ! It's
    definitely the easiest/cheapest way to do it.

    I've been using it for so long now I seem to recall having to use a sharp knife to
    take off a little of the plastic to allow the metal bit you push into the 5mx to go
    further in... doesn't matter to the phone that it's now longer than designed

    The newer ones are much better, for some reason with the older ones you'll see that
    the power indicator show it's there it's not it's there it's not....etc.

    Nick
    --
    Nick in Northallerton
    Also @ www.whelan.me.uk

  5. Re: Mains power for 5mx

    "Lab Rat" wrote in message
    >I live in Arizona, USA. Can I use a generic AC adapter to connect my Psion
    >5mx??

    The official 5mx charger is rated for 100-250 volts 50-60 Hz, so the answer
    is, "Yes". Any generic 6 Volt 1 Amp power supply (with the right polarity
    and connector) will do the job if you can't get the official supply.

    Note: that the Psion uses the locking type of plug. It will take the non
    locking type but the insertion isn't that positive.

  6. Re: Mains power for 5mx

    Stephen wrote:
    > Lab Rat wrote:
    > > I live in Arizona, USA. Can I use a generic AC adapter to connect my
    > > Psion 5mx??
    > >
    > > Thanks!

    > I don't have a 5mx myself, but a friend of mine had one a few years
    > ago, and I'm sure he used to use his Nokia phone charger with his 5mx.

    I also live in Arizona and bought a radio shack adapter for a Psion 5
    I'm assuming it would be the same as the 5mx . I can't recall the
    voltage but that would be your best bet.

  7. Re: Mains power for 5mx

    Care: Nokia chargers are 9V nominal, having slightly higher impedance
    however to allow for the 'pulsing' charge electronics to work
    propperly.

    Will work with Psion, but I recommend 6V generic DC mainsconnector
    anyway.

  8. Re: Mains power for 5mx

    Otto Sykora wrote:
    > Care: Nokia chargers are 9V nominal, having slightly higher impedance
    > however to allow for the 'pulsing' charge electronics to work
    > propperly.
    >
    > Will work with Psion, but I recommend 6V generic DC mainsconnector
    > anyway.

    I have two Nokia chargers here that work with both Nokia phones I have.

    One is 3.7Vdc, and only works in UK and Europe (220-240Vac)

    The other is 5.7Vdc and is a travel one, 100-240Vac.

    I have never seen a 9V Nokia charger.

  9. Re: Mains power for 5mx

    >One is 3.7Vdc, and only works in UK and Europe (220-240Vac)

    The other is 5.7Vdc and is a travel one, 100-240Vac.

    I have never seen a 9V Nokia charger.<

    well, yes thats what is written on it...

    but: nokia uses strange charging system, needing rather high impedance
    of the source. It is current source and this is often solved,
    depending on trafo or switchd supply, in a way that there is abt 9-10
    Volt open circuit voltage, and this is dragged down in pulsed form by
    switching the charging on and off . when connected durig the charge
    puls, the voltage will drop to abt the voltage of the battery at that
    time.

    Connecting this to psion, will not make any harm in genral, but you
    can see that the LED will lit somehow brighter then with the original
    PSU. This is because in such case, you supply abt 9V to the psion.

  10. Re: Mains power for 5mx

    Otto Sykora wrote:
    > >One is 3.7Vdc, and only works in UK and Europe (220-240Vac)

    > The other is 5.7Vdc and is a travel one, 100-240Vac.
    >
    > I have never seen a 9V Nokia charger.<
    >
    > well, yes thats what is written on it...
    >
    > but: nokia uses strange charging system, needing rather high impedance
    > of the source. It is current source and this is often solved,
    > depending on trafo or switchd supply, in a way that there is abt 9-10
    > Volt open circuit voltage, and this is dragged down in pulsed form by
    > switching the charging on and off . when connected durig the charge
    > puls, the voltage will drop to abt the voltage of the battery at that
    > time.
    >
    > Connecting this to psion, will not make any harm in genral, but you
    > can see that the LED will lit somehow brighter then with the original
    > PSU. This is because in such case, you supply abt 9V to the psion.

    Well the newer 5.7Vdc charger, outputs 6Vdc with 120mV of ripple when
    unloaded.

    The older one is more interesting. It states 3.7Vdc, but on the scope
    looks like a full wave rectified waveform, but it is distorted in some
    way, as the scope says it is 4.5Vrms, but it peaks at 13V.

  11. Re: Mains power for 5mx

    >The older one is more interesting. It states 3.7Vdc, but on the scope
    looks like a full wave rectified waveform, but it is distorted in some
    way, as the scope says it is 4.5Vrms, but it peaks at 13V.<

    yes this is what it is, as far as the trafo version is concerned. The
    trafo is made intentionaly so , that it goes overloaded to certain
    point when the charging circuit draws the power. The nokia draws
    charging current in abt 1 sec intervals of abt 50percent duty cycle.

    The switched psu has actually similar propperties, when loaded to the
    extent of charging current, voltage drops to abt voltage of the
    battery.

    Therefore it is almost not possible tocharge any nokia phones by let
    say regulated power supply in the lab or similar. Many people use for
    example a simple 9V battery to charge it, but with a resistor of about
    1.2kohm in series.

+ Reply to Thread