Netbook replacement? - Scion

This is a discussion on Netbook replacement? - Scion ; Hello, I'm still sticking to my two Revos even though they are in many ways outdated. But I'm looking for options to replace my Netbook. Do modern laptops have instant-on like the Netbook does? My brother has a nice new, ...

  1. Netbook replacement?

    Hello,

    I'm still sticking to my two Revos even though they are in many ways
    outdated. But I'm looking for options to replace my Netbook. Do modern
    laptops have instant-on like the Netbook does? My brother has a nice new,
    light, small Dell with WinXP. But he says doesn't use the sleep feature or
    similar because it's too buggy. Booting it up doesn't seem to take all that
    long though.

    I'm open to Mac, Windows XP or Linux. Does anyone have experience with these
    platforms? I'm not in any rush, so if I consider WinXP, would it be worth it
    to wait for Vista, perhaps Vista having a better sleep feature?

    Battery life also seems to be improving with the new laptops.

    The Ultra-mobile PC/Origami seems a little smaller than the Netbook which is
    not what I want.

    Thanks in advance.
    --
    Erik Sandblom
    my site is EriksRailNews.com

  2. Re: Netbook replacement?

    Erik Sandblom wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm still sticking to my two Revos even though they are in many ways
    > outdated. But I'm looking for options to replace my Netbook. Do modern
    > laptops have instant-on like the Netbook does? My brother has a nice new,
    > light, small Dell with WinXP. But he says doesn't use the sleep feature or
    > similar because it's too buggy. Booting it up doesn't seem to take all that
    > long though.
    >
    > I'm open to Mac, Windows XP or Linux. Does anyone have experience with these
    > platforms? I'm not in any rush, so if I consider WinXP, would it be worth it
    > to wait for Vista, perhaps Vista having a better sleep feature?
    >
    > Battery life also seems to be improving with the new laptops.
    >
    > The Ultra-mobile PC/Origami seems a little smaller than the Netbook which is
    > not what I want.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    You could try a netBook Pro - similar in size and shape to the netBook
    (I believe), running Windows CE, so all the familiar instant on etc.,
    with reasonable office suite, WiFi compatibility. I don't know where
    you'd get one though

    Stuart

  3. Re: Netbook replacement?

    i artikel C04FFFF8.196F0%eriks@operamail.com, skrev Erik Sandblom på
    eriks@operamail.com den 06-03-29 09.12:

    My mistake, he says it works fine! He writes:

    > - Standby sets the computer to very low power so you can return to your
    > work very quickly. Because it draws some power, I think it can only
    > standby for 10-12 hours.
    > - Hibernate writes the state of your machine to disk and then shuts
    > down. It can boot back up very fast and all your programs are exactly as
    > you left them.
    > - It has a built in wireless card that works great.

    Erik Sandblom

  4. Re: Netbook replacement?

    Erik Sandblom wrote:

    > ...But I'm looking for options to replace my Netbook. Do modern
    > laptops have instant-on like the Netbook does?
    >
    > ...would it be worth it
    > to wait for Vista, perhaps Vista having a better sleep feature?
    >
    >... Battery life also seems to be improving with the new laptops.

    Undoubtedly a Win XP laptop would be much more capable than a Netbook.
    But, for me, the touch screen and the instant-on win the day.
    And the EPOC office suite is much more practical than Microsoft's
    Office xx.
    I was looking at a $2,000 Sony mini laptop at CompUSA t'other day -
    asked the salesman to hibernate it and bring it back. It took a good 30
    seconds, even though there were no running applications and the wait
    from one state to the other was less than a minute.
    And there's also the battery problem. I have a spare one for my
    Netbook (you can get them for $50 these days) - a spare one for your
    laptop would cost you $200. And they don't last long, maybe a year or
    two. And even if you had a spare one, you'd have to shut down your
    laptop and re-boot to replace it.
    Lastly, as you say, Vista's around the corner - buying XP now will cost
    you a bundle in depreciation in a few months.
    At any rate, it all depends on what you need to do. If you need to be
    online all the time Windows is the way to go.

  5. Re: Netbook replacement?

    Bob G wrote:
    > Erik Sandblom wrote:
    >

    >>...But I'm looking for options to replace my Netbook. Do modern
    >>laptops have instant-on like the Netbook does?
    >>
    >>...would it be worth it
    >>to wait for Vista, perhaps Vista having a better sleep feature?
    >>
    >>... Battery life also seems to be improving with the new laptops.
    >>

    > Undoubtedly a Win XP laptop would be much more capable than a Netbook.
    > But, for me, the touch screen and the instant-on win the day.
    > And the EPOC office suite is much more practical than Microsoft's
    > Office xx.
    > I was looking at a $2,000 Sony mini laptop at CompUSA t'other day -
    > asked the salesman to hibernate it and bring it back. It took a good 30
    > seconds, even though there were no running applications and the wait
    > from one state to the other was less than a minute.
    > And there's also the battery problem. I have a spare one for my
    > Netbook (you can get them for $50 these days) - a spare one for your
    > laptop would cost you $200. And they don't last long, maybe a year or
    > two. And even if you had a spare one, you'd have to shut down your
    > laptop and re-boot to replace it.
    > Lastly, as you say, Vista's around the corner - buying XP now will cost
    > you a bundle in depreciation in a few months.
    > At any rate, it all depends on what you need to do. If you need to be
    > online all the time Windows is the way to go.

    Windows online? No thanks! With the original XP, you would have had a
    virus and/or spyware before you'd downloaded SP1. I'd plump for Linux
    or eComStation any time. (Rider: the latest discs of XP come with SP2
    already installed, which reduces risk to the usual crappy state)

    Stuart

  6. Re: Netbook replacement?

    "Erik Sandblom" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm still sticking to my two Revos even though they are in many ways
    > outdated. But I'm looking for options to replace my Netbook. Do modern
    > laptops have instant-on like the Netbook does? My brother has a nice new,
    > light, small Dell with WinXP. But he says doesn't use the sleep feature or
    > similar because it's too buggy. Booting it up doesn't seem to take all
    > that
    > long though.
    >
    > I'm open to Mac, Windows XP or Linux. Does anyone have experience with
    > these
    > platforms? I'm not in any rush, so if I consider WinXP, would it be worth
    > it
    > to wait for Vista, perhaps Vista having a better sleep feature?
    >
    > Battery life also seems to be improving with the new laptops.
    >
    > The Ultra-mobile PC/Origami seems a little smaller than the Netbook which
    > is
    > not what I want.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    > --
    > Erik Sandblom
    > my site is EriksRailNews.com
    > for those who don't believe, no explanation is possible
    > for those who do, no explanation is necessary

    Hopefully Psion will soon release a Linux netBook that can use ER5 Data
    files etc?
    (at least before working EPOC netBooks become vapourware :-)

    Paul.
    ---
    7Book
    2GB CF card, 67% used, 1775 ER5 Data files.
    After recent BST time change: Backup completed in 2225 mins (37 hours over
    115200 serial link!)

  7. Re: Netbook replacement?

    On 2006-03-29 08:12:24 +0100, Erik Sandblom said:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm still sticking to my two Revos even though they are in many ways
    > outdated. But I'm looking for options to replace my Netbook. Do modern
    > laptops have instant-on like the Netbook does? My brother has a nice new,
    > light, small Dell with WinXP. But he says doesn't use the sleep feature or
    > similar because it's too buggy. Booting it up doesn't seem to take all that
    > long though.
    > I'm open to Mac, Windows XP or Linux. Does anyone have experience with these
    > platforms? I'm not in any rush, so if I consider WinXP, would it be worth it
    > to wait for Vista, perhaps Vista having a better sleep feature?
    >
    > Battery life also seems to be improving with the new laptops.
    >
    > The Ultra-mobile PC/Origami seems a little smaller than the Netbook which is
    > not what I want.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    I would recommend a Mac PowerBook, iBook or even the new MacBook,
    having moved from a netBook some time ago. They wake from sleep mode in
    a couple of seconds and can do almost anything a Windows PC can do.

    There is no serial port, so connection to your Revos would not be
    straightforward if you need that. It's not impossible though, see

    Linux on a laptop is rarely a straightforward exercise in my experience.
    --
    Cheers,

    Steve

    The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
    Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  8. Re: Netbook replacement?

    In article , Erik Sandblom wrote:
    > My brother has a nice new,
    > light, small Dell with WinXP. But he says doesn't use the sleep feature or
    > similar because it's too buggy.

    We have the same experience too. And the admins will only send out
    the laptops with "sleep" as the response to 20 minutes inactivity, or the
    lid being closed, which means at least one crash per day.

    [Later] Your brother says it works fine? Well, not for us. We use
    dongle-protected software (at thousands of dollars per seat to install, plus
    a per-year-per-seat licensing fee ... it's worth it !) and the dongles don't
    like talking to a running program across sleep periods. Crash. Bye-bye to
    several hours of real-time work, unless you develop the Ctrl-S twitch again.
    Other programs get bolshy when the hard drive has gone to sleep when you
    wake them up.

    There's still sufficient 5MXs on the market, and the impending POS
    5MX-alike, that they're worth considering if you're looking for something
    with more grunt than a Revo.

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  9. Re: Netbook replacement?

    > You could try a netBook Pro - I don't know where you'd get one though

    We sell the Netbook PRO in english version, new boxed units, 1349 EUR.
    Shipping worldwide.

    PSION shop http://www.pulster.de

    Christoph

  10. Re: Netbook replacement?

    In article ,
    Erik Sandblom wrote:

    > I'm still sticking to my two Revos even though they are in many ways
    > outdated. But I'm looking for options to replace my Netbook. Do modern
    > laptops have instant-on like the Netbook does?

    I use a Macintosh Powerbook, the G4 model, before they moved to Intel
    chips. Waking from sleep is nearly as fast as on my mBook or Psion 7.
    Battery life in sleep is several days (some Windows notebooks can
    survive longer in hibernate mode, with the memory state written to disk,
    but then take longer to restart). You can sleep that model Powerbook,
    and then hot swap the battery. Battery life (for me) has been about
    3h20m in low demand use (I wouldn't expect that life if playing a DVD
    for example). I expect similar from the MacBook Pro (Intel models) but
    would check reviews on specifics, just in case.

    No serial ports, so connecting a Revo may involve some hardware, plus
    you do not have PsiWin. Having 5mx and mBook rather than Revo, I just
    transfer files using the compact flash card. I didn't have much problem
    moving my Psion files, but I don't do syncing.

    Apple will doubtless release more new gear around 6 April, as part of
    their 30th Anniversary news. Maybe one of them will be a smaller
    notebook model. I went for the 15 inch model, as a compromise between
    portability, and desktop replacement, plus that model had a PCCard slot
    which I wanted for easier Psion and camera card use. Good points
    included backlit keys (great during plane flights at night or in
    darkened hotel rooms when someone else is trying to sleep). At home I
    have a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, and a 24 inch display, so I can set
    up the notebook just like a desktop (except it lacks the drive space).

    Unfortunately the Apple iCal is not yet a complete replacement for
    Agenda (does some things better, but you can get Agenda into action a
    little quicker, and the Agenda alarm is better).

    I dumped an IBM Thinkpad when I moved to Apple (after using Windows 3
    and up). I also got advice from people who really knew Linux that
    convinced me Linux was not suitable for my needs. An Apple isn't a
    replacement for a NetBook, but it does a number of similar things very
    well, and does a lot a NetBook can not do. Oh yes, most models cost
    more also. Since you have some time, maybe work out some more questions
    about what you want to do with a notebook computer.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  11. Re: Netbook replacement?

    > Linux on a laptop is rarely a straightforward exercise in my experience.

    just for balance - i'm a heavy windows user, but i'm replying to this
    with linux on my asus laptop which dual boots to windows or linux (fedora
    core 5). i'm not an expert but after an afternoon of googling i got
    everything on the laptop working perfectly - including sleep mode :-)

    i particularly like the fact that i get nearly an hour extra from the
    battery with linux - i guess not running antivirus and firewall apps helps
    a bit there.

    just my 2p worth :-)

    fiev

  12. Re: Netbook replacement?

    Hi Eric,

    Bit off topic but I got a coupla questions about your Mac/Psion
    experience:

    Which version of OS X are you using?

    Does OS X write a file into every directory of the 5MX CF card when you
    connect it via the USB?

    I'm using an iBook G4 OS X 10.4.3 and 5MX. I email files between the
    machines. Occasionally back up via PsionLink

    My previous experience with sticking a 5MX CF card into a Mac resulted
    in a new file becoming written to every directory. An experience I
    found disconcerting.

    Cheers

  13. Re: Netbook replacement?

    On 2006-04-02 03:44:44 +0100, "Noah Spamm"
    said:

    > Hi Eric,
    >
    > Bit off topic but I got a coupla questions about your Mac/Psion
    > experience:
    >
    > Which version of OS X are you using?
    >
    > Does OS X write a file into every directory of the 5MX CF card when you
    > connect it via the USB?
    >
    > I'm using an iBook G4 OS X 10.4.3 and 5MX. I email files between the
    > machines. Occasionally back up via PsionLink
    >
    > My previous experience with sticking a 5MX CF card into a Mac resulted
    > in a new file becoming written to every directory. An experience I
    > found disconcerting.

    You will always get these hidden (at least on a Mac) files when
    connecting a CF to a Mac. I generally see he same thing when I connect
    a camera or transfer files on a memory stick. There is generally one
    for each file - ._filename stores the resource fork etc, .DS_Store
    stores information about the Finder window such as the view options etc.

    They are slightly disconcerting but one learns to live with them.
    Unless there were some way to hide them under ER5 or to quickly 'search
    and destroy' the files (Macro5?) they would get in the way.
    --
    Cheers,

    Steve

    The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
    Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  14. Re: Netbook replacement?

    In article <1143945884.535710.275030@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups. com>,
    "Noah Spamm" wrote:

    > Hi Eric,
    >
    > Bit off topic but I got a coupla questions about your Mac/Psion
    > experience:
    >
    > Which version of OS X are you using?

    10.4.5 (but I started with 10.3.4 or something around then

    > Does OS X write a file into every directory of the 5MX CF card when you
    > connect it via the USB?

    Yes. The Apple file system is notorious for sticking the invisible
    files it uses for trash and resource forks into directories. If your
    files don't have resource forks (photos, text and html do not) then it
    doesn't get too annoying.

    > I'm using an iBook G4 OS X 10.4.3 and 5MX. I email files between the
    > machines. Occasionally back up via PsionLink
    >
    > My previous experience with sticking a 5MX CF card into a Mac resulted
    > in a new file becoming written to every directory. An experience I
    > found disconcerting.

    From the Psion I am mostly using the CF cards to back up my Psion files.
    A script will handle that easily, if you don't just copy the whole card
    (having a 400GB drive is making me lazy about disk space). Plus
    sometimes I want to move a text file or two to the Psion (say for
    working on while away). Actually I often move a whole directory of
    files, on the basis I may need some of them.

    I now often use the digital camera as the USB reader - you do need to
    tell iPhoto to butt out - from Finder. After I get all the transfers
    done, most of the CF cards end up in the camera, and when I put them
    back in the camera I almost always just reformat the CF. So on a day to
    day basis I don't often see the weird Apple files.

    I have been using my Psion a lot less since my travel became less
    frequent. The mBook display isn't really able to cope with the light
    level here in the tropics (and my room is very bright). The Psion is
    easier to use for certain things than anything I've found on Apple. So
    I still keep my appointments in Agenda, which has a better alarm system
    than Apple. I also keep my banking in ABP, again because I haven't
    found anything as easy on the Apple. Also I have a handful of
    spreadsheets and data files I keep as masters on the Psion (for example,
    DVDs and book lists). But my use of the Psion is very much in decline.
    For example, except when travelling, I no longer use the Psion for
    email, web, text entry, word processing.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

+ Reply to Thread