Netbook, WEP and WPA - Scion

This is a discussion on Netbook, WEP and WPA - Scion ; Hi, I have a wireless network at home with WEP security. I've heard WEP encryption is cracked within minutes using an modern home computer, but WPA is better. I read here that my Netbook Classic works with WEP with a ...

  1. Netbook, WEP and WPA

    Hi,

    I have a wireless network at home with WEP security. I've heard WEP
    encryption is cracked within minutes using an modern home computer, but WPA
    is better. I read here that my Netbook Classic works with WEP with a Buffalo
    wifi card, but unfortunately not WPA.
    http://www.pscience5.net/WiFi-3.htm

    Now I see that WPA is backwards compatible with WEP. Does this mean I could
    run WPA on my network and only fall back on WEP only for the connection
    between my Netbook? Would that let a nasty user pick up my key/password and
    bypass WPA entirely?
    http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101190.asp

    Thanks in advance.

    Erik Sandblom
    --
    Erik Sandblom
    my site is EriksRailNews.com

  2. Re: Netbook, WEP and WPA

    On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:49:56 +0200, Erik Sandblom wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a wireless network at home with WEP security. I've heard WEP
    > encryption is cracked within minutes using an modern home computer, but WPA
    > is better. I read here that my Netbook Classic works with WEP with a Buffalo
    > wifi card, but unfortunately not WPA.
    > http://www.pscience5.net/WiFi-3.htm
    >
    > Now I see that WPA is backwards compatible with WEP. Does this mean I could
    > run WPA on my network and only fall back on WEP only for the connection
    > between my Netbook? Would that let a nasty user pick up my key/password and
    > bypass WPA entirely?
    > http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101190.asp
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > Erik Sandblom

    unlikely i think - the setting for security is at your router, my netgear
    can only be set up for wep OR wpa, not both at the same time.

  3. Re: Netbook, WEP and WPA

    Fiev wrote:
    > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:49:56 +0200, Erik Sandblom wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I have a wireless network at home with WEP security. I've heard WEP
    > > encryption is cracked within minutes using an modern home computer, but WPA
    > > is better. I read here that my Netbook Classic works with WEP with a Buffalo
    > > wifi card, but unfortunately not WPA.
    > > http://www.pscience5.net/WiFi-3.htm
    > >
    > > Now I see that WPA is backwards compatible with WEP. Does this mean I could
    > > run WPA on my network and only fall back on WEP only for the connection
    > > between my Netbook? Would that let a nasty user pick up my key/password and
    > > bypass WPA entirely?
    > > http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101190.asp
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >
    > > Erik Sandblom

    > unlikely i think - the setting for security is at your router, my netgear
    > can only be set up for wep OR wpa, not both at the same time.

    A year ago I upgraded my Buffalo airstation wifi router. One of the
    offerings at the time from Buffalo allowed the airstation to select the
    highest encryption available by connection. So it would be possible to
    connect to a Windows laptop with WPA and a netBook with WEP at the same
    time.

    Colin

+ Reply to Thread