LPT adapter for relais controlling - Scion

This is a discussion on LPT adapter for relais controlling - Scion ; HI! There's anybody know something to connect at the parallel port of the psion 5 to control 220V tension? (Excuse my english....) Thanks Fabio...

  1. LPT adapter for relais controlling

    HI!
    There's anybody know something to connect at the parallel port of the psion
    5 to control 220V tension?
    (Excuse my english....)
    Thanks
    Fabio

  2. Re: LPT adapter for relais controlling

    Hi Fabio, you don't have an answer probably because no one knows what
    the hell you're talking about.

    Let me paraphrase.

    Hi

    Anyone know if you can connect something to a psion 5 parallel port to
    control 220V power?

    Thanks.

    Does a psion 5 even have a parallel port?

    Fabio@ wrote:
    > HI!
    > There's anybody know something to connect at the parallel port of the psion
    > 5 to control 220V tension?
    > (Excuse my english....)
    > Thanks
    > Fabio

  3. Re: LPT adapter for relais controlling

    If you mean 'Serial Port', have a look here.
    You will need some suitable relays or circuit mods though.
    http://www.btinternet.com/~taxi_mania/psinok.html

    Regards Barry

    "Noah Spamm" wrote in message
    > Hi Fabio, you don't have an answer probably because no one knows what
    > the hell you're talking about.
    >
    > Let me paraphrase.
    >
    > Hi
    >
    > Anyone know if you can connect something to a psion 5 parallel port to
    > control 220V power?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >

    > Does a psion 5 even have a parallel port?
    >

    > Fabio@ wrote:
    >> HI!
    >> There's anybody know something to connect at the parallel port of the
    >> psion
    >> 5 to control 220V tension?
    >> (Excuse my english....)
    >> Thanks
    >> Fabio

  4. Re: LPT adapter for relais controlling

    --
    I understood Fabio adequately; that he meant tension as in LT or HT. But I
    don't know much about parallel ports, except that it is possible to get a

    Regards, Mike.

  5. Re: LPT adapter for relais controlling

    In article <441d2d4f$0$6951$ed2619ec@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net>,
    "Mike Coon" wrote:

    > > Anyone know if you can connect something to a psion 5 parallel port to
    > > control 220V power?

    The Psion 5 has a custom serial connector. If you have the optional
    parallel printer adaptor, that gives you essentially a regular parallel
    port (about 9 output lines, from 3 to 5 input lines). I am not sure how
    much direct control you would have over the lines, but probably
    considerable.

    The easiest way to control power from any of these lines would be to use
    zero crossing switches. These are a four pin device with a 3-5 volt DC
    control input line (similar to TTL level parallel ports) for signal and
    ground. The other two connectors just switch the 220 volt mains. The
    switching is done as the AC swings through zero. Typical ratings are 3
    amp to real high. Cost should be moderate. They are already rated for
    high isolation between control and power (they basically have an opto
    isolated switch).

    With appropriate software you can do PWM control of high power. For
    example, for a radiator, by switching on and off a different number of
    times per second.

    In addition, some of the older British electronic magazines have had
    articles specifically about controlling devices using a Psion.
    Unfortunately I can't put my hands on copies at the moment.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

+ Reply to Thread