Psion 5 keypad came off - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 5 keypad came off - Scion ; Hi I posted some time ago but no luck. Thought I'd try again. Daughter opened Psion 5 and said "i didn't do anything!". The keypad is no longer attached. I've fiddled with the springs but can't get it back. Any ...

  1. Psion 5 keypad came off

    Hi
    I posted some time ago but no luck. Thought I'd try again.
    Daughter opened Psion 5 and said "i didn't do anything!".
    The keypad is no longer attached. I've fiddled with the springs but can't
    get it back.
    Any help appreciated.
    Ian

  2. Re: Psion 5 keypad came off

    Hi Ian,

    If you're up to it you can repair the Psion 5/5MX yourself.
    Download the Psion Series 5 Service Manual from here:
    http://www.bioeddie.co.uk/userguides/S5serv.rar

    Good luck!

    Richard van Stappershoef

    > I posted some time ago but no luck. Thought I'd try again.
    > Daughter opened Psion 5 and said "i didn't do anything!".
    > The keypad is no longer attached. I've fiddled with the springs but can't
    > get it back.
    > Any help appreciated.
    > Ian

  3. Re: Psion 5 keypad came off

    Oh my god!
    Wish me luck. Many thanks
    Oh you already did. Well going to need it.
    Cheers

    "Richard van Stappershoef" wrote in
    message news:4409af97$0$59010$dbd4b001@news.wanadoo.nl...
    > Hi Ian,
    >
    > If you're up to it you can repair the Psion 5/5MX yourself.
    > Download the Psion Series 5 Service Manual from here:
    > http://www.bioeddie.co.uk/userguides/S5serv.rar
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Richard van Stappershoef

  4. Re: Psion 5 keypad came off

    In article , B Bear wrote:
    > I posted some time ago but no luck. Thought I'd try again.
    > Daughter opened Psion 5 and said "i didn't do anything!".
    > The keypad is no longer attached. I've fiddled with the springs but can't
    > get it back.
    > Any help appreciated.

    I brought a Psion that had been so abused a couple of weeks ago from
    eBay.co.uk. It took me about a hour of fiddling with the jeweller's
    screwdrivers to produce a perfectly working Psion.
    Richard's link to a service manual gives sufficient detail to do the
    disassembly and re-assembly yourself, as long as you've checked that there
    are no broken bits of the keyboard. There should be two restraining sliders
    (one each side) of the keyboard that hook under the edges of the chassis. If
    you don't see the same on each side, or if you see a broken plastic surface
    then something has snapped.
    If in doubt, stick it on eBay as a "damaged repairable".

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  5. Re: Psion 5 keypad came off

    Manual is from Psion itself. www.bioeddie.co.uk got his copy from me.

    > If in doubt, stick it on eBay as a "damaged repairable".

    Or try to get some spares yourself, if you want to keep a working Psion
    5/5MX.
    Even I repair my own. And I'm a non-technician. Just be patient and write
    down what you did step by step.
    I used the same procedure when building my own Transparent Psion 5MX.

    Richard

  6. Re: Psion 5 keypad came off

    In article <440a1b52$0$736$dbd4f001@news.wanadoo.nl>, Richard van
    Stappershoef wrote:
    > Manual is from Psion itself.

    Yes. I read the instructions on the first few pages. BioEddie
    can't be in Aberdeen, because we've got quite thick ice here at the
    moment.

    > If in doubt, stick it on eBay as a "damaged repairable".

    Or try to get some spares yourself,
    ... for which the readiest source is eBay. So ... off to eBay
    one goes.

    > I used the same procedure when building my own Transparent Psion 5MX.

    Now that sounds cool! Where did you post the pictures? You did
    post the pictures, didn't you?
    Hmmm, how could it be done? Make a mould for casting a body of
    methyl methylacrylate, then transplant the other bits of plastic from a
    couple of ex-Psions? Lot of fiddly work.

    http://www.pdatotaal.info/gallery/sh...3b2c31414509a6
    92104150ead&i=364&c=6
    Cool!

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: +57d10' , -02d09' (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233
    Written at Sun, 05 Mar 2006 20:40 GMT

+ Reply to Thread