Emulator for Psion 3a - Scion

This is a discussion on Emulator for Psion 3a - Scion ; Is it possible to get a piece of software which will enable me to run my 3a backup on my PC running Windows XP? -- Alasdair....

  1. Emulator for Psion 3a

    --
    Alasdair.

  2. Re: Emulator for Psion 3a

    Alasdair wrote:
    > Is it possible to get a piece of software which will enable me to run
    > my 3a backup on my PC running Windows XP?

    The 3a emulator will only work in "native" DOS, not the Dos box in
    either Windows or OS/2. However, if you have Virtual PC, you could
    install it in there, which would allow you to have the emulator running
    on your desktop.

    Stuart

  3. Re: Emulator for Psion 3a

    "Srtgray" wrote in message
    > Alasdair wrote:
    > > Is it possible to get a piece of software which will enable me to run
    > > my 3a backup on my PC running Windows XP?
    > >

    > The 3a emulator will only work in "native" DOS, not the Dos box in
    > either Windows or OS/2. However, if you have Virtual PC, you could
    > install it in there, which would allow you to have the emulator running
    > on your desktop.
    >
    > Stuart

    Or install the 3a emulator on a bootable floppy disk, under DOS.

    Simple and much faster than booting windows - any version.

    Alan

  4. Re: Emulator for Psion 3a

    Alan Morris wrote:
    > Or install the 3a emulator on a bootable floppy disk, under DOS.
    >
    > Simple and much faster than booting windows - any version.

    But you will find that DOS won't read the NTFS format filestore on your hard
    disk, so if you want to transfer any files to/from the emulator then they
    will also have to go via the floppy. That also applies to the mapping of the
    A, B and M SSDs that the emulator expects to see: they will all have to be
    on the floppy.

    You could also try running under "DOSbox" from
    http://dosbox.sourceforge.net. It has some limitations, like all the alarm
    sounds do not make the right noise, and I haven't yet got the serial port to
    work...

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  5. Re: Emulator for Psion 3a

    In article , Mike Coon wrote:
    > But you will find that DOS won't read the NTFS format filestore on your hard
    > disk,

    Errr, I think that XP *requires* an NTFS *boot* partition, but it can
    still *handle* FAT and FAT32 partitions, even if it doesn't like them. So if
    your partitioning scheme includes the usual range of file systems, you should
    be able to read some of the drives. Just store the spion-related data on a FAT
    partition.

    Caveat - I've never set up a legal copy of XP, nor a copy that I was
    ever going to use myself, so there may be capabilities and/ or limitations on
    XP that I've not encountered.
    Doesn't XP have yet-another version of NTFS compared to Win2K's version
    and WinNT's version?

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  6. Re: Emulator for Psion 3a

    Aidan Karley wrote:

    > In article , Mike Coon wrote:
    >> But you will find that DOS won't read the NTFS format filestore on your
    >> hard disk,
    >>

    > Errr, I think that XP *requires* an NTFS *boot* partition, but it
    > can
    > still *handle* FAT and FAT32 partitions, even if it doesn't like them. So
    > if your partitioning scheme includes the usual range of file systems, you
    > should be able to read some of the drives. Just store the spion-related
    > data on a FAT partition.

    I have XP on my laptop installed on a FAT32 partition. (Don't know about
    the boot partition though.) Everything works just fine.

  7. Re: Patience

    Hi Alasdair,

    Which Patience game? If you mean the inbuilt game, press the "Help" key for instructions.

    Most good SiBO programs have a built-in help system accessed through the "Help" key. The SiBO keyboard is unusual in having a key actually marked (and dedicated to) "Help".

    Beats the sh1t out of Micro$oft!

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "Time wounds all heels."

    http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/diabetes.html
    http://www.aypee.me.uk/index.html

  8. Re: Emulator for Psion 3a

    Iordani wrote:
    > Aidan Karley wrote:
    >
    >> In article , Mike Coon wrote:
    >>> But you will find that DOS won't read the NTFS format filestore on
    >>> your hard disk,
    >>>

    >> Errr, I think that XP *requires* an NTFS *boot* partition,
    >> but it can
    >> still *handle* FAT and FAT32 partitions, even if it doesn't like
    >> them. So if your partitioning scheme includes the usual range of
    >> file systems, you should be able to read some of the drives. Just
    >> store the spion-related data on a FAT partition.
    >>

    > I have XP on my laptop installed on a FAT32 partition. (Don't know
    > about the boot partition though.) Everything works just fine.

    Conversely, I don't know if DOS/emulator can cope with FAT32! I guess it can
    since I suppose that was what I had under Win95 etc to get long file names.

    I've discovered another limitation of emulator under DOSbox, though: DOSbox
    maps most Cntrl-Function key combinations for its own purposes. I am only
    gradually learning how to unmap so that the Psion Series-3 combinations are
    available instead...

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  9. Re: Patience

    Captain's log. On StarDate Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:06:52 +0000 received comm from
    phil.see.website@invalid.co.uk (Phil Aypee) on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:

    : Hi Alasdair,
    :
    : Which Patience game? If you mean the inbuilt game, press the "Help" key for instructions.
    :
    : Most good SiBO programs have a built-in help system accessed through the "Help" key. The SiBO keyboard is unusual in having a key actually marked (and dedicated to) "Help".
    :
    : Beats the sh1t out of Micro$oft!

    F1

    martin

    --
    Martin Törnsten - http://martin.tornsten.com/

    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download

  10. Re: Patience

    Martin T wrote:
    > Captain's log. On StarDate Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:06:52 +0000 received comm from
    > phil.see.website@invalid.co.uk (Phil Aypee) on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:
    >
    > : Hi Alasdair,
    > :
    > : Which Patience game? If you mean the inbuilt game, press the "Help" key for instructions.
    > :
    > : Most good SiBO programs have a built-in help system accessed through the "Help" key. The SiBO keyboard is unusual in having a key actually marked (and dedicated to) "Help".
    > :
    > : Beats the sh1t out of Micro$oft!
    >
    > F1
    >
    > martin

    No F1 key (or any "F" keys) on my Jornada 680

    Stuart

  11. Re: Emulator for Psion 3a

    Mike Coon wrote:

    > Conversely, I don't know if DOS/emulator can cope with FAT32! I guess it can
    > since I suppose that was what I had under Win95 etc to get long file names.
    >
    > I've discovered another limitation of emulator under DOSbox, though: DOSbox
    > maps most Cntrl-Function key combinations for its own purposes. I am only
    > gradually learning how to unmap so that the Psion Series-3 combinations are
    > available instead...

    Emulator under XP Home with DOSbox can write to NTFS as easy as FAT32.
    (By which I mean you cannot create directories.)
    A positive feature is that DOSbox only recognises Drives you tell it about
    and so I set my windows Desktop as Drive D:

  12. Re: Patience

    Hi Martin,

    Micros**t originally wanted F4 to be the help key but F1 was a better idea. But, as far as I know, no DOSS or Windoze computer actually has a key called "Help".

    But my 3as, 3cs and 3mx have (and I believe my 3 had too). I think the Siena and WorkABOUT are similarly well-endowed.

    Are there *any* non-SiBO computers with a truly dedicated help key? I seem to remember the BBC (Acorn) had one and maybe the Sinclair. It's a good idea as a dedicated help key would make a proper help file more likely, especially if there is a dedicated
    Take care,
    Phil.

    "Time wounds all heels."

    http://uk.geocities.com/philadkinsp/diabetes.html