change language of Psion 5 - Scion

This is a discussion on change language of Psion 5 - Scion ; is there anyone who knows if it is possible to change the language of the OS of a psion serie 5? I've bought a psion 5 on ebay, but this PDA is in neerland language, i'd like to put it ...

  1. change language of Psion 5

    is there anyone who knows if it is possible to change the language of the OS
    of a psion serie 5?

    I've bought a psion 5 on ebay, but this PDA is in neerland language, i'd
    like to put it in english or italian language.

    Please help me!

  2. Re: change language of Psion 5

    Hi Sergio,

    Just try to exchange it with a Dutch Psioncollector who has an English
    version.
    Will have a look myself in my large Psioncollection.

    Richard van Stappershoef
    (the Dutch Psioncollector)

    "Sergio Tosi" schreef in bericht
    > is there anyone who knows if it is possible to change the language of the

    OS
    > of a psion serie 5?
    >
    > I've bought a psion 5 on ebay, but this PDA is in neerland language, i'd
    > like to put it in english or italian language.
    >
    > Please help me!

  3. Re: change language of Psion 5

    Sergio Tosi wrote:

    > is there anyone who knows if it is possible to change the language of the
    > OS of a psion serie 5?
    >
    > I've bought a psion 5 on ebay, but this PDA is in neerland language, i'd
    > like to put it in english or italian language.
    >
    > Please help me!

    The Psion 5 (not the 5mx) ?

    Just swap the internal ROM. It's fixed on the motherboard. You will have to
    change the keyboard too.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  4. Re: change language of Psion 5

    yes, but I should have an english ROM, have you one?

    "AM Christophe" ha scritto nel messaggio
    > Sergio Tosi wrote:
    >
    >> is there anyone who knows if it is possible to change the language of the
    >> OS of a psion serie 5?
    >>
    >> I've bought a psion 5 on ebay, but this PDA is in neerland language, i'd
    >> like to put it in english or italian language.
    >>
    >> Please help me!

    > The Psion 5 (not the 5mx) ?
    >
    > Just swap the internal ROM. It's fixed on the motherboard. You will have
    > change the keyboard too.
    >

    > --
    > ,,,
    > (._.)
    > /|\+\\
    > \|/ @u(==-

  5. Re: change language of Psion 5

    In article <43d3496e$0$26115$626a14ce@news.free.fr>, AM Christophe wrote:
    > Just swap the internal ROM. It's fixed on the motherboard. You will have to
    > change the keyboard too.

    Which begs a question the more techie types could probably answer :
    what's the size and form factor of the ROM? And are "images" available of the
    appropriate versions of Psion localisations.
    (Actually, I suspect that you could obtain the latter from a living
    Psion of the appropriate localisation. I have vague memories of hearing of
    this.)

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  6. Re: change language of Psion 5

    "Aidan Karley"
    schreef in bericht
    news:VA.00000bf1.1390fd13@validemailaddresstoa.new s.group...
    > In article <43d3496e$0$26115$626a14ce@news.free.fr>, AM Christophe wrote:
    >> Just swap the internal ROM. It's fixed on the motherboard. You will have
    >> change the keyboard too.
    >>

    > Which begs a question the more techie types could probably answer :
    > what's the size and form factor of the ROM? And are "images" available of
    > the
    > appropriate versions of Psion localisations.
    > (Actually, I suspect that you could obtain the latter from a living
    > Psion of the appropriate localisation. I have vague memories of hearing of
    > this.)

    Yes, but what would you do with such an image ? There is no equipment to
    flash the ROM.
    I am not even sure if the 5's ROM is a flash ROM. It was the intention to
    make ROM updates, but this would have to be done by replacing the whole
    chip.

  7. Re: change language of Psion 5

    In article <0xQAf.172821$Qx4.6648870@phobos.telenet-ops.be>, Dixit wrote:
    > I am not even sure if the 5's ROM is a flash ROM. It was the intention to
    > make ROM updates, but this would have to be done by replacing the whole
    > chip.

    Is the ROM socketed, or directly soldered? If it's socketed (which I
    think is generally the way these things go), then you simply burn a ROM of
    identical electrical logical and physical form factors and drop it in. If
    the ROM is permanently attached then it'll need some backdoor to allow it to
    be flashed at least once. Might need contacts on the motherboard though.

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: +57d10' , -02d09' (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233
    Written at Sun, 22 Jan 2006 19:06 GMT

+ Reply to Thread