trouble connecting my Psion Revo to a desktop - Scion

This is a discussion on trouble connecting my Psion Revo to a desktop - Scion ; Like a lot of other users I am having trouble connecting my Psion Revo to a Dell Desktop, running XP Home SP2. I had bought a USB-RS232 interface lead from Expansys, as part of a bundle with a Revo docking ...

  1. trouble connecting my Psion Revo to a desktop

    Like a lot of other users I am having trouble connecting my Psion Revo to a
    Dell Desktop, running XP Home SP2. I had bought a USB-RS232 interface lead
    from Expansys, as part of a bundle with a Revo docking station. (It contains
    a"prolific" chip).

    I've looked through various forums for clues as to why it will not work.

    I've installed Psiwin 2.3.3, tired various drivers etc. I've tried baud
    rate, COM port setting to no avail.

    I have managed to get the two machines to communicate after a fashion by
    running hyperterminal on the PC and the

    "Hermes" terminal emulator on the Psion. Characters can be passed to a fro
    like this.

    Also I can see a string of data on the PC's hyperterminal window being sent
    from the Psion, just by enabling the link on the Psion. COnverseley, I can
    see some data being picked up by the
    Psion (using hermes), when Psiwin tries to connect.

    Finally i found a small program called PsiLog link (Southern Cross
    Software Solutions). Although this is intended

    for use with data logging applications, when run on the PC it opens
    communications to the Psion almost immediately.

    The outcom of this would seem to me to proove that the USB/RS232 convertor
    is basically running correctly, and all I can deduce is that PSIWIN is
    trying to do something odd with the com port.

    If anyone could she some light on things I would be very grateful, since I'm
    now stumped!

    Many Thanks

    Robinski

  2. Re: trouble connecting my Psion Revo to a desktop

    Robinski wrote:

    > Like a lot of other users I am having trouble connecting my Psion Revo to
    > a Dell Desktop, running XP Home SP2. I had bought a USB-RS232 interface
    > lead from Expansys, as part of a bundle with a Revo docking station. (It
    > contains a"prolific" chip).

    Have you tried to close ALL other programs while trying to connect? Some
    programs are known to interfere with PsiWin. (at least this was the case
    when I used it)

  3. Re: trouble connecting my Psion Revo to a desktop

    "Iordani" schreef in bericht
    > Robinski wrote:
    >

    >> Like a lot of other users I am having trouble connecting my Psion Revo to
    >> a Dell Desktop, running XP Home SP2. I had bought a USB-RS232 interface
    >> lead from Expansys, as part of a bundle with a Revo docking station. (It
    >> contains a"prolific" chip).

    > Have you tried to close ALL other programs while trying to connect? Some
    > programs are known to interfere with PsiWin. (at least this was the case
    > when I used it)

    Indeed, especially all kinds of Internet programs and the Internet
    connection itself. Sometimes it is even necessary to unplug the network
    cable.
    A bit complicated...

    A question to the OP by the way: don't the Dell *desktops* even have a
    serial connection anymore ?
    Oh dear... for a laptop I can understand this, but for a desktop...

  4. Re: trouble connecting my Psion Revo to a desktop

    In article <9AQAf.172830$BJ.6531121@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
    "Dixit" wrote:

    > A question to the OP by the way: don't the Dell *desktops* even have a
    > serial connection anymore ?
    > Oh dear... for a laptop I can understand this, but for a desktop...

    My most recent two (laptop and desktop) computers do not even offer
    serial or IrDA ports. They assume connections will be made via
    Bluetooth, Wifi and 10/100/Gigabit Ethernet cable.

    It isn't only Psion that are hard to connect. GPS systems and boat
    autopilots increasingly have to go via USB to serial converters (and
    that can be a real pain). This has been a big factor in the decline of
    my Psion use. I simply don't sync it at all these days. Though I can
    at least backup the CF card, which isn't an option on a Revo.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  5. Re: trouble connecting my Psion Revo to a desktop

    Answer is to build a kind of null-modem, to loop the CTS RTS DSR etc signals
    back into each device with only tx rx and Ground wired through

    I've tried this on two Dell desktops with success

    Hopefully I've got this comment tacked onto the right message this time

    "Eric Lindsay" wrote in message
    > In article <9AQAf.172830$BJ.6531121@phobos.telenet-ops.be>,
    > "Dixit" wrote:
    >
    >> A question to the OP by the way: don't the Dell *desktops* even have a
    >> serial connection anymore ?
    >> Oh dear... for a laptop I can understand this, but for a desktop...

    > My most recent two (laptop and desktop) computers do not even offer
    > serial or IrDA ports. They assume connections will be made via
    > Bluetooth, Wifi and 10/100/Gigabit Ethernet cable.
    >
    > It isn't only Psion that are hard to connect. GPS systems and boat
    > autopilots increasingly have to go via USB to serial converters (and
    > that can be a real pain). This has been a big factor in the decline of
    > my Psion use. I simply don't sync it at all these days. Though I can
    > at least backup the CF card, which isn't an option on a Revo.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.ericlindsay.com

+ Reply to Thread