Psion works fine once, but then "no psion detected" - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion works fine once, but then "no psion detected" - Scion ; Please help! I've got a new Psion 5mx for my Windows XP PC. Psiwin 2.3 is the software. My problem is that I can connect the psion via the serial cable and it work fine. However, if I disconnect it ...

  1. Psion works fine once, but then "no psion detected"

    Please help!

    I've got a new Psion 5mx for my Windows XP PC. Psiwin 2.3 is the
    software.

    My problem is that I can connect the psion via the serial cable and it
    work fine. However, if I disconnect it then reconnect, my PC then
    refuses to recognise the psion. I have to restart the whole PC or jsut
    face endless "No Psion Detected" while the flat 'connection' line down
    in the menu refuses to wiggle (indicating a connection).

    It might be a port problem. Currently the serial connection is set on
    COM1 and COM2. I've got two serial ports with just the psion in either
    of them and - while I'd guess that the psion is in port COM1 (I don't
    know which is which) it should surely be ok to leave my settings with
    both COM1 and COM2 ticked, since it's jsut the psion connection plugged
    into either port?

    The psiwin process 'psconsv.exe' is sometimes noted to be 'unable to
    shutdown'. I know I can use CTRL ALT DEL to close it, but that doesn't
    help the connection. Also I know that psconsv.exe is apparently a
    function that can be safely deleted if I don't want it, but I'm
    reluctant to do that and doubt it would solve the problem.

    Does anyone have any thoughts?

    Best

    Mike

  2. Re: Psion works fine once, but then "no psion detected"

    Rigol wrote:
    > Please help!
    >
    > I've got a new Psion 5mx for my Windows XP PC. Psiwin 2.3 is the
    > software.
    >
    > My problem is that I can connect the psion via the serial cable and it
    > work fine. However, if I disconnect it then reconnect, my PC then
    > refuses to recognise the psion. I have to restart the whole PC or jsut
    > face endless "No Psion Detected" while the flat 'connection' line down
    > in the menu refuses to wiggle (indicating a connection).
    >
    > It might be a port problem. Currently the serial connection is set on
    > COM1 and COM2. I've got two serial ports with just the psion in either
    > of them and - while I'd guess that the psion is in port COM1 (I don't
    > know which is which) it should surely be ok to leave my settings with
    > both COM1 and COM2 ticked, since it's jsut the psion connection plugged
    > into either port?
    >
    > The psiwin process 'psconsv.exe' is sometimes noted to be 'unable to
    > shutdown'. I know I can use CTRL ALT DEL to close it, but that doesn't
    > help the connection. Also I know that psconsv.exe is apparently a
    > function that can be safely deleted if I don't want it, but I'm
    > reluctant to do that and doubt it would solve the problem.
    >
    > Does anyone have any thoughts?
    >
    > Best
    >
    > Mike

    When you say PsiWin 2.3, have you tried upgrading to 2.3.3? I
    understand that version works best with XP. Also, if your user isn't
    and administrator, that can cause problems. My setup is Win XP Pro, my
    user is a local administrator, and I have PsiWin 2.3.3 co-existing
    happily with ActiveSync for a Jornada machine. It detects the PSion
    every time it is connected.

    Stuart

  3. Re: Psion works fine once, but then "no psion detected"

    "Rigol" wrote in message
    news:1137104316.999883.68820@o13g2000cwo.googlegro ups.com...
    > Please help!
    >
    > I've got a new Psion 5mx for my Windows XP PC. Psiwin 2.3 is the
    > software.
    >
    > My problem is that I can connect the psion via the serial cable and it
    > work fine. However, if I disconnect it then reconnect, my PC then
    > refuses to recognise the psion. I have to restart the whole PC or jsut
    > face endless "No Psion Detected" while the flat 'connection' line down
    > in the menu refuses to wiggle (indicating a connection).
    >
    > It might be a port problem. Currently the serial connection is set on
    > COM1 and COM2. I've got two serial ports with just the psion in either
    > of them and - while I'd guess that the psion is in port COM1 (I don't
    > know which is which) it should surely be ok to leave my settings with
    > both COM1 and COM2 ticked, since it's jsut the psion connection plugged
    > into either port?
    >
    > The psiwin process 'psconsv.exe' is sometimes noted to be 'unable to
    > shutdown'. I know I can use CTRL ALT DEL to close it, but that doesn't
    > help the connection. Also I know that psconsv.exe is apparently a
    > function that can be safely deleted if I don't want it, but I'm
    > reluctant to do that and doubt it would solve the problem.

    Make sure that you have the latest version of PsiWin (2.3.3?). Earlier
    versions are less happy with XP.

    Also go to your connections dialogue box and check that you chosen COM port
    is top of the list and disable the others. PsiWin seems to have trouble
    when the COM port is down the list.

    As a final thought: does your PC have a real RS232 serial port ore are you
    using a USB to RS232 conversion lead. PsiWin really does not like these
    devices, and effects vary.

  4. Re: Psion works fine once, but then "no psion detected"

    On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:18:37, Rigol wrote:
    >Please help!
    >
    >I've got a new Psion 5mx for my Windows XP PC. Psiwin 2.3 is the
    >software.
    >
    >My problem is that I can connect the psion via the serial cable and it
    >work fine. However, if I disconnect it then reconnect, my PC then
    >refuses to recognise the psion. I have to restart the whole PC or jsut
    >face endless "No Psion Detected" while the flat 'connection' line down
    >in the menu refuses to wiggle (indicating a connection).
    >
    >It might be a port problem. Currently the serial connection is set on
    >COM1 and COM2. I've got two serial ports with just the psion in either
    >of them and - while I'd guess that the psion is in port COM1 (I don't
    >know which is which) it should surely be ok to leave my settings with
    >both COM1 and COM2 ticked, since it's jsut the psion connection plugged
    >into either port?
    >
    >The psiwin process 'psconsv.exe' is sometimes noted to be 'unable to
    >shutdown'. I know I can use CTRL ALT DEL to close it, but that doesn't
    >help the connection. Also I know that psconsv.exe is apparently a
    >function that can be safely deleted if I don't want it, but I'm
    >reluctant to do that and doubt it would solve the problem.
    >
    >Does anyone have any thoughts?

    Just checking the basics. Have you tried right-clicking the flat black
    line icon in the system tray (right hand end of desktop task bar) and
    selecting Connect?

    --
    Cheers,
    Guy

    guy@use.steelpillow.less.com
    To reply, remove useless bits.

  5. Re: Psion works fine once, but then "no psion detected"

    Thanks a lot for your help, guys.

    It looks like the solution was an upgrade to Psiwin 2.3.3 and now
    fingers-crossed it looks to be fine. But boy, did it take a while to
    sort out!

    My damn PC really didn't want to install 2.3.3, claiming it couldn't
    because there were still elements of 2.3 stuck on th system. I tried
    registry cleaners etc and even a special cleaner programme especially
    made for Psiwin to try to remove the original 2.3 - but to no avail.
    Eventually I used my PC's System Restore function to get my PC back to
    its pre-Psiwin state, THEN isntalled 2.3.3 and hey presto it worked!
    Phew! 2.3 was really hanging in there! :-D Without System Restore, I
    could have been stuck.

    All the best

    Mike - a happy Psion5mx user.

+ Reply to Thread