USB infrared - Scion

This is a discussion on USB infrared - Scion ; Folks, Ages ago my netBook stopped connecting via the normal cable. This is not a massive problem, but I would prefer to be able to use psiWin for backup rather than FTPing, and installation is a chore copying SIS files. ...

  1. USB infrared

    Folks,

    Ages ago my netBook stopped connecting via the normal cable. This is
    not a massive problem, but I would prefer to be able to use psiWin for
    backup rather than FTPing, and installation is a chore copying SIS
    files. Also, I need to print occasionally, another pain.

    So, what is the story on an infrared connector?

    My PC has top mounted USB ports (irritatingly just 2), so I thought
    that since USB infrared devices cost almost nothing, this may be an
    option. I run Win2003AS/EE.

    An alternative is some sort of table mounted serial device which I
    think psion made at one point.

    So what are my options ?
    Is anyone successfully using infrared for Pswin connection, install etc
    via USB device ?

    cheers
    Dr. Dweeb

  2. Re: USB infrared

    "Dr. Dweeb" wrote in message
    news:1136877584.759995.267600@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Folks,
    >
    > Ages ago my netBook stopped connecting via the normal cable. This is
    > not a massive problem, but I would prefer to be able to use psiWin for
    > backup rather than FTPing, and installation is a chore copying SIS
    > files. Also, I need to print occasionally, another pain.
    >
    > So, what is the story on an infrared connector?
    >
    > My PC has top mounted USB ports (irritatingly just 2), so I thought
    > that since USB infrared devices cost almost nothing, this may be an
    > option. I run Win2003AS/EE.
    >
    > An alternative is some sort of table mounted serial device which I
    > think psion made at one point.
    >
    > So what are my options ?
    > Is anyone successfully using infrared for Pswin connection, install etc
    > via USB device ?

    It would work if Windows and the psion spoke the same infra red language.
    They don't. However the Psion can be persuaded to do so by installing
    plBeam, which is now available for free from:

    http://www.psiloc.com/?id=239

  3. Re: USB infrared

    "The Electric Fan Club" schreef in
    bericht news:43c3b677$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net...

    > "Dr. Dweeb" wrote in message
    > news:1136877584.759995.267600@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >> Folks,
    >>
    >> Ages ago my netBook stopped connecting via the normal cable. This is
    >> not a massive problem, but I would prefer to be able to use psiWin for
    >> backup rather than FTPing, and installation is a chore copying SIS
    >> files. Also, I need to print occasionally, another pain.
    >>
    >> So, what is the story on an infrared connector?
    >>
    >> My PC has top mounted USB ports (irritatingly just 2), so I thought
    >> that since USB infrared devices cost almost nothing, this may be an
    >> option. I run Win2003AS/EE.
    >>
    >> An alternative is some sort of table mounted serial device which I
    >> think psion made at one point.
    >>
    >> So what are my options ?
    >> Is anyone successfully using infrared for Pswin connection, install etc
    >> via USB device ?
    >>

    > It would work if Windows and the psion spoke the same infra red language.
    > They don't. However the Psion can be persuaded to do so by installing
    > plBeam, which is now available for free from:
    >
    > http://www.psiloc.com/?id=239

    That depends on what Windows you have. Windows 98 is directly compatible
    with the Psion, for Win 2k and Win XP you have www.ircomm2k.de .

  4. Re: USB infrared

    Well, I wrote the version of Windows that I was running in the original
    post :-)
    Thanks for the link !

    Dr. Dweeb

  5. Re: USB infrared

    Dr. Dweeb wrote:
    > Well, I wrote the version of Windows that I was running in the original
    > post :-)
    > Thanks for the link !

    I have just installed a USB-IRDA adaptor, followed by IrCOMM on my PC
    and then plBeam from psiloc on my netBook.
    I can confirm that with a Windows XP Home Edition (SP2) PC, connection
    to my netBook and subsequent file transfer appears to be 100% reliable
    and much easier than fiddling with cables. I could not get it to work
    with the Java Psion Link however and don't use PsiWin.
    Regards,
    Jonathan Briggs

+ Reply to Thread