Using Compact Flash card with Psion 5mx - Scion

This is a discussion on Using Compact Flash card with Psion 5mx - Scion ; Compact Flash cards have become cheap enough that I decided it was finally time to buy one for my Psion 5mx. I'd like to switch all my data over to the CF card, so that I have a "secure"(?!) backup ...

  1. Using Compact Flash card with Psion 5mx

    Compact Flash cards have become cheap enough that I decided it was
    finally time to buy one for my Psion 5mx.

    I'd like to switch all my data over to the CF card, so that I have a
    "secure"(?!) backup of my data. It's a hassle for me to have to boot to
    the darkside to backup to Windows, and unfortunately, I've never had
    much success with Linux Psion connectivity programs.

    Am I right in thinking that if my data is on the CF card, it's pretty
    safe (except when being written to, I suppose), since it's not affected
    by battery problems, etc?

    If I do move all of my data over to the CF card, are there any caveats I
    should be aware of? For example, I notice that the Contacts database is
    actually stored in a file in the System folder: is that safe to move
    this file to the CF card, or is the Contacts program not likely to
    tolerate this?

    Alternatively, is there a free (or cheap) program I could install on my
    Psion to backup my data in RAM to the CF card periodically (kinda like a
    cronjob)?

    Thanks for any advice,

    David.

    --
    David M. -- Edinburgh, Scotland.--[en, fr, (de)]--[reply-to valid <365d]
    Please trim quotes & interleave reply for readability, don't be lazy

  2. Re: Using Compact Flash card with Psion 5mx

    I would say it's about time you get a CF card. :-) I use 512MB on my
    Psions.

    Your data is pretty safe, but is affected by a weak battery. You
    shouldn't write to it with a weak battery.

    I keep almost everything on the CF card (D drive) except the files that
    are there on a brand-new, out-of-the-box machine. I don't think you can
    put Contacts on the D drive.

    You can backup your entire C drive onto the D using FastBackup - free:
    http://www.freepoc.org/viewapp.php?id=45

    If you use a CF card, I would think you'd want to backup that drive,
    too. I've found very few problems backing up my D drive to XP using a
    card reader. But it sounds like you don't want to use Windose. In any
    case, I would be very uncomfortable if I didn't backup the D drive. I
    want *everything* backed up!

    You don't mention which Psion you have. I'm assuming it a 5, 5mx, or
    netBook. I don't know anything about earlier Psions.

    Keith

  3. Re: Using Compact Flash card with Psion 5mx

    David M writes:

    > Compact Flash cards have become cheap enough that I decided it was
    > finally time to buy one for my Psion 5mx.
    >
    > I'd like to switch all my data over to the CF card, so that I have a
    > "secure"(?!) backup of my data. It's a hassle for me to have to boot to
    > the darkside to backup to Windows, and unfortunately, I've never had
    > much success with Linux Psion connectivity programs.

    > Alternatively, is there a free (or cheap) program I could install on my
    > Psion to backup my data in RAM to the CF card periodically (kinda like a
    > cronjob)?

    I use "CronTab" and a macro to back up changed files on my C: drive to
    a CF card at 4 a.m. every day. That way, if my Psion goes down or I
    drop it, I don't lose more than a day's entries. And I have a spare
    5mx so I am up and running again quickly. I can easily let you have a
    copy of the macro if you wish.

    Periodically I back up C: to my PC, using "plpbackup" under Linux, and
    then clear the backup folder on the Psion's CF card. And I, too,
    avoid the "darkside". What problems have you had with Linux
    connectivity? Plptools works fine for me.

    Be aware that not all CF cards work in the 5mx. I have found that
    Maxell and Sandisk CF cards seem to be OK, but another I tried (can't
    remember the make, unfortunately, but it came from Currys) was simply
    not recognized by the Psion - it just said the card wasn't there! I
    then bought a 256MB Sandisk card from Comet, which is fine. Also
    there is someone on eBay who regularly sells Viking cards up to 128Mb
    - he says that they are all tested on Psions.

    David

    --

    David Sumbler

    Please reply with a followup to the newsgroup.

    However, if you _really_ want to send me an e-mail,
    replace "nospam" in my address with "aeolia".

  4. Re: Using Compact Flash card with Psion 5mx

    "ohsix" wrote in message
    news:1136867503.028904.322560@g49g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    >I would say it's about time you get a CF card. :-) I use 512MB on my
    > Psions.
    >
    > Your data is pretty safe, but is affected by a weak battery. You
    > shouldn't write to it with a weak battery.

    Using disposeable batteries shouldn't be a problem. If a write does halt,
    the Psion should suspend the write until the batteries are replaced.
    However, if you use Ni-Cds or Ni-MH batteries, they die so quickly, the card
    can be corrupted before the Psion can recover.

    > I keep almost everything on the CF card (D drive) except the files that
    > are there on a brand-new, out-of-the-box machine. I don't think you can
    > put Contacts on the D drive.

    Contacts can be kept on the D: drive (there is an option under preferences):
    but I believe there can be problems if the card is removed and contacts
    started. Some config files prefer to be kept on C:. There is an odd error
    that sometimes occurs once you start using a Flash card. It occurs when you
    open the door - an AppServer error. If this occurs, just move the contents
    of D:\system\recogs to the C: drive.

    > You can backup your entire C drive onto the D using FastBackup - free:
    > http://www.freepoc.org/viewapp.php?id=45

+ Reply to Thread