Psion 7 - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 7 - Scion ; I have just acquired a Psion 7 from a colleague, who has had it for a long time and doesn't use it any more. I had made him an offer for it, on the assumption (and condition) that it had ...

  1. Psion 7

    I have just acquired a Psion 7 from a colleague, who has had it for a
    long time and doesn't use it any more. I had made him an offer for
    it, on the assumption (and condition) that it had all the original
    bits and pieces and was intact.

    However, there is no manual, no pen (which is a trivial matter), and
    the only lead is the power lead. No doubt the serial lead that I use
    with my 5mx will do the necessary job. It does come with a Gold card
    (which is actually of little interest to me) and a 64Mb CF card.

    It has no space bar! It is certainly in a bit of a sorry state
    generally.

    At the back, on the left, is an opening with what looks like two LEDs
    inside. I am guessing that this is the infra-red port, and that it
    should have a red lens (probably cosmetic) in the hole. Can somebody
    confirm that (or otherwise)?

    Also, on the base, near the opening for the backup battery, there is a
    connector. It seems a funny place to have it. What on earth is it
    for?

    And when I explore the "discs", the CF card is reported as drive D:,
    but I am told that drive E: is not present. What would drive E: be,
    and where does it go?

    Shame there's no manual - it would have answered all these questions.

    I actually want this machine to try to run Linux on it, so some of the
    above points are possibly irrelevant. But without the answers, I
    don't really know!

    David

    --

    David Sumbler

    Please reply with a followup to the newsgroup.

    However, if you _really_ want to send me an e-mail,
    replace "nospam" in my address with "aeolia".

  2. Re: Psion 7

    On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 22:47:13 +0000
    David Sumbler wrote:

    > However, there is no manual, no pen (which is a trivial matter), and
    > the only lead is the power lead. No doubt the serial lead that I use
    > with my 5mx will do the necessary job.

    It will.

    > It does come with a Gold card
    > (which is actually of little interest to me) and a 64Mb CF card.
    >
    > It has no space bar! It is certainly in a bit of a sorry state
    > generally.

    Removing the space bar isn't easy. I wonder how your colleague did it.

    > At the back, on the left, is an opening with what looks like two LEDs
    > inside. I am guessing that this is the infra-red port, and that it
    > should have a red lens (probably cosmetic) in the hole. Can somebody
    > confirm that (or otherwise)?

    Confirmed. It should have a red, roughly triangular plastic cover.

    > Also, on the base, near the opening for the backup battery, there is a
    > connector. It seems a funny place to have it. What on earth is it
    > for?

    It's used to connect to the docking station. You connect the serial
    cable and the power supply to the docking station and then place the 7
    on it.

    > And when I explore the "discs", the CF card is reported as drive D:,
    > but I am told that drive E: is not present. What would drive E: be,
    > and where does it go?

    E: would be a second CF card you plug in the PCMCIA slot (where the
    Gold card goes) using a CF/PCMCIA adapter. It's an easy way to make
    backups if you don't have PsiWin.

    Take care,

    --
    Stefaan
    --

  3. Re: Psion 7

    > However, there is no manual,
    >
    > Shame there's no manual - it would have answered all these questions.

    You can download the manual in PDF format at:

    http://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/ps...tml#userguides

    it's the fourth one in the list: Psion Series 7 User Guide (2.74 MB)

    I hope that helps answer some of your questions.

    Gareth

    Gareth J M Saunders
    Edinburgh UK

  4. Re: backlight macro?

    Hi Ric,

    Haven't you tried Macro5? That does what you want
    (but you have to tell it when day and night are!).

    It's also a function of Merlin, PsiLoc+ and several
    other useful utilities.

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "Time wounds all heels."

    http://aypee1.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/index.html

  5. Re: Psion 7

    Hello,

    Congratulations with your newly acquired 7 ! It is a pity though, that the
    condition is not that good.

    "David Sumbler" schreef in bericht
    >I have just acquired a Psion 7 from a colleague, who has had it for a
    > long time and doesn't use it any more. I had made him an offer for
    > it, on the assumption (and condition) that it had all the original
    > bits and pieces and was intact.
    >
    > However, there is no manual, no pen (which is a trivial matter), and
    > the only lead is the power lead. No doubt the serial lead that I use
    > with my 5mx will do the necessary job. It does come with a Gold card
    > (which is actually of little interest to me) and a 64Mb CF card.

    What kind of Gold card ? Only the modem or the modem + Internet ? If it is
    the second, you have a very rare and still expensive piece of kit for a
    Psion.
    Your serial cable will work fine, but do not forget that it should be put
    upside down in the Psion (with the zig-zag symbol on top), compared to the
    5mx.

    > It has no space bar! It is certainly in a bit of a sorry state
    > generally.

    Amazing... :-(
    the 7 is the sturdiest Psion ever.

    Spare keyboards are available at www.pulster.de .

    > At the back, on the left, is an opening with what looks like two LEDs
    > inside. I am guessing that this is the infra-red port, and that it
    > should have a red lens (probably cosmetic) in the hole. Can somebody
    > confirm that (or otherwise)?

    My infrared-eye is on the right and indeed, it is covered with a lense.

    > Also, on the base, near the opening for the backup battery, there is a
    > connector. It seems a funny place to have it. What on earth is it
    > for?

    For the netBook docking station (www.pulster.de also). This was an
    overpriced and quite useless accessory to connect the netBook (or 7) to the
    PC and charge it at the same time.

    > And when I explore the "discs", the CF card is reported as drive D:,
    > but I am told that drive E: is not present. What would drive E: be,
    > and where does it go?

    Your PCMCIA slot at the right side of the netBook, right under the pen. If
    you want to use E: the best thing is to buy a CF-to-PCMCIA adapter. Careful:
    buy only the adapter that can only read CF cards. The adapter that reads all
    kinds of memory cards might not work.

    > Shame there's no manual - it would have answered all these questions.
    >
    > I actually want this machine to try to run Linux on it, so some of the
    > above points are possibly irrelevant. But without the answers, I
    > don't really know!

    http://www.openpsion.org/

    I actually like this quote:
    " N.B.: Linux on the netBook is still alpha/sub-beta stage. For example,
    there is no way to turn the linBook off yet. "
    Right... that's not quite useful.

    Keep us informed. I think there are quite some readers here who would like
    to read your experiences.

    > David
    >
    > --
    >
    > David Sumbler
    >
    > Please reply with a followup to the newsgroup.
    >
    > However, if you _really_ want to send me an e-mail,
    > replace "nospam" in my address with "aeolia".

+ Reply to Thread