Psion 5 Backlight and Serial Don't Work Without Backup Battery? - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 5 Backlight and Serial Don't Work Without Backup Battery? - Scion ; Hello- I recently purchased a used Psion 5 for use as a serial console. However after recieving it I get "access denied" while using the Comm application and the backlight doesn't work. The backup battery *is* dead, do these pieces ...

  1. Psion 5 Backlight and Serial Don't Work Without Backup Battery?

    Hello-

    I recently purchased a used Psion 5 for use as a serial console.
    However after recieving it I get "access denied" while using the Comm
    application and the backlight doesn't work.

    The backup battery *is* dead, do these pieces of hardware stop working
    when the backup battery is dead? Can someone remove their battery on a
    working piece of hardware and check for me?

    Thank You.

  2. Re: Psion 5 Backlight and Serial Don't Work Without Backup Battery?

    philipsb@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hello-
    >
    > I recently purchased a used Psion 5 for use as a serial console.
    > However after recieving it I get "access denied" while using the Comm
    > application and the backlight doesn't work.
    >
    > The backup battery *is* dead, do these pieces of hardware stop working
    > when the backup battery is dead? Can someone remove their battery on a
    > working piece of hardware and check for me?
    >
    > Thank You.

    The backup battery has nothing to do with the backlight or any of the
    applications.
    It's there solely to provide enough power to preserve the existing data
    when you change the main batteries.

    A set of fresh batteries should power the backlight if there's nothing
    wrong with it. You may have a loose connection.

    Also, the backlight has a limited useful life - it begins to fade from
    the start and eventually fails.

    As far as your "access denied" problem it's hard to tell what's going
    on unless you provide more detail. It seems to be a simple software
    problem.

  3. Re: Psion 5 Backlight and Serial Don't Work Without Backup Battery?

    Hi Philip,

    As Bob says, it might easily be that the backlight is faulty.

    But try this: take out all 3 batteries (AAs and CR2032) -
    leave the beast to completely discharge for a few hours
    and then put in *new* batteries. The machine will then be
    as good as it can be. Any problems still occurring will need
    fixing with a proper service (and I assume there isn't a CF
    card in it causing trouble).

    If the Comms application is the only real problem it might
    be worth trying one of the third-party programs (Hermes is
    one, free too).

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "Time wounds all heels."

    http://aypee1.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

  4. Re: Psion 5 Backlight and Serial Don't Work Without Backup Battery?

    Phil Aypee wrote:

    > Hi Philip,
    >
    > As Bob says, it might easily be that the backlight is faulty.
    >
    > But try this: take out all 3 batteries (AAs and CR2032) -
    > leave the beast to completely discharge for a few hours
    > and then put in *new* batteries. The machine will then be
    > as good as it can be. Any problems still occurring will need
    > fixing with a proper service (and I assume there isn't a CF
    > card in it causing trouble).
    >
    > If the Comms application is the only real problem it might
    > be worth trying one of the third-party programs (Hermes is
    > one, free too).

    Be aware that you can only do one com-like thing at a time - so 'Access
    denied' on the wired com port may need that infra-red is enabled and needs
    to be disabled.
    --
    Cheers,
    Set Square

  5. Re: Psion 5 Backlight and Serial Don't Work Without Backup Battery?

    I once had an American professor, an author of several books, email me over
    the Access Denied problem whilst trying to access the serial port.

    As Set Square points out, the, 'Remote Link', accessible from the main
    screen menu, might be set to something else. Turn it 'Off'

    --
    Regards Barry
    www.taximania.net

    "Set Square" wrote in message
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Phil Aypee wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Philip,
    >>
    >> As Bob says, it might easily be that the backlight is faulty.
    >>
    >> But try this: take out all 3 batteries (AAs and CR2032) -
    >> leave the beast to completely discharge for a few hours
    >> and then put in *new* batteries. The machine will then be
    >> as good as it can be. Any problems still occurring will need
    >> fixing with a proper service (and I assume there isn't a CF
    >> card in it causing trouble).
    >>
    >> If the Comms application is the only real problem it might
    >> be worth trying one of the third-party programs (Hermes is
    >> one, free too).
    >>

    > Be aware that you can only do one com-like thing at a time - so 'Access
    > denied' on the wired com port may need that infra-red is enabled and needs
    > to be disabled.
    > --
    > Cheers,
    > Set Square
    > ______
    > Please reply to newsgroup. Reply address is invalid.

+ Reply to Thread