5MX USB Cable - Scion

This is a discussion on 5MX USB Cable - Scion ; Hi Does anybody know of a USB cable for 5MX. -- Many Thanks Enquirer...

  1. 5MX USB Cable

    --
    Many Thanks

    Enquirer

  2. Re: 5MX USB Cable

    In article , Enquirer wrote:
    > Does anybody know of a USB cable for 5MX.

    Psions don't do USB, to the best of my knowledge. At all. Full
    stop.
    You may find you can connect your Psion to a USB to RS-232
    adaptor.

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  3. Re: 5MX USB Cable

    "enquirer" wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anybody know of a USB cable for 5MX.
    >
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer

    No point in having a cable with nowhere to plug it.

    Alan Morris.

  4. Re: 5MX USB Cable

    I connect my Psion 5MX to my iMac via USB cable all the time.

    You'll find the software at http://www.littlespikeyland.com/psionlink/

    You need a serial to USB cable adapter as described on the FAQ there.

    enquirer wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anybody know of a USB cable for 5MX.
    >
    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer

  5. Re: 5MX USB Cable

    "Noah Spamm" wrote in message
    news:1134045454.147468.308570@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > I connect my Psion 5MX to my iMac via USB cable all the time.
    >
    > You'll find the software at http://www.littlespikeyland.com/psionlink/
    >
    > You need a serial to USB cable adapter as described on the FAQ there.

    > > Does anybody know of a USB cable for 5MX.

    That is *not* a USB cable. It is a USB/serial adaptor connected to the
    Psion with a serial cable. A big difference.

    Psions do not have a USB port.

    Alan Morris.

  6. Re: 5MX USB Cable

    Sorry.

    You're wrong.

    I connect my Psion 5mx to my iMac through a USB cable all the time.

    You can call it what you want but I know a USB cable when I use it to
    flog the dog.

    So there is some point in having a cable because there is somewhere to
    plug it in.

    Off you go back to comp.pedants.whatever

    Alan Morris wrote:
    > "Noah Spamm" wrote in message
    > news:1134045454.147468.308570@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > > I connect my Psion 5MX to my iMac via USB cable all the time.
    > >
    > > You'll find the software at http://www.littlespikeyland.com/psionlink/
    > >
    > > You need a serial to USB cable adapter as described on the FAQ there.

    > > > Does anybody know of a USB cable for 5MX.

    > That is *not* a USB cable. It is a USB/serial adaptor connected to the
    > Psion with a serial cable. A big difference.
    >
    > Psions do not have a USB port.
    >
    > Alan Morris.

  7. Re: 5MX USB Cable

    there is simply no way to connect psion to usb, since there is no usb on
    psion
    or can you tell me where do you connect the usb cable to? perhaps to the
    power connector?

  8. Re: 5MX USB Cable

    In article <1134495683.551159@fuchs.cyberlink.ch>,
    Otto Sykora wrote:
    > there is simply no way to connect psion to usb, since there is no usb on
    > psion
    > or can you tell me where do you connect the usb cable to? perhaps to the
    > power connector?

    I think that he is talking about connecting the Psion to the USB port on
    the other computer - which makes more sense.

    --
    David Wild using RISC OS on broadband

  9. Re: 5MX USB Cable

    "Otto Sykora" wrote:

    > there is simply no way to connect psion to usb, since there is no usb on
    > psion
    > or can you tell me where do you connect the usb cable to? perhaps to the
    > power connector?

    USB is a master-slave system where the PC is the master controller, and
    the devices connected to it are peripherals (like printers, scanners,
    mouse, keyboard). Therefore you would need the Psion to be (or act
    like) a USB client device. Your only potential method is a USB to
    Serial converter, which has the required USB client software but acts
    (for the Psion) like a serial port.

    So you have Windows PC USB port to
    USB to Serial Aadaptor to
    Psion Serial port.

    Most Windows based software for connecting to a Psion assumes that it
    will be using a serial port. So the USB software will have to be able
    to pretend it is a serial port.

    In general, it would be easier to install a genuine serial port in the
    Windows system.

    --
    http://www.ericlindsay.com

  10. Re: 5MX USB Cable

    > Getting the correct tools is necessary. Comp.pedants.whatever
    > might be appropriate to discussing whether to us a metric adjustable
    > spanner on Volvos, but imperial adjustables on a General Motors , but
    > it's not appropriate to discussion of whether an intelligent
    > non-passing-through communications device is the same as a dumb bag of
    > wires.

    Who cares.

    The original poster clearly wanted to link his psion via a USB port to
    something. Probably a computer.

    Probably to move data to or from the damn thing. What was your
    interpretation?

    Until I posted, the only answers he got were entirely unhelpful,
    boorish, pedantic and sneeringly moronic.

    Nitwit.

  11. Re: 5MX USB Cable

    > Probably to move data to or from the damn thing. What was your
    > interpretation?
    >
    > Until I posted, the only answers he got were entirely unhelpful,
    > boorish, pedantic and sneeringly moronic.

    I thought Eric's reply was fair and helped clarify the situation.

    In my opinion, no question is too stupid if you don't know the answer.
    That's how we learn.

    Gareth J M Saunders
    Edinburgh, UK

+ Reply to Thread