Help with hinge plastics repair.... - Scion

This is a discussion on Help with hinge plastics repair.... - Scion ; Hi folks, A couple of months ago I joined this group when I got hold of a Series 5mx. I mentioned stress cracks in the hinges. I had managed to reglue (with super glue) one of the bits of plastic ...

  1. Help with hinge plastics repair....

    Hi folks,

    A couple of months ago I joined this group when I got hold of a Series
    5mx. I mentioned stress cracks in the hinges. I had managed to reglue
    (with super glue) one of the bits of plastic over the metal hinges.

    Well today I realized that it had cracked off again and this time I
    cannot find the missing piece. Is there any place or person that can
    do a plastics replacement? I don't want to shelve my Psion.

    Thanks!
    Scott Strungis

  2. Re: Help with hinge plastics repair....

    scotty wrote:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > A couple of months ago I joined this group when I got hold of a Series
    > 5mx. I mentioned stress cracks in the hinges. I had managed to reglue
    > (with super glue) one of the bits of plastic over the metal hinges.
    >
    > Well today I realized that it had cracked off again and this time I
    > cannot find the missing piece. Is there any place or person that can
    > do a plastics replacement? I don't want to shelve my Psion.

    http://www.posltd.com/service-psion.htm

  3. Re: Help with hinge plastics repair....

    In article <3vghpuF15qrc5U1@individual.net>, Iordani
    wrote:

    > scotty wrote:
    >
    > > Hi folks,
    > >
    > > A couple of months ago I joined this group when I got hold of a Series
    > > 5mx. I mentioned stress cracks in the hinges. I had managed to reglue
    > > (with super glue) one of the bits of plastic over the metal hinges.
    > >
    > > Well today I realized that it had cracked off again and this time I
    > > cannot find the missing piece. Is there any place or person that can
    > > do a plastics replacement? I don't want to shelve my Psion.

    > http://www.posltd.com/service-psion.htm

    This is a bit of a pickle. Once I do the currency conversion, the bill
    for the reapairs is more than I paid for the Psion originally.

    Scott

  4. Re: Help with hinge plastics repair....

    In article <041220051014167902%nobody@home.net>, Scotty wrote:
    > Well today I realized that it had cracked off again and this time I
    > cannot find the missing piece. Is there any place or person that can
    > do a plastics replacement?

    Lordani suggests POS, who I can attest are good, and shouldn't
    have any difficulty about doing a "case-ectomy" replace the outer case)
    for you. But they're in London, and you're on home.net, which I think
    is a US ISP (?), so you may be looking at hefty shipping charges and
    insurance, plus a while in the post.
    Depending on how much plastic is missing, you may be able to get
    away with moulding something like Araldite (or any epoxy two-part resin
    you can get hold of in vaguely the right colour) over the missing part,
    then once it has cured hard (~24 hours at room temperature), sanding
    the excess down by hand or using a tool like a "Dremel".

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  5. Re: Help with hinge plastics repair....

    scotty wrote:
    > Well today I realized that it had cracked off again and this time I
    > cannot find the missing piece. Is there any place or person that can
    > do a plastics replacement? I don't want to shelve my Psion.

    Superglew isn't a long term fix.

    For my Series 3, the solution I have found is a combination of tiny
    fiberglass strands and epoxy resin (the rest stuff, not the 5 minute one.

    To get proper colour, you can sprinkle a bit of toner from
    photocopier/laser printer. That gives it a pitch black colour.

    You need to work with very small instruments (such as needles) to
    deposit the strands and resin and make sure the resin goes into the tiny
    cracks so it can really "grab" on to the surface. Everything is in very
    tiny amounts. The fiberglass strands add some strength but also help
    keep the rsin in place while it dries. It takes about 30-40 minutes for
    it to start to settle, and a full 24-48 hours before it is fully
    hardened. Once it has begun to dry up, when it is becoming solid but
    still maleable, you may wish to close and open the unit to unsure that
    it doesn't interfere with full movement. That action will squeeze any
    excess resin out.

    It is fine work. More like a watch repairman instead of a steel
    worker... Make sure you have some fine oil on the metal hinge so that
    the resin doesn't adhere to it. In fact, a bit of grease is better since
    it will leave a bigger gap around the hinge to ease its movement inside
    its new environment surrounded by the resin.

  6. Re: Help with hinge plastics repair....

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Superglue isn't a long term fix.
    >
    > For my Series 3, the solution I have found is a combination of tiny
    > fiberglass strands and epoxy resin (the rest stuff, not the 5 minute
    > one.

    JF forgot to mention that all the superglue is going have to be scratched
    off before putting on any fresh resin otherwise it will limit the adhesion
    you get.

    Though I have to say that I have never had a problem with hinges, just with
    the power socket. And with the SSD door switches on my 3mx. I didn't realise
    that it has proper switches not just tracks on the motherboard like the 3a.
    If you put the motherboard back with the doors closed, and press it in, you
    break the switches. I managed to get replacements and fit them but I would
    much rather have avoided the trouble!

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  7. Re: Help with hinge plastics repair....

    "scotty" wrote in message
    > In article <3vghpuF15qrc5U1@individual.net>, Iordani
    > wrote:
    >
    >> scotty wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi folks,
    >> >
    >> > A couple of months ago I joined this group when I got hold of a Series
    >> > 5mx. I mentioned stress cracks in the hinges. I had managed to reglue
    >> > (with super glue) one of the bits of plastic over the metal hinges.
    >> >
    >> > Well today I realized that it had cracked off again and this time I
    >> > cannot find the missing piece. Is there any place or person that can
    >> > do a plastics replacement? I don't want to shelve my Psion.

    >> http://www.posltd.com/service-psion.htm

    > This is a bit of a pickle. Once I do the currency conversion, the bill
    > for the reapairs is more than I paid for the Psion originally.

    Shouldn't be. They do a fixed price service that includes replacement of
    the case parts as required. It is nowhere near the new price.

  8. Re: Help with hinge plastics repair....

    The Electric Fan Club wrote:
    > "scotty" wrote in message
    >
    >>In article <3vghpuF15qrc5U1@individual.net>, Iordani
    >> wrote:

    >>>http://www.posltd.com/service-psion.htm

    >>This is a bit of a pickle. Once I do the currency conversion, the bill
    >>for the reapairs is more than I paid for the Psion originally.
    >>

    > Shouldn't be. They do a fixed price service that includes replacement of
    > the case parts as required. It is nowhere near the new price.

    Ah, but if he bought one secondhand (which seems likely these days)?

    Stuart

+ Reply to Thread