WiFi netBook - Scion

This is a discussion on WiFi netBook - Scion ; Hi, I have gotten hold of a Avaya (Lucent) wifi card and was hoping to get on the air. I have an Asus 500 wireless routing already at work in the house. The Avaya card leds flash when I try ...

  1. WiFi netBook

    Hi,

    I have gotten hold of a Avaya (Lucent) wifi card and was hoping to get on
    the air. I have an Asus 500 wireless routing already at work in the house.
    The Avaya card leds flash when I try to ping another node, but I get no
    response. I've tried all sets of TCP/IP settings but to no avail.
    Where do I go from here? I feel entirely blind-folded.

    Erlend

  2. Re: WiFi netBook

    Erlend Fjøsna wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I have gotten hold of a Avaya (Lucent) wifi card and was hoping to get on
    > the air. I have an Asus 500 wireless routing already at work in the house.
    > The Avaya card leds flash when I try to ping another node, but I get no
    > response. I've tried all sets of TCP/IP settings but to no avail.
    > Where do I go from here? I feel entirely blind-folded.
    >
    > Erlend

    This is a good site with lots of info and links.

    http://www.epocfaq.co.uk/

  3. Re: WiFi netBook

    On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 20:56:33 +0100, Iordani
    wrote:

    > Erlend Fjøsna wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have gotten hold of a Avaya (Lucent) wifi card and was hoping to get
    >> on
    >> the air. I have an Asus 500 wireless routing already at work in the
    >> house.
    >> The Avaya card leds flash when I try to ping another node, but I get no
    >> response. I've tried all sets of TCP/IP settings but to no avail.
    >> Where do I go from here? I feel entirely blind-folded.
    >>
    >> Erlend

    > This is a good site with lots of info and links.
    >
    > http://www.epocfaq.co.uk/

    Thank you.
    Unfortunately I've been through it already.

    I have some more information: The NetStatRF application reports:
    "Searching for initial connection"
    Signal to Noise Ration 0db
    Average signal level 27db

    To me this looks like it does not pick up any signal from the wifi-router.
    I am assuming that there is an internal antenna? I do not require an
    external?

    Help appreciated,

    Erlend

  4. Re: WiFi netBook

    And
    http://www.pscience5.net/WiFi-1.htm
    too
    Jack

    In news:3umk6rF11b4a4U1@individual.net,
    Iordani typed:
    > Erlend Fjøsna wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I have gotten hold of a Avaya (Lucent) wifi card and was hoping to
    >> get on the air. I have an Asus 500 wireless routing already at work
    >> in the house. The Avaya card leds flash when I try to ping another
    >> node, but I get no response. I've tried all sets of TCP/IP settings
    >> but to no avail.
    >> Where do I go from here? I feel entirely blind-folded.
    >>
    >> Erlend

    > This is a good site with lots of info and links.
    >
    > http://www.epocfaq.co.uk/

  5. Re: WiFi netBook

    Hi Erlend,

    > > I have gotten hold of a Avaya (Lucent) wifi card and was hoping to get

    on
    > > the air. I have an Asus 500 wireless routing already at work in the

    house.
    > > The Avaya card leds flash when I try to ping another node, but I get no
    > > response. I've tried all sets of TCP/IP settings but to no avail.
    > > Where do I go from here? I feel entirely blind-folded.

    What is the model number and FCC ID of the card that you're using. It's got
    to be exactly the right card otherwise it won't work -- I had that problem,
    and oddly of two cards with exactly the same FCC ID only one of them worked!

    Can you test the WiFi card out on a laptop to make sure that the card is
    working properly?

    Sincerely,

    Gareth J M Saunders
    Edinburgh UK
    http://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/psion/

  6. Re: WiFi netBook

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 03:34:15 GMT, Gareth J M Saunders
    wrote:

    > Hi Erlend,
    >
    >> > I have gotten hold of a Avaya (Lucent) wifi card and was hoping to get

    > on
    >> > the air. I have an Asus 500 wireless routing already at work in the

    > house.
    >> > The Avaya card leds flash when I try to ping another node, but I get

    >> no
    >> > response. I've tried all sets of TCP/IP settings but to no avail.
    >> > Where do I go from here? I feel entirely blind-folded.

    > What is the model number and FCC ID of the card that you're using. It's
    > got
    > to be exactly the right card otherwise it won't work -- I had that
    > problem,
    > and oddly of two cards with exactly the same FCC ID only one of them
    > worked!
    >
    > Can you test the WiFi card out on a laptop to make sure that the card is
    > working properly?
    >
    > Sincerely,
    >
    > Gareth J M Saunders
    > Edinburgh UK
    > http://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/psion/

    Gareth,

    There was a shout of joy yesterday: I'm on the air with my netBook!
    I did exactly what you suggest - plugged the wifi card into an old laptop
    (which needed some tending to to awaken after all these months). There was
    some life, but only "searching for network". A long story short: I changed
    the wireless router channel mode from auto to #1, and then the laptop
    connected, as did the netBook. Excellent!
    It still remains to see though how it will manage to connect away from
    home, when I cannot fiddle with the base stations.

    Can't believe I'm msn-ing from a netBook - who would have thought. WHY has
    this product died? Who wants 2 hours battery life, minutes of booting,
    shoulderbag, etc.? Not me.

    Sincerely,

    Erlend
    Norway

  7. Re: WiFi netBook

    Good news Erlend!

    > There was a shout of joy yesterday: I'm on the air with my netBook!
    > I did exactly what you suggest - plugged the wifi card into an old laptop
    > (which needed some tending to to awaken after all these months). There was
    > some life, but only "searching for network". A long story short: I changed
    > the wireless router channel mode from auto to #1, and then the laptop
    > connected, as did the netBook.

    Well done, well discovered.

    > It still remains to see though how it will manage to connect away from
    > home, when I cannot fiddle with the base stations.

    Indeed, but when you can connect to the internet sitting in a pub or café
    somewhere it's such a great feeling. And I don't know about you, but I
    always get comments about my Psion whenever I take it out in public.

    > Can't believe I'm msn-ing from a netBook - who would have thought. WHY has
    > this product died? Who wants 2 hours battery life, minutes of booting,
    > shoulderbag, etc.? Not me.

    Indeed. I love that I can email, surf the web, FTP and use MSN Messenger on
    a Psion! (I have a modded Series 7 -- the so-called "7Book".)

    I'd really like to try the Netbook Pro, now -- even though it has a
    Windows-based OS and not Symbian/EPOC OS.

    Gareth J M Saunders
    Edinburgh, UK

  8. Re: WiFi netBook

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 23:11:08 GMT, Gareth J M Saunders
    wrote:

    > Good news Erlend!
    >
    >> There was a shout of joy yesterday: I'm on the air with my netBook!
    >> I did exactly what you suggest - plugged the wifi card into an old
    >> laptop
    >> (which needed some tending to to awaken after all these months). There
    >> was
    >> some life, but only "searching for network". A long story short: I
    >> changed
    >> the wireless router channel mode from auto to #1, and then the laptop
    >> connected, as did the netBook.

    > Well done, well discovered.
    >
    >> It still remains to see though how it will manage to connect away from
    >> home, when I cannot fiddle with the base stations.

    > Indeed, but when you can connect to the internet sitting in a pub or café
    > somewhere it's such a great feeling. And I don't know about you, but I
    > always get comments about my Psion whenever I take it out in public.
    >
    >> Can't believe I'm msn-ing from a netBook - who would have thought. WHY
    >> has
    >> this product died? Who wants 2 hours battery life, minutes of booting,
    >> shoulderbag, etc.? Not me.

    > Indeed. I love that I can email, surf the web, FTP and use MSN
    > Messenger on
    > a Psion! (I have a modded Series 7 -- the so-called "7Book".)
    >
    > I'd really like to try the Netbook Pro, now -- even though it has a
    > Windows-based OS and not Symbian/EPOC OS.
    >
    > Gareth J M Saunders
    > Edinburgh, UK

    Gareth,

    Tell you what I love? It's when executives come lugging into meeting rooms
    and start the paniced search for power outlets, while I take the
    opportunity to chat up the secretary. Then I sit down and flip open my
    netBook. No paper, no mouse, no boot-wait, no mess. And those guys are in
    general openly envious - in particular in meetings in the US. Then during
    the coffee break they come around to look at it and start asking questions
    about how large is the HDD, how big is the memory, etc. Jaws goes slack
    and eyes go blank when they realise that I have the nerve to run
    non-microsoft. They then realise that this particular gadget is not
    available to them - it is out of bound, simply.

    On the more private side I agree with you. Although Norway is destined to
    not have PUBs (in the decent sense), it is certainly good to cafe-surf or
    even outside-petrol-station surf.

    I have one remaining challenge, though: norwegian keyboard. See separate
    posting.

    Regards,

    Erlend

+ Reply to Thread