psion 3a to serial gps - Scion

This is a discussion on psion 3a to serial gps - Scion ; I have a question concerning an old Psion 3a. Recently I bought a gps receiver, RS232 serial connect to my laptop. Now I really would like to connect it to the serial port of my old Psion. To be perfectly ...

  1. psion 3a to serial gps

    I have a question concerning an old Psion 3a.
    Recently I bought a gps receiver, RS232 serial connect to my laptop.
    Now I really would like to connect it to the serial port of my old
    Psion.
    To be perfectly honest, i have no idea how to start.
    I read somewhere to use a nullmodem, but I think the cable that can
    link the psion to the serial port of my laptop is the same.

    Please kindly send me some help.

    Thanks a lot, maybe this old psion will start his new life soon.

  2. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    syrus666 wrote:

    > I have a question concerning an old Psion 3a.
    > Recently I bought a gps receiver, RS232 serial connect to my laptop.
    > Now I really would like to connect it to the serial port of my old
    > Psion.
    > To be perfectly honest, i have no idea how to start.
    > I read somewhere to use a nullmodem, but I think the cable that can
    > link the psion to the serial port of my laptop is the same.
    >
    > Please kindly send me some help.
    >

    > Thanks a lot, maybe this old psion will start his new life soon.

    See my answer in alt.satellite.gps
    --
    Cheers,
    Set Square

  3. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    syrus666 wrote:

    > I have a question concerning an old Psion 3a.
    > Recently I bought a gps receiver, RS232 serial connect to my laptop.
    > Now I really would like to connect it to the serial port of my old
    > Psion.
    > To be perfectly honest, i have no idea how to start.

    Once you have the hadrware issue fixed, you then need software that
    interfaces with your particular GPS unit. There is no standard for
    uploading/downloading data between a computer and GPS unit. There is
    the NMEA standard which allows "live" control (eg: your PSION gets
    constant serial feed giving your location).

  4. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > syrus666 wrote:
    >>
    >> I have a question concerning an old Psion 3a.
    >> Recently I bought a gps receiver, RS232 serial connect to my laptop.
    >> Now I really would like to connect it to the serial port of my old
    >> Psion.
    >> To be perfectly honest, i have no idea how to start.

    > Once you have the hadrware issue fixed, you then need software that
    > interfaces with your particular GPS unit. There is no standard for
    > uploading/downloading data between a computer and GPS unit. There is
    > the NMEA standard which allows "live" control (eg: your PSION gets
    > constant serial feed giving your location).

    But there is a good choice, including my own "GarmEdit" (only for Garmin
    GPSs), also RealMaps etc, depending on what you want to do...

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  5. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    In article <1132520646.111728.74400@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.c om>,
    Syrus666 wrote:
    > I read somewhere to use a nullmodem, but I think the cable that can
    > link the psion to the serial port of my laptop is the same.

    ISTR that when I had a GPS (Garmin; burgled now), I had to have
    a special cable to connect to the contacts on the GPS (same cable can
    also provide power to the GPS). That output to the same gender as the
    Psion-to-PC cable, so I needed a gender-bender. I also needed a "null
    modem" adaptor which swapped IIRC lines Tx and Rx while passing SG
    through.
    To reduce the contact count (and therefore the failure point
    count), the Garmins only use 3 wires of the standard RS-232 set - Tx
    for transmitted data; Rx for receiving data; and SG for signal ground.
    A "null modem" adaptor that swaps those two lines in a 9-pin
    D-type passthrough (one male side, one female side) format shouldn't
    set you back more than a couple of quid. Similar for the male-to-male
    (or female-to-female) gender-bender in 9-pin D type. The Garmin serial
    cable will hurt - you won't get much change out of 20. Damned
    proprietary standards.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  6. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    Everybody thanks a lot for you info, unfortunatly my knowlidge is not
    wide enough to solve the problem, therefor following questions:
    1. Psion has a PSIWIN Link cable, this end in a SUB D serial connector.
    When you connect your psion to a desktop, or portable computer, you
    need this cable, so assume that this cable works with this twisted
    cable system (like crossed)?
    2. What would happen, i mean, will I damage my psion or gps receiever
    if I would connect them with this PSIWIN Link Cable?
    3. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

    I really appreciate your advice.

    Note: Today I connected the GPS first time to my portable via USB. This
    is a **** system, whit all respect, it took me long time to convince my
    computer that it was not a serial device, and the cd of HAICOM, is not
    really that great. Why no installation pack?
    Anyway, I have connection in mappoint 2004, so I believe the device is
    working.
    If you have any adivice, or other nice tools to use with the gps,
    please let me know. I work under WIN 2K

    Thanks a lot.

  7. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    For a Psion 3a to connect to a GPS... You need the 3Link serial cable (the
    cable that has the bulged electronic pod in the middle of it). You also need
    a null modem adapter and a serial GPS. Your done.

    Richard

    "syrus666" wrote in message
    news:1132611140.693802.165290@g44g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > Everybody thanks a lot for you info, unfortunatly my knowlidge is not
    > wide enough to solve the problem, therefor following questions:
    > 1. Psion has a PSIWIN Link cable, this end in a SUB D serial connector.
    > When you connect your psion to a desktop, or portable computer, you
    > need this cable, so assume that this cable works with this twisted
    > cable system (like crossed)?
    > 2. What would happen, i mean, will I damage my psion or gps receiever
    > if I would connect them with this PSIWIN Link Cable?
    > 3. If you have any other suggestions, please let me know.
    >
    > I really appreciate your advice.
    >
    > Note: Today I connected the GPS first time to my portable via USB. This
    > is a **** system, whit all respect, it took me long time to convince my
    > computer that it was not a serial device, and the cd of HAICOM, is not
    > really that great. Why no installation pack?
    > Anyway, I have connection in mappoint 2004, so I believe the device is
    > working.
    > If you have any adivice, or other nice tools to use with the gps,
    > please let me know. I work under WIN 2K
    >
    > Thanks a lot.

  8. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    In article <1132611140.693802.165290@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    Syrus666 wrote:
    > 2. What would happen, i mean, will I damage my psion or gps receiever
    > if I would connect them with this PSIWIN Link Cable?

    Almost certainly not.
    The published specs for RS-232 (the commonest electrical for
    simple, low speed serial communications) includes voltages of UP TO
    24V. So any RS-232 conforming device should be able to handle incoming
    voltages of up to that level, even if they only produce 3 or 6 V
    themselves. Most RS-232 devices are pretty robust against mis-wiring.
    Certainly they should be able to handle a missing null modem, because
    this is a very common requirement that users misunderstand and fail to
    supply (or equivalently, supply 2 of).

    You've not told us (in this group at least) what make and model of
    GPS you're using, nor where you are. Given that information, and that
    there are enough people here familiar with your Psion, we should be able
    to come up with a shopping list suitable to your location.

    > Note: Today I connected the GPS first time to my portable via USB. This
    > is a **** system, whit all respect, it took me long time to convince my
    > computer that it was not a serial device,

    Sounds like you're using a USB-to-serial adaptor (which your
    computer is, correctly, seeing as a serial device). Your computer then
    has to see "through" the USB-to-serial adaptor to identify the GPS on the
    other side. I could see this taking several re-boots, but I don't have
    practical experience of it myself.

    > and the cd of HAICOM, is not
    > really that great. Why no installation pack?

    I'm not sure if this is the GPS or the (purported) USB-to-serial
    device? Anyway, it's not a Psion.
    A lot of (most?) laptops these days have no serial ports built in,
    which is a big loss because it is still a very important protocol,
    particularly in industrial and laboratory equipment.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: +57d10' , -02d09' (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233
    Written at Tue, 22 Nov 2005 03:35 GMT

  9. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    Thanks again for the respons,
    however, now I'm getting two different explanations.
    One person tells me to use the psiwin-link cable and nullmodem,
    another tells me to only use the nullmodem.

    Maybe this will help.
    As told before, I use a HAICOM 204E GPS RECEIVER.
    (and I bought an extra cable, convertor USB to RS232)

    This is the pin layout of the gps connector:

    PS/2 Connector
    Color Function CN1
    Green TX 5
    White RX 4
    Red VCC 2
    Black GND 1

    Now, my psion provides direct a RS232 connection. (I think)
    And th psiwin-link cable is just the transfer to a SUB D connector. (I
    think)

    If your can connect a computer (serial) via this cable direct to the
    psion serial connector,
    than i would say I can do the same with the gps receiver serial
    connector. (of course after an adaptor from PS2 to SUB D)

    Could somebody tell me more about this nullmodem? Is this a straight
    adaptor, or crossed?

    Current situation:
    PSIOn RS232 -> PSIWIN-LINK CABLE -> COMPUTER RS232

    IDEA???
    PSION RS232 -> PSIWIN-LINK CABLE -> ADAPTOR -> GPS HAICOM RS232

    And with this adaptor I mean, straight connetion.

  10. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    I use with my 3a with the Psion link cable (soap on a rope), a null modem
    adapter and a garmin 60c GPS.... This works flawlessly.

    Richard

    "syrus666" wrote in message
    news:1132667598.663358.134130@z14g2000cwz.googlegr oups.com...
    > Thanks again for the respons,
    > however, now I'm getting two different explanations.
    > One person tells me to use the psiwin-link cable and nullmodem,
    > another tells me to only use the nullmodem.
    >
    > Maybe this will help.
    > As told before, I use a HAICOM 204E GPS RECEIVER.
    > (and I bought an extra cable, convertor USB to RS232)
    >
    > This is the pin layout of the gps connector:
    >
    > PS/2 Connector
    > Color Function CN1
    > Green TX 5
    > White RX 4
    > Red VCC 2
    > Black GND 1
    >

    > Now, my psion provides direct a RS232 connection. (I think)
    > And th psiwin-link cable is just the transfer to a SUB D connector. (I
    > think)
    >
    > If your can connect a computer (serial) via this cable direct to the
    > psion serial connector,
    > than i would say I can do the same with the gps receiver serial
    > connector. (of course after an adaptor from PS2 to SUB D)
    >
    > Could somebody tell me more about this nullmodem? Is this a straight
    > adaptor, or crossed?
    >

    > Current situation:
    > PSIOn RS232 -> PSIWIN-LINK CABLE -> COMPUTER RS232
    >
    > IDEA???
    > PSION RS232 -> PSIWIN-LINK CABLE -> ADAPTOR -> GPS HAICOM RS232
    >
    > And with this adaptor I mean, straight connetion.

  11. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    Hi Richard,

    This nullmodem is just a crossed serial cable, right?
    And what software do you use? Can you share it?

    Thanks a lot!

  12. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    syrus666 wrote:
    > Now, my psion provides direct a RS232 connection. (I think)

    No, unfortunately it doesn't. The later Psions have RS232 built in but not
    the 3A. All the advice over 10+ years is that it would be a major project to
    convert to anything similar to RS232, even with no handshaking like a GPS.

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  13. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    > This nullmodem is just a crossed serial cable, right?
    > And what software do you use? Can you share it?

    The null modem switches the Tx and Rx pins so the device i.e. modem can talk
    to the psion. If you didn't use a null modem adapter your GPS will transmit
    signals to your Psion's transmit pin instead of the Psion's receive pin.This
    means both devices are trying to transmit and receive on the same pins. You
    don't need to worry about the details of the null modem, just connect it to
    you link cable and plug the other end into your GPS. I wrote my own GPS
    software... Real Maps by (I believe) Kevin Millican (sorry if I have
    misspelled his name) will work with GPS input. There are a few other
    examples of GPS software for the 3a, however, not too many, unfortunately...

    Richard

    "syrus666" wrote in message
    news:1132695752.463466.99310@g44g2000cwa.googlegro ups.com...
    > Hi Richard,
    >
    > Thanks a lot!

  14. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    Sorry guys, last time :-)

    This is what I have:
    Psion 3a (Rs232 connection possibility)
    Psion 3 Link cable (to connect psion to serial port of computer)
    Haicom GPS 204E Ps/2 serial connection
    Haicom Ps/2 to USB convertor

    As I understand correct.
    I connect the 3 Link cable to my Psion.
    I connect to the 3 Link cable the null modem
    I connect the null modem to the serial connector (via adaptor PS/2 to
    SUB D 9)

    And this should work?

    And please, where can I download that Real maps thing, any URL's,
    because Psion websites are starting to be difficult to find.

    Thanks for all your advices.

  15. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    syrus666 wrote:

    > Sorry guys, last time :-)
    >
    > This is what I have:
    > Psion 3a (Rs232 connection possibility)
    > Psion 3 Link cable (to connect psion to serial port of computer)
    > Haicom GPS 204E Ps/2 serial connection
    > Haicom Ps/2 to USB convertor
    >
    > As I understand correct.
    > I connect the 3 Link cable to my Psion.
    > I connect to the 3 Link cable the null modem
    > I connect the null modem to the serial connector (via adaptor PS/2 to
    > SUB D 9)
    >
    > And this should work?

    Yes - see my post in the other NG. But you'll still have to sort out the
    power for the GPS.
    --
    Cheers,
    Set Square

  16. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    Thx for your answers in the other NG.
    Now I'm just looking for the VCC voltage to supply the gps.
    Following website gives the details, unfortunatly no voltage.
    Any suggestions? http://www.haicom.com.tw/gps204E.shtml

  17. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    syrus666 wrote:

    > Thx for your answers in the other NG.
    > Now I'm just looking for the VCC voltage to supply the gps.
    > Following website gives the details, unfortunatly no voltage.
    > Any suggestions? http://www.haicom.com.tw/gps204E.shtml

    The spec says: Input voltage - 3.3V DC +/-100mV 3.8V ~ 12.0V

    which I (rightly or wrongly!) interpret to mean that it can accept voltages
    of anything between 3.8v and 12v, and regulates it to the required 3.3 +/-
    0.1 volts.

    It also says: Current consumption - 90 ~ 110mA

    --
    Cheers,
    Set Square

  18. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    As told a bit earlier, I have ordered the null modem cable, and the
    cable to convert PS/2 to SUB D 9 connector.
    I will keep you all informed, I expect the cables to be delivered next
    monday.

    Hopefully, if the convert cable (PS/2 to SUB D9) is original, it will
    have the extra connection to connect the power supply for the GPS.

  19. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    syrus666 wrote:
    > And please, where can I download that Real maps thing, any URL's,
    > because Psion websites are starting to be difficult to find.

    RealMaps is or was at http://www.kevin.millican.net/ There is also a
    (vector based) mapping product for UK, France and Ireland (I think).

    BTW there is a type of mouse which has a plug that fits the 3A 3Link pod; I
    have used just the cable to make a connection without needed a null-modem
    cable and perhaps 9-pin plugs.

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  20. Re: psion 3a to serial gps

    In article <1132780256.788040.292610@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    Syrus666 wrote:
    > Hopefully, if the convert cable (PS/2 to SUB D9) is original, it will

    ^^^^^^^^^ Big word that. I hadn't noticed that there was another
    change in form factor in there too (damn Garmin for getting people to
    accept unusual connectors on their GPSs!). I can't tell you off-hand if
    the PS2 connector is wired up in a "normal" manner, but I can tell you
    that you've got *another* possible pitfall there to catch you and make
    your life troublesome.
    Well, *if* your cable is an original manufacture for the GPS,
    then they should be able to get the pinout correct. Personally, by this
    point I'd be looking through my box of parts for the appropriate
    physical connectors and getting out my soldering iron ...

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: +57d10' , -02d09' (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233
    Written at Thu, 24 Nov 2005 07:43 GMT

+ Reply to Thread