Mobile Phone photos to Psion 5 via IR? - Scion

This is a discussion on Mobile Phone photos to Psion 5 via IR? - Scion ; I have just acquired a Sony-Ericsson K300i mobile (cell) phone which has a built-in camera. I would like to print the photos on my PC without having to email them to myself. The phone has an IR port, through which ...

  1. Mobile Phone photos to Psion 5 via IR?

    I have just acquired a Sony-Ericsson K300i mobile (cell) phone which has a
    built-in camera. I would like to print the photos on my PC without having to
    email them to myself.

    The phone has an IR port, through which it can 'send' photos. I don't have a
    PC with IR, but I *do* have a Psion 5.

    Is there any way in which I can capture a jpeg file from the phone on the
    Psion 5 - using IR - and then send it on to a computer, using PSIWin?

    I have tried without success, so far. When I set the Psion up to receive
    over IR, the camera tries to send but can't handshake with it. I suspect
    that the Psion is using a proprietary protocol which only allows it to
    communicate with other Psions.

    Can anyone shed any light on this, and suggest any solutions.

    TIA.
    --
    Cheers,
    Set Square

  2. Re: Mobile Phone photos to Psion 5 via IR?

    On Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:08 PM [GMT+1=CET],
    Set Square wrote:
    > Is there any way in which I can capture a jpeg file from the phone on
    > the Psion 5 - using IR - ...

    Google or (better) http://clusty.com/ for:
    "plBeam" or "cBeam" (both free)
    Jack

  3. Re: Mobile Phone photos to Psion 5 via IR?

    J <00@SPAM.NOT> wrote:

    > On Tuesday, November 15, 2005 8:08 PM [GMT+1=CET],
    > Set Square wrote:
    >> Is there any way in which I can capture a jpeg file from the phone on
    >> the Psion 5 - using IR - ...

    > Google or (better) http://clusty.com/ for:
    > "plBeam" or "cBeam" (both free)
    > Jack

    Many thanks. Are you sure that plBeam works with a basic Series 5? [Many of
    the references seem to suggest that you need a 5 MX]
    --
    Cheers,
    Set Square

  4. Re: Mobile Phone photos to Psion 5 via IR?

    - And on Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:08:44 -0000, it was spake thus <3tuq1qFu5a9qU1@individual.net> said in message "Set Square" :

    > I have just acquired a Sony-Ericsson K300i mobile (cell) phone which has a
    > built-in camera. I would like to print the photos on my PC without having to
    > email them to myself.
    >
    > The phone has an IR port, through which it can 'send' photos. I don't have a
    > PC with IR, but I *do* have a Psion 5.
    >
    > Is there any way in which I can capture a jpeg file from the phone on the
    > Psion 5 - using IR - and then send it on to a computer, using PSIWin?
    >
    > I have tried without success, so far. When I set the Psion up to receive
    > over IR, the camera tries to send but can't handshake with it. I suspect
    > that the Psion is using a proprietary protocol which only allows it to
    > communicate with other Psions.
    >
    > Can anyone shed any light on this, and suggest any solutions.
    >
    > TIA.

    I know it takes the Psion out, but have a look at
    http://computers.search.ebay.co.uk/d...chiZQQsaprcloZ
    or
    http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...rclo=&saprchi=
    --
    Nick in Northallerton
    Also @ www.whelan.me.uk

  5. Re: Mobile Phone photos to Psion 5 via IR?

    Nick wrote:

    > - And on Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:08:44 -0000, it was spake thus
    > <3tuq1qFu5a9qU1@individual.net> said in message "Set Square"
    > :
    >
    >> I have just acquired a Sony-Ericsson K300i mobile (cell) phone which
    >> has a built-in camera. I would like to print the photos on my PC
    >> without having to email them to myself.
    >>
    >> The phone has an IR port, through which it can 'send' photos. I
    >> don't have a PC with IR, but I *do* have a Psion 5.
    >>
    >> Is there any way in which I can capture a jpeg file from the phone
    >> on the Psion 5 - using IR - and then send it on to a computer, using
    >> PSIWin?
    >>
    >> I have tried without success, so far. When I set the Psion up to
    >> receive over IR, the camera tries to send but can't handshake with
    >> it. I suspect that the Psion is using a proprietary protocol which
    >> only allows it to communicate with other Psions.
    >>
    >> Can anyone shed any light on this, and suggest any solutions.
    >>
    >> TIA.

    > I know it takes the Psion out, but have a look at

    http://computers.search.ebay.co.uk/d...chiZQQsaprcloZ
    > or

    http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...rclo=&saprchi=

    Thanks. I had already (since first posting) come to the conclusion that
    something like this would be the best solution - and I have a similar one on
    order.
    --
    Cheers,
    Set Square

  6. Re: Mobile Phone photos to Psion 5 via IR?

    In news:3u19b4Fupdr9U1@individual.net,
    Set Square typed:
    > In an earlier contribution to this discussion,
    > Nick wrote:
    >
    >> - And on Tue, 15 Nov 2005 19:08:44 -0000, it was spake thus
    >> <3tuq1qFu5a9qU1@individual.net> said in message "Set Square"
    >> :
    >>
    >>> I have just acquired a Sony-Ericsson K300i mobile (cell) phone which
    >>> has a built-in camera. I would like to print the photos on my PC
    >>> without having to email them to myself.
    >>>
    >>> The phone has an IR port, through which it can 'send' photos. I
    >>> don't have a PC with IR, but I *do* have a Psion 5.
    >>>
    >>> Is there any way in which I can capture a jpeg file from the phone
    >>> on the Psion 5 - using IR - and then send it on to a computer, using
    >>> PSIWin?
    >>>
    >>> I have tried without success, so far. When I set the Psion up to
    >>> receive over IR, the camera tries to send but can't handshake with
    >>> it. I suspect that the Psion is using a proprietary protocol which
    >>> only allows it to communicate with other Psions.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone shed any light on this, and suggest any solutions.
    >>>
    >>> TIA.

    >> I know it takes the Psion out, but have a look at
    >>

    > http://computers.search.ebay.co.uk/d...chiZQQsaprcloZ

    > http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sear...rclo=&saprchi=
    >

    > Thanks. I had already (since first posting) come to the conclusion
    > that something like this would be the best solution - and I have a
    > similar one on order.

    What about using the PCMIA slot X a CFholder

  7. Re: Mobile Phone photos to Psion 5 via IR?

    J <00@SPAM.NOT> wrote:

    >> Thanks. I had already (since first posting) come to the conclusion
    >> that something like this would be the best solution - and I have a
    >> similar one on order.

    > What about using the PCMIA slot X a CFholder

    I'm not sure what you're suggesting. How does that enable the phone to talk
    to the Psion? The phone doesn't have a CF card.
    --
    Cheers,
    Set Square

  8. Re: Mobile Phone photos to Psion 5 via IR?

    >> What about using the PCMIA slot X a CFholder

    > I'm not sure what you're suggesting. How does that enable the phone
    > to talk to the Psion? The phone doesn't have a CF card.

    Usually a digitalphone uses a memory card whereone can (un)load his
    files
    Psionists prefer phone and camera using cheap CF card like our beloved
    psion
    no need for hazardous / distant connections

  9. Re: Mobile Phone photos to Psion 5 via IR?

    J <00@SPAM.NOT> wrote:

    >>> What about using the PCMIA slot X a CFholder

    >> I'm not sure what you're suggesting. How does that enable the phone
    >> to talk to the Psion? The phone doesn't have a CF card.

    > Usually a digitalphone uses a memory card whereone can (un)load his
    > files
    > Psionists prefer phone and camera using cheap CF card like our beloved
    > psion
    > no need for hazardous / distant connections

    Ah, well my phone as 12MB of built-in memory - but no removeable memory
    cards - so that approach won't work.

    But I *have* found an IrDa to USB adaptor - so can now connect the phone
    directly to my computer without needing to use the Psion.
    --
    Cheers,
    Set Square