Psion 5MX - compatible CF cards - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 5MX - compatible CF cards - Scion ; Your advice please. I need to buy a large compact flash card for my 5MX. Will the 256Mb and 512 Mb CF cards from Viking or SANDisk being sold on Amazon be compatible with my 5MX and work quickly and ...

  1. Psion 5MX - compatible CF cards

    Your advice please.

    I need to buy a large compact flash card for my 5MX. Will the 256Mb and 512
    Mb CF cards from Viking or SANDisk being sold on Amazon be compatible with
    my 5MX and work quickly and relaibly as my 16Mb Psion card?

    Grateful for your recommendations please.

    Is there anything to choose between these two badges? Would you recommend a
    different badge?

    --
    Rob Barnett
    Classical Editor, MusicWeb International

  2. Re: Psion 5MX - compatible CF cards

    Rob Barnett wrote:
    > Your advice please.
    >
    > I need to buy a large compact flash card for my 5MX. Will the 256Mb and 512
    > Mb CF cards from Viking or SANDisk being sold on Amazon be compatible with
    > my 5MX and work quickly and relaibly as my 16Mb Psion card?
    >
    > Grateful for your recommendations please.

    I got a 1GB Kingston CF card since it was recommended on
    http://www.psionwelt.de/buchtipps/index.htm
    It works fine in my 5MX Pro but I couldn't boot from it, ie. the 5MX Pro
    doesn't load the sys$rom.bin when I put it on the card. But since I have
    another smaller CF card which is bootable that is no problem.

    > Is there anything to choose between these two badges? Would you recommend a
    > different badge?

    I once read that highspeed CF card are not faster in Psions, but use
    less electrical power, ie. the batteries last longer.

    Good luck,

    André

  3. Re: Psion 5MX - compatible CF cards

    "Rob Barnett" writes:

    > Your advice please.
    >
    > I need to buy a large compact flash card for my 5MX. Will the 256Mb and 512
    > Mb CF cards from Viking or SANDisk being sold on Amazon be compatible with
    > my 5MX and work quickly and relaibly as my 16Mb Psion card?
    >
    > Grateful for your recommendations please.

    I recently bought a 256Mb Sandisk CF card, which works absolutely fine
    in my 5mx-s (I have two). Very cheap from Comet in the UK.

    David

    --

    David Sumbler

    Please reply with a followup to the newsgroup.

    However, if you _really_ want to send me an e-mail,
    replace "nospam" in my address with "aeolia".

  4. Re: Psion 5MX - compatible CF cards

    Many thanks for your answers

    --
    Rob Barnett
    Classical Editor, MusicWeb International
    www.musicweb.uk.net
    Editor, British Music Society Newsletter

  5. Re: Psion 5MX - compatible CF cards

    FYI, I've been using Sandisk 512MB in both my netbook and 5mx with no
    problems.

    Keith

  6. Re: Psion 5MX - compatible CF cards

    thanks Keith

    --
    "ohsix" wrote in message
    news:1130773127.890887.243090@g47g2000cwa.googlegr oups.com...
    > FYI, I've been using Sandisk 512MB in both my netbook and 5mx with no
    > problems.
    >
    > Keith

  7. Re: Psion 5MX - compatible CF cards

    David Sumbler wrote:
    > "Rob Barnett" writes:
    >

    >>Your advice please.
    >>
    >>I need to buy a large compact flash card for my 5MX. Will the 256Mb and 512
    >>Mb CF cards from Viking or SANDisk being sold on Amazon be compatible with
    >>my 5MX and work quickly and relaibly as my 16Mb Psion card?
    >>
    >>Grateful for your recommendations please.

    > I recently bought a 256Mb Sandisk CF card, which works absolutely fine
    > in my 5mx-s (I have two). Very cheap from Comet in the UK.
    >
    > David

    I just tried a 2GB CF card - no problems. Intereseting because the
    manual says that only 128MB are suportet. It's a 80x type made by Team
    (Taiwan). Source: easy2save.de - they have an office in Berlin where you
    can try and buy different cards up to 8GB.

    Mario

  8. Re: Psion 5MX - compatible CF cards

    In article , Mario Meyer wrote:
    > I just tried a 2GB CF card - no problems. Intereseting because the

    Isn't there a limit on FAT-16 file systems at 2 GB?
    Does that crack things?
    That's a point - one that I may pursue in a couple of hours -
    how does a Psion handle CFs partitioned into several partitions?

    --
    Aidan Karley, FGS
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  9. Re: Psion 5MX - compatible CF cards

    In article , Rob
    Barnett wrote:

    > Your advice please.
    >
    > I need to buy a large compact flash card for my 5MX. Will the 256Mb and 512
    > Mb CF cards from Viking or SANDisk being sold on Amazon be compatible with
    > my 5MX and work quickly and relaibly as my 16Mb Psion card?

    I have a SimpleTech CF card that works just fine. It's a 128 meg card.

    Scott

  10. Re: Psion 5MX - compatible CF cards

    Hi,

    I've got a Kingston Technology 2 GigaByte card in my 5mx.
    Certainly it was expensive but I have no storage problem on
    my 5mx now.

    But Psions are notoriously picky about CF cards. If you can,
    check first (try http://www.pscience5.net, Martin lists several
    CF cards there). Better still, don't pay until you've tried it!

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "Time wounds all heels."

    http://aypee1.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/

  11. Re: Psion 5MX - compatible CF cards

    Phil Aypee wrote:

    > I've got a Kingston Technology 2 GigaByte card in my 5mx.

    I've tried a Kingston, too, but the data gets corrupt every now
    and then. Replaced it by a SanDisk - same again. Then tried a
    GreenStorage (Toshiba) - no more problems.

    IOW: Keep your backups up to date (at least for the first six
    months)!

    [...]
    > But Psions are notoriously picky about CF cards.

    Yep. ((

    Greets, Dirk
    --
    "You never know what is enough until you know what is too much."
    William Blake, nicely 200 years ago

+ Reply to Thread