Re: Palm OS is moving to Windows mobile? - Scion

This is a discussion on Re: Palm OS is moving to Windows mobile? - Scion ; Captain's log. On StarDate Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:49:25 GMT received comm from Guy Bannis on channel alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot: : In article , Bart Wakker : wrote: : : > Joe Pfeiffer writes: : > : > > I'll agree as ...

  1. Re: Palm OS is moving to Windows mobile?

    Captain's log. On StarDate Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:49:25 GMT received comm from Guy
    Bannis on channel alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot:

    : In article , Bart Wakker
    : wrote:
    :
    : > Joe Pfeiffer writes:
    : >
    : > > I'll agree as far as the PDA-like functions. But when I want a
    : > > computer, I want a computer... and it runs Linux, not Windows.
    : > >
    : > > Looks like I need to hope the Linux PDA efforts make a lot of progress
    : > > before I next need a phone.
    : >
    : > At least there still is symbian, such as the SE 910.
    : > It is not as good as PalmOS, but for a smartphone it isn't bad.
    :
    : I'm not sure it's not as good. There has been less development for it,
    : but it's powerful and the most efficient combo of phone and PDA today.
    :
    : It's amazing how little the phone makers who are part of the Symbian
    : alliance have done with Symbian!

    I personally wouldn't be too surprised if Nokia did a "Palm Source" -- ie
    killing off the current OS (Symbian in the case of Nokia) and port the GUI to
    run on Linux instead. I wouldn't like to have too much stock in Symbian these
    days (ie be some of the other phone companies who has invested in Symbian).

    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download

  2. Re: Palm OS is moving to Windows mobile?

    Den 2005-10-19 18:47:31 skrev Martin T :

    > Captain's log. On StarDate Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:49:25 GMT received comm
    > from Guy
    > Bannis on channel alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot:

    > : It's amazing how little the phone makers who are part of the Symbian
    > : alliance have done with Symbian!

    What do you feel they should they have done and haven't? I hear they've
    recently added clients for Blackberry and MS Exchange.

    Erik Sandblom

    --
    my site is EriksRailNews.com

  3. Re: Palm OS is moving to Windows mobile?

    Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 27 Oct 2005 12:40:17 +0200 received comm from
    "Erik Sandblom" on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:

    : Den 2005-10-19 18:47:31 skrev Martin T :
    :
    : > Captain's log. On StarDate Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:49:25 GMT received comm
    : > from Guy
    : > Bannis on channel alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot:
    :
    : > : It's amazing how little the phone makers who are part of the Symbian
    : > : alliance have done with Symbian!

    : What do you feel they should they have done and haven't? I hear they've
    : recently added clients for Blackberry and MS Exchange.

    I can't speak for Guy Bannis (who actually made the statement you reference to),
    but personally I think splitting up the OS in too many different and
    incompatible releases is what killed (or maybe will kill) Symbian. This is not
    good for developers who want to easily support all Symbian OS devices with their
    applications.

    Also, splitting up the GUI i different versions, some with the UIQ user
    interface, something own, and Nokia with it's totally different "Series XX" GUI
    hasn't helped Symbian OS, but rather divided up the community. Another thing in
    addition is the gap in support and compatibility with old Psion Symbian devices
    and newer Symbian OS phones, hasn't benefited neither community or developers.

    That all Symbian OS devices (Psion, Sony Ericsson, Nokia, Siemens) has different
    synch software doesn't help to align and support the devices more easy for IT
    departments (who generally hate to have to support too many different types of
    applications, as it's very costly to work with testing, deployment and also
    support software packages).

    IMHO all these type of different incompatibilities is something that they really
    should have done totally differently. This was their absolute #1 mistake.

    martin

    martin

    --
    Martin Törnsten - http://martin.tornsten.com/

    Usenet Zone Free Binaries Usenet Server
    More than 140,000 groups
    Unlimited download

  4. Re: Palm OS is moving to Windows mobile?

    Den 2005-11-05 12:47:52 skrev Martin T :

    > I think splitting up the OS in too many different and
    > incompatible releases is what killed (or maybe will kill) Symbian.

    I thought that too but I don't think it's correct. It's just the user
    interface which is different, not the whole OS, and that's because there
    are so many different kinds of devices.

    If you look at Microsoft, all they support is a touchscreen. With Symbian,
    you have the touchscreen a la Microsoft and SonyEricsson P900, as well as
    the Nokia Communicator with keyboard but no touchscreen (series 80), and
    the simpler series 60 for ordinary phones with neither QWERTY keyboard or
    touchscreen.

    Any application you write will have to know what device the program is
    running on, so the division into different device types is not a bad thing.
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/devices/

    So in fact I think this is all *less* confusing and divisive than the
    Linux alternative, since there doesn't seem to be an agreed standard for
    how to approach these different device classes. Which means more work for
    developers.

    Erik Sandblom

    --
    my site is EriksRailNews.com

  5. Re: Palm OS is moving to Windows mobile?

    Captain's log. On StarDate Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:29:15 +0100 received comm from
    "Erik Sandblom" on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:

    : Den 2005-11-05 12:47:52 skrev Martin T :
    :
    : > I think splitting up the OS in too many different and
    : > incompatible releases is what killed (or maybe will kill) Symbian.
    :
    :
    : I thought that too but I don't think it's correct. It's just the user
    : interface which is different, not the whole OS, and that's because there
    : are so many different kinds of devices.

    OK, and me to you "What do you feel they should they have done and haven't"?

    : If you look at Microsoft, all they support is a touchscreen. With Symbian,

    False.

    : you have the touchscreen a la Microsoft and SonyEricsson P900, as well as
    : the Nokia Communicator with keyboard but no touchscreen (series 80), and
    : the simpler series 60 for ordinary phones with neither QWERTY keyboard or
    : touchscreen.

    My Windows Mobile device (Qtek 8010) doesn't have any pen. Just keyboard like a
    normal phone.

    There has also been some QWERTy versions of WM Smartphone (no pen), and Motorola
    will launch a new next year:
    http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro...0,,113,00.html

    : Any application you write will have to know what device the program is
    : running on, so the division into different device types is not a bad thing.

    I agree it's only great to have several type of devices to choose from. To not
    have compatible applications isn't a good think IMHO.

    I also think this is the biggest miss also for Microsoft. Win CE apps isn't
    compatible with Windows Mobile, and Windows Mobile versions, Pocket PC and
    SmartPhone, isn't compatible with each other. That sucks IMHO, but not as much
    as the Symbian case (who is much more split, not only in different releases for
    Nokia, but also all other manufactures).

    : So in fact I think this is all *less* confusing and divisive than the
    : Linux alternative, since there doesn't seem to be an agreed standard for
    : how to approach these different device classes. Which means more work for
    : developers.

    I agree that Linux is probably (or perhaps will be when it gets more popular)
    even worse than Symbian (and Microsoft), but will perhaps benefit from being
    open source (making up for the problems with incompatibilities).

    martin