Windows Vista - Scion

This is a discussion on Windows Vista - Scion ; I see that before settling on "Windows Vista", Microsoft considered calling it Sapphire or Emerald (yet not Quartz or Crystal, oddly ;-) http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...25_194536.html Personally I think 'Windows LZ' and 'Windows LZ64' (for the 64-bit version) would have been the logical ...

  1. Windows Vista

    I see that before settling on "Windows Vista", Microsoft considered
    calling it Sapphire or Emerald (yet not Quartz or Crystal, oddly ;-)

    http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews...25_194536.html

    Personally I think 'Windows LZ' and 'Windows LZ64' (for the 64-bit
    version) would have been the logical choice...

  2. Re: Windows Vista

    Hi Slim,

    I don't mean to cause offence (though I might cause it) but what
    relevance has this in a Psion group?

    If there were some comment on how PsiWin works on these OSs
    or the physical problems connecting a Psion to machines running
    these OSs then I'd understand. The URL you gave links to a site
    that seems to be commercial and I found no reference to Psions
    there. I know that the TUCOWS archive of Psion software appears
    under the Windoze label but it actually has very little to do
    with any Micros**t product.

    And why Protea? The other "Aetorp/proteA" guy is a Psion
    aficionado. Are you related to him?

    Take care,
    Phil.

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  3. Re: Windows Vista

    Phil Aypee wrote:
    > Hi Slim,
    >
    > I don't mean to cause offence (though I might cause it) but what
    > relevance has this in a Psion group?

    Probably the connection is with the Psion prototype handheld formats
    (Quartz and Crystal for landscape and portrait), and LZ being an
    Organiser II model...

    Very tenuous though!

    Stuart

  4. Re: Windows Vista

    Can any one tell me how many bugs this next version of the will carry
    with it, as its bad enough having to use the software, let alone being
    beta testers for the all the crudding versions.

    All I would advise here is Linux ten years from now, amazing hey

  5. Re: Windows Vista

    Bioeddie wrote:
    > Can any one tell me how many bugs this next version of the will carry
    > with it, as its bad enough having to use the software, let alone being
    > beta testers for the all the crudding versions.
    >
    > All I would advise here is Linux ten years from now, amazing hey

    Or eComStation now

    www.ecomstation.com

    Stuart

  6. Re: Windows Vista

    Captain's log. On StarDate Tue, 02 Aug 2005 19:45:34 +0200 received comm from
    Stuart Gray on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:

    : Bioeddie wrote:
    : > Can any one tell me how many bugs this next version of the will carry
    : > with it, as its bad enough having to use the software, let alone being
    : > beta testers for the all the crudding versions.
    : >
    : > All I would advise here is Linux ten years from now, amazing hey
    : >
    : Or eComStation now
    :
    : www.ecomstation.com
    :
    : Stuart

    Linux has bugs. ECS has bugs. All new releases has more or less bugs.

    If your happy with your current OS it's no rush to upgrade to either VISTA,
    Linux or ECS. The older (and more proven) releases will continue to work for
    some while. In time the new releases has become tested, updated and more bug
    free.

    Also, if bugs are unacceptable, don't run betas (any kind). Just a small tip.

    Best regards,

    martin

    --
    http://martin.tornsten.com/

  7. Re: Windows Vista

    Martin Törnsten wrote:

    > Linux has bugs. ECS has bugs. All new releases has more or less bugs.

    Agreed. But Windows has the most bugs of all.... or are they features?
    Actually, in terms of security flaws, Linux and eCS have virtually
    none (which is why many banks use OS/2, which is the basis of eCS).
    Flaws in cross-platform browsers or web servers affect all platforms,
    but IIS and IE (Windows only) has more than the rest (put together?)

    > If your happy with your current OS it's no rush to upgrade to either VISTA,
    > Linux or ECS. The older (and more proven) releases will continue to work for
    > some while. In time the new releases has become tested, updated and more bug
    > free.
    >
    > Also, if bugs are unacceptable, don't run betas (any kind). Just a small tip.

    Well, that stuffs all releases of Windows prior to the third Service
    Pack!

    > Best regards,
    >
    > martin

    Stuart

  8. Re: Windows Vista

    Captain's log. On StarDate Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:54:31 +0200 received comm from
    Stuart Gray on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:

    : Martin Törnsten wrote:
    :
    : >
    : > Linux has bugs. ECS has bugs. All new releases has more or less bugs.
    :
    : Agreed. But Windows has the most bugs of all....

    No.

    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ecurity17.html

    : or are they features?

    No.

    : Actually, in terms of security flaws, Linux and eCS have virtually
    : none (which is why many banks use OS/2, which is the basis of eCS).

    Totally taken from your own imaginative fantasy world.

    http://www.windowsitpro.com/windowsp...ott_44398.html

    : Flaws in cross-platform browsers or web servers affect all platforms,
    : but IIS and IE (Windows only) has more than the rest (put together?)

    No.

    : Well, that stuffs all releases of Windows prior to the third Service
    : Pack!

    I see that your no fan of Windows, but you do a terribly poor advocacy flame.

    martin

    --
    http://martin.tornsten.com/

  9. Re: [OT]Windows Vista

    Martin Törnsten wrote:
    > Captain's log. On StarDate Wed, 03 Aug 2005 10:54:31 +0200 received comm from
    > Stuart Gray on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:
    >
    > : Martin Törnsten wrote:
    > :
    > : >
    > : > Linux has bugs. ECS has bugs. All new releases has more or less bugs.
    > :
    > : Agreed. But Windows has the most bugs of all....
    >
    > No.
    >
    > http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...ecurity17.html
    >
    > : or are they features?
    >
    > No.
    >
    > : Actually, in terms of security flaws, Linux and eCS have virtually
    > : none (which is why many banks use OS/2, which is the basis of eCS).
    >
    > Totally taken from your own imaginative fantasy world.
    >
    > http://www.windowsitpro.com/windowsp...ott_44398.html
    >
    > : Flaws in cross-platform browsers or web servers affect all platforms,
    > : but IIS and IE (Windows only) has more than the rest (put together?)
    >
    > No.
    >
    > : Well, that stuffs all releases of Windows prior to the third Service
    > : Pack!
    >
    > I see that your no fan of Windows, but you do a terribly poor advocacy flame.
    >
    > martin

    OK, my bad, totally OT for a Psion newsgroup. In my experience: bad
    times with Windows, good times with OS/2-eCS, hardly any time with
    Linux, YMMV, EOD! (note smiley)

    Back on-topic: loved every Psion I have owned: 3, 3a, 3c, 3mx, 5, 5mx,
    5mxPro- still my no.1 workhorse. Disliked both WinCE machines I owned.
    YMMV

    Stuart

  10. Re: Windows Vista

    ok here an article on the subject
    " The most secure aspect of Windows XP's networking lies in the
    built-in software firewall. Unfortunately, though, that firewall can
    prevent some Microsoft online services, particularly Windows Update and
    even XP Professional's Remote Assistance tool, from working properly.
    We prefer a third-party product such as ZoneAlarm or Norton Internet
    Security."

    Now thats what i call a good microsoft aspect, it stops its self from
    work properly, sounds good to me, as nobody would need to use the crud.

  11. Re: [OT]Windows Vista

    Captain's log. On StarDate Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:03:16 +0200 received comm from
    Stuart Gray on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:

    : Back on-topic: loved every Psion I have owned: 3, 3a, 3c, 3mx, 5, 5mx,
    : 5mxPro- still my no.1 workhorse. Disliked both WinCE machines I owned.
    : YMMV

    Owned several Psion Series 3 (the best series in many regards) and 3a machines.
    Also owned one HP Jornada 680 and 720. Currently I don't use any them (except
    the 680 who is the only machine still working perfectly, but not used daily).

    Currently I use a Windows Mobile smartphone (Qtek 8010), who actually is based
    on the WinCE core. It works very well, except that I do miss having a build in
    keyboard. I have thought about adding a small bluetooth keyboard, but it would
    still not be the same thing as having it build in (like the Psion and Jornada).

    What really works much better than any of Psion palmtops or my Nokia phones has,
    is the syncing with my outlook calendar (which is even more important today).

    The next time I will probably look for a phone with a small, but build in
    keyboard (like the Psion Sienna used to have).

    Motorola has a new interesting one called 'Q' who i scheduled for 2006 Q1 (but
    when it comes to Moto you shouldn't hold your breath too long).

    Do you still use your Psion(s) daily, or something other?

    What type of devices do you look forward to?

    Do you also miss build in keyboard (like classic Psion and HP palmtops)?

    Best regards,

    martin

    --
    http://martin.tornsten.com/

  12. Re: Using PDAs (was: [OT]Windows Vista)

    Martin Törnsten wrote:
    > Captain's log. On StarDate Wed, 03 Aug 2005 21:03:16 +0200 received comm from
    > Stuart Gray on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:
    >
    > : Back on-topic: loved every Psion I have owned: 3, 3a, 3c, 3mx, 5, 5mx,
    > : 5mxPro- still my no.1 workhorse. Disliked both WinCE machines I owned.
    > : YMMV
    >
    > Owned several Psion Series 3 (the best series in many regards) and 3a machines.
    > Also owned one HP Jornada 680 and 720. Currently I don't use any them (except
    > the 680 who is the only machine still working perfectly, but not used daily).

    I had a 680, the best bit of which was being able to add a WiFi card.
    USed it to remotely administer our network and send emails. I found the
    touchscreen was unreliable, and there were two serious wear patches on
    the top left of the screen (where the Patience deck is displayed)

    > Currently I use a Windows Mobile smartphone (Qtek 8010), who actually is based
    > on the WinCE core. It works very well, except that I do miss having a build in
    > keyboard. I have thought about adding a small bluetooth keyboard, but it would
    > still not be the same thing as having it build in (like the Psion and Jornada).
    >
    > What really works much better than any of Psion palmtops or my Nokia phones has,
    > is the syncing with my outlook calendar (which is even more important today).

    Yes, I can see the attraction.

    > The next time I will probably look for a phone with a small, but build in
    > keyboard (like the Psion Sienna used to have).

    OOhh, I had one of those too - lovely dinky little thing!

    > Motorola has a new interesting one called 'Q' who i scheduled for 2006 Q1 (but
    > when it comes to Moto you shouldn't hold your breath too long).
    >
    > Do you still use your Psion(s) daily, or something other?

    Yes, a 5mx Pro: it's my alarm clock, game, ideas grabbing machine (I
    even use the dictaphone function) and of course diary.

    > What type of devices do you look forward to?

    A 5mx with WiFi and bluetooth (for connecting to a mobile phone). That
    would be my ideal machine - powerful, fantastic keyboard, and can browse
    the web/send emails wherever I am.

    > Do you also miss build in keyboard (like classic Psion and HP palmtops)?

    Absolutley!

    > Best regards,
    >
    > martin

    Cheers,
    Stuart

  13. Re: Windows Vista

    On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 21:22:21 +0100, Stuart Gray
    wrote:

    > Phil Aypee wrote:
    > Probably the connection is with the Psion prototype handheld formats
    > (Quartz and Crystal for landscape and portrait), and LZ being an
    > Organiser II model...

    Sapphire and Emerald were also two of the original EPOC DFRDs, before the
    list was condensed into Quartz, Crystal and Pearl.

+ Reply to Thread