5Mx Stylus will not lock - Scion

This is a discussion on 5Mx Stylus will not lock - Scion ; Could someone point me to a URL that deals with a 5mx stylus that will not lock place. Believe that this is a known problem G...

  1. 5Mx Stylus will not lock

    Could someone point me to a URL that deals with a 5mx stylus that will not
    lock place.

    Believe that this is a known problem

  2. Re: 5Mx Stylus will not lock

    "Gandalf" wrote in message
    > Could someone point me to a URL that deals with a 5mx stylus that will not
    > lock place.
    >
    > Believe that this is a known problem

    It usually gets stuck. gently (and at your own risk) prise the two parts of
    the case mouldings slightly apart (near the synch socket air) on the back of
    the machine- listen for a click as the squirrel resets itself.

    If the squirrel (the piece of plastic that holds the stylus) is broken it's
    an expensive repair for a small bit of plastic as parts aren't sold
    separately.

  3. Re: 5Mx Stylus will not lock

    Alan Smith wrote:
    > "Gandalf" wrote in message
    >
    >>Could someone point me to a URL that deals with a 5mx stylus that will not
    >>lock place.
    >>
    >>Believe that this is a known problem

    > It usually gets stuck. gently (and at your own risk) prise the two parts of
    > the case mouldings slightly apart (near the synch socket air) on the back of
    > the machine- listen for a click as the squirrel resets itself.

    To clarify: open the serial port cover and the cover to the backup
    battery. With the Psion face down, using a fingernail between the case
    halves underneath the serial port gently pull the base of the Psion
    upwards. After about 0.5mm you should hear a definite click. I have,
    however, had to resort to using a penknife blade between the case parts
    and carefully separate and push to get the click. I must say though
    that I have previously opened a series 5 with a broken plastic piece, so
    I know the internal layout! Be warned that you can break something!

    > If the squirrel (the piece of plastic that holds the stylus) is broken it's
    > an expensive repair for a small bit of plastic as parts aren't sold
    > separately.

  4. Re: 5Mx Stylus will not lock

    Hi,

    In the 5mx manual there are instructions: page 187.
    --

    Take care,
    Phil.

    http:\\www.philaypee.co.uk\index.html

  5. Re: 5Mx Stylus will not lock

    "Phil Aypee" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > In the 5mx manual there are instructions: page 187.
    > --
    >
    > Take care,
    > Phil.
    >
    > http:\\www.philaypee.co.uk\index.html

    Paul here from psionflexi.co.uk

    I fix/replace these on a regular basis and would NOT recommend the 'shove
    something under the connector' approach! It is much easier and safer to
    actually remove the bottom cover - examine, reseat and test the catch with
    it removed (it is attached to the bottom cover). I get many people who have
    attempted this fix and all I find is a whole pile of plastic bits and a
    broken catch inside their machine!

    It is a simple matter to remove the bottom cover - just 3 screws. If you
    look at my web site under the 'fitting & opening' section you will see full
    disassembly instructions - just follow the first few pictures.

    If the worst comes to the worst and the catch is broken then I can supply
    new ones complete with spring for 8UKP - just order via the web site.

    Hope that helps

    Paul

  6. Re: 5Mx Stylus will not lock

    Thanks - done. The finger nail was sufficient in this case.

    OK hands up, but it is years since I read the manual.

    "Phil Aypee" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > In the 5mx manual there are instructions: page 187.
    > --
    >
    > Take care,
    > Phil.
    >
    > http:\\www.philaypee.co.uk\index.html

  7. Re: 5Mx Stylus will not lock

    Hi Alan
    No please give explanations to what it is, because all I can observe at
    the moment is someone trying to make past allusions, but, looking like
    a troubled person.

    Best regards
    Eddie
    Bioeddie.co.uk

  8. Re: 5Mx Stylus will not lock

    Hi Alan,

    I believe Paul is the only source of these, and other, parts
    rather than full service/repair. 8 ukp may *seem* dear but it
    isn't. I doubt that Paul makes enough out of Psion repairs/bits
    for a decent bottle of wine a day, even a week. He certainly
    won't if he keeps giving out free advice on how to do things
    without using his services.

    He's hardly ripping anybody off so why snipe at him? It's
    neither nice nor necessary. I have, and use, Psions and I'm glad
    that Paulís services are available. I hope they will still be
    available when I need them.

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "Death is better,
    a milder fate than tyranny."

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  9. Re: 5Mx Stylus will not lock

    It's not sniping. It is saying that plastic is not normally as expensive as
    Gold or Platinum.It *is* a very high price for what it is.

    I have never said don't buy it if you find it worthwhile. It just doesn't
    seem a price that is related to what the item is. Tell me that it is plastic
    around tempered spring steel so it is stronger than the original item, that
    they have been 100% x-rayed for flow issues during moulding, anything- but
    no, it's a small bit of plastic. How many small bits of plastic go into
    retractable biros? If they charged that price you'd be questioning the
    price.

    "Phil Aypee" wrote in message
    > Hi Alan,
    >
    > I believe Paul is the only source of these, and other, parts
    > rather than full service/repair. 8 ukp may *seem* dear but it
    > isn't. I doubt that Paul makes enough out of Psion repairs/bits
    > for a decent bottle of wine a day, even a week. He certainly
    > won't if he keeps giving out free advice on how to do things
    > without using his services.
    >
    > He's hardly ripping anybody off so why snipe at him? It's
    > neither nice nor necessary. I have, and use, Psions and I'm glad
    > that Paul's services are available. I hope they will still be
    > available when I need them.
    >
    > Take care,
    > Phil.
    >
    > "Death is better,
    > a milder fate than tyranny."
    >
    > http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  10. Re: 5Mx Stylus will not lock

    Hi Alan,

    I'm afraid it's not a high price at all in reality.

    Paul probably doesn't make the things, he buys them. The cost of
    making little bits of plastic reliably and by the tens of
    thousands are indeed trivial per unit. Selling prices for the
    same little bits of plastic may not be trivial. To buy several
    hundred (probably the minimum) for stock will cost that plus the
    interest on the capital tied up. Additionally there is the cost
    of posting them, itself not trivial, though administration
    otherwise may be low. Add to that a profit margin and
    appropriate taxes.

    If Paul sold 20 each weekday (very unlikely don't you think) at
    a profit of 2 ukp each then his gross profit would be 200 ukp.
    Deduct from that his various taxes and he might afford a good
    bottle of wine every other day on his income from those little
    bits of plastic - maybe.

    Incidentally, ball points (and Biros) are made by the million
    and you can't even buy replacement little bits of plastic for
    them. An economic price for one would be too high, far too high.

    Plastic *is* expensive unless sold in bulk, often very expensive.

  11. Re: 5Mx Stylus will not lock

    "Phil Aypee" wrote in message
    > Hi Alan,
    >
    > I'm afraid it's not a high price at all in reality.
    >
    > Paul probably doesn't make the things, he buys them. The cost of
    > making little bits of plastic reliably and by the tens of
    > thousands are indeed trivial per unit. Selling prices for the
    > same little bits of plastic may not be trivial. To buy several
    > hundred (probably the minimum) for stock will cost that plus the
    > interest on the capital tied up. Additionally there is the cost
    > of posting them, itself not trivial, though administration
    > otherwise may be low. Add to that a profit margin and
    > appropriate taxes.
    >
    > If Paul sold 20 each weekday (very unlikely don't you think) at
    > a profit of 2 ukp each then his gross profit would be 200 ukp.
    > Deduct from that his various taxes and he might afford a good
    > bottle of wine every other day on his income from those little
    > bits of plastic - maybe.
    >
    > Incidentally, ball points (and Biros) are made by the million
    > and you can't even buy replacement little bits of plastic for
    > them. An economic price for one would be too high, far too high.
    >
    > Plastic *is* expensive unless sold in bulk, often very expensive.

    Hello All! Trying to refrain from replying but feel I have to now!! By the
    way thanks Phil for the support!

    Plastic injection mouldings in GRP (which is what the clips are) fall in to
    a category very similar to the flexi's where the engineering and tooling
    charges (known as NRE) dominate the material costs. For the case of the
    catches you are talking of NRE costs of approx 5000UKP with a material cost
    of about 10p. So you are correct with your 'it is only plastic' assumption
    and the plastic cost is very low. However, now amortise the NRE across an
    MOQ batch of say, 1000 (would I ever really sell that many?). You know find
    the unit cost is 5.10UKP. Also bear in mind that most tooling is 'lifed'
    and the cost rises again. Now add, postage of the items, VAT, my costs, my
    postage, profit etc and I am lucky if I can buy the cork for the bottle of
    wine!!

    In fact, I have recently been thinking of increasing the price of the
    items!! As far as I know, I am the only person to sell these so please
    don't complain otherwise I will keep them all for me!!

    Hope that helps to explain

    Paul

  12. Re: 5Mx Stylus will not lock

    Hi Paul,

    If you sold 20 little bits of plastic every working day *could*
    you afford a bottle of wine, or more, a week (if it's sensitive
    commercial information don't worry - I don't need to know)?

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "O Moon, when I gaze on thy beautiful face,
    Careering along through the boundaries of space.
    The thought has often come into my mind
    If I shall ever see thy glorious behind."

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/index.html

  13. Re: 5Mx Stylus will not lock

    "Phil Aypee" wrote in message
    > Hi Paul,
    >
    > If you sold 20 little bits of plastic every working day *could*
    > you afford a bottle of wine, or more, a week (if it's sensitive
    > commercial information don't worry - I don't need to know)?
    >
    > Take care,
    > Phil.

    Given the price of wine nowadays in Tesco's and the like - yes! The chances
    of selling 20 a day.......much less than yes!!

    Paul

+ Reply to Thread