Slightly OT: Palm Woes - Scion

This is a discussion on Slightly OT: Palm Woes - Scion ; This was originally posted to the (EPOC) Digest: I have learned a lot over the last 48 hours about the so-called simplicity of the Palm platform. Having upgraded my Tungsten T5 (replacement for years of Psion use) to v1.1 firmware ...

  1. Slightly OT: Palm Woes

    This was originally posted to the (EPOC) Digest:

    I have learned a lot over the last 48 hours about the so-called
    simplicity of the Palm platform. Having upgraded my Tungsten T5
    (replacement for years of Psion use) to v1.1 firmware I found that
    various applications just failed to work or went back to unregistered
    state. Admittedly I do make a rod for my own back by trying to sync the
    machine to a work Wintel box and a home Mac (but not yet Mactel) box.
    When I tried to use the Mac to restore things it just installed a much
    earlier configuration of the system with apps that had long been
    deleted. In the end it required a hard reset with all the associated
    data loss to sort out.

    Thankfully I am obsessive about backups so I also run an application to
    copy internal data to SD card. This was invaluable in sorting out my
    most important data i.e Agenda and Contacts equivalents.

    The thing that struck me most, as it always does, is that the single
    biggest failing of the Palm OS is the fuzzy space that contains user
    files and system files. There is no clear organisation of files within
    internal memory and while this may have worked in the mid-90's the
    system is now so much more complicated, with Datebook enhancement,
    office apps and alternative launchers etc. I have restored my data but
    odd things happened such as duplicate entries and changed category
    settings.

    I am now left with a degree of uncertainty about the integrity of my
    data and this is something that would NEVER have happened on a Psion,
    where user land was always separate from the system. In those 10+ years
    of Psion use I was able to maintain an Agenda file through changes of
    hardware from a 3a through to a netBook and associated OS build changes
    on that machine. I don't regret moving from Psion for a minute because,
    for users only interested in a PDA, the platform has no future. It does
    make me think that Palm desperately needs to make a technology leap
    forward in their moves to either Cobalt or Linux. Now where can I buy a
    Zarus?

    Cheers,

    Steve

    --
    Email: steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  2. Re: Slightly OT: Palm Woes

    Captain's log. On StarDate 27 Jun 2005 12:25:45 +0100 received comm from Steve
    Hodgson on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:

    : This was originally posted to the (EPOC) Digest:
    :
    : I have learned a lot over the last 48 hours about the so-called
    : simplicity of the Palm platform. Having upgraded my Tungsten T5
    : (replacement for years of Psion use) to v1.1 firmware I found that
    : various applications just failed to work or went back to unregistered

    [ snip on specific palmos problems and thoughts about it's future ]

    : for users only interested in a PDA, the platform has no future. It does
    : make me think that Palm desperately needs to make a technology leap
    : forward in their moves to either Cobalt or Linux. Now where can I buy a

    I personally think that PalmOS is more or less doomed, and that the future will
    belong to Symbian, Windows Mobile and Linux. My personal guess is that even Palm
    knows this and will probably adapt the future products and strategies to this
    scenario.

    martin

    --
    http://martin.tornsten.com/

  3. Re: Slightly OT: Palm Woes

    Martin Törnsten wrote:
    > Captain's log. On StarDate 27 Jun 2005 12:25:45 +0100 received comm from Steve
    > Hodgson on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:
    >
    > : This was originally posted to the (EPOC) Digest:
    > :
    > : I have learned a lot over the last 48 hours about the so-called
    > : simplicity of the Palm platform. Having upgraded my Tungsten T5
    > : (replacement for years of Psion use) to v1.1 firmware I found that
    > : various applications just failed to work or went back to unregistered
    >
    > [ snip on specific palmos problems and thoughts about it's future ]
    >
    > : for users only interested in a PDA, the platform has no future. It does
    > : make me think that Palm desperately needs to make a technology leap
    > : forward in their moves to either Cobalt or Linux. Now where can I buy a
    >
    > I personally think that PalmOS is more or less doomed, and that the future will
    > belong to Symbian, Windows Mobile and Linux. My personal guess is that even Palm
    > knows this and will probably adapt the future products and strategies to this
    > scenario.
    >
    > martin

    Why has no-one thought tp put Symbian into a non-mobile unit? Like a
    Nokia 9-whatever, but without the phone part? Presumably the 5mx Pro
    won't accept the OS (I was hoping that POS Ltd's PsiXPda might have
    this, but no...)

    Ah well, I can dream!

    Stuart

  4. Re: Slightly OT: Palm Woes

    Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 07 Jul 2005 23:31:13 +0200 received comm from
    Stuart Gray on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:

    : Why has no-one thought tp put Symbian into a non-mobile unit? Like a
    : Nokia 9-whatever, but without the phone part? Presumably the 5mx Pro
    : won't accept the OS (I was hoping that POS Ltd's PsiXPda might have
    : this, but no...)
    :
    : Ah well, I can dream!

    Why not have the phone part included as well?

    I think it's great that they integrate a mobile phone part in all handheld
    today. If you still want to use a separate smaller phone you still have a good
    build in data connection (GPRS or 3G) when your out of WiFi hot spots.

    martin

    --
    http://martin.tornsten.com/

  5. Re: Slightly OT: Palm Woes

    Martin Törnsten wrote:
    > Captain's log. On StarDate Thu, 07 Jul 2005 23:31:13 +0200 received comm from
    > Stuart Gray on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:
    >
    > : Why has no-one thought tp put Symbian into a non-mobile unit? Like a
    > : Nokia 9-whatever, but without the phone part? Presumably the 5mx Pro
    > : won't accept the OS (I was hoping that POS Ltd's PsiXPda might have
    > : this, but no...)
    > :
    > : Ah well, I can dream!
    >
    > Why not have the phone part included as well?
    >
    > I think it's great that they integrate a mobile phone part in all handheld
    > today. If you still want to use a separate smaller phone you still have a good
    > build in data connection (GPRS or 3G) when your out of WiFi hot spots.
    >
    > martin

    Additional cost for one, and also the need for the PDA part to comply
    fully with the more stringent regulations required for phones. For
    example, the limited ability for installing new software apps on the
    such hybrids. Also, I object to too much functionality tied up in one
    device

    Stuart

  6. Re: Slightly OT: Palm Woes

    Captain's log. On StarDate Sat, 09 Jul 2005 16:41:38 +0200 received comm from
    Stuart Gray on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:

    : Additional cost for one, and also the need for the PDA part to comply

    Looking at the prices of new handheld with and without GSM their is indeed a
    significant difference in price, but this seems to get smaller and smaller, and
    over time I think it probably will become less significant (the chips for the
    cellular radio parts seems to become low price commodity just like many volume
    chip sets in computers).

    : fully with the more stringent regulations required for phones. For
    : example, the limited ability for installing new software apps on the

    I have a smart phone (with Windows Mobile) and can install whatever applications
    I want totally unrestricted. No, I didn't need to patch it (it was sold this way
    by my operator).

    : such hybrids. Also, I object to too much functionality tied up in one
    : device

    Some may today consider different types of network connections as "extra", but
    in a not too distant future (if not already today) I think it will be a basic
    mandatory feature you expect to just have in all type of devices.

    martin

    --
    http://martin.tornsten.com/

+ Reply to Thread