Need LAT/LON converter psion - Scion

This is a discussion on Need LAT/LON converter psion - Scion ; Hi, I have an question. An Eagle Eye alarmsystem sends me his positions by sms in LAT/LON Hddd,mm,mmmm.and LAT/LON Hddd.ddddd. I have an Psion 5 mx that i use for programming the Eagle Eye. It has a programm called "TOMTOM ...

  1. Need LAT/LON converter psion

    Hi,

    I have an question.
    An Eagle Eye alarmsystem sends me his positions by sms in LAT/LON
    Hddd,mm,mmmm.and LAT/LON Hddd.ddddd.
    I have an Psion 5 mx that i use for programming the Eagle Eye. It has a
    programm called "TOMTOM ROUTEPLANNER" that can only deal with LAT/LON
    positions in LAT/LON Hddd.mm.ss.

    Does anyone know if there is an converter or Is it posible to make an
    converter from LAT/LON Hddd,mm,mmmm.and LAT/LON Hddd.ddddd. to LAT/LON
    Hddd.mm.ss.?

    Best would be if its written in EPOC but if its in Excel it would do
    also.

    All information is welcome,

    Regards and thanks

    Martijn

  2. Re: Need LAT/LON converter psion

    On 13 Jun 2005 00:13:28 -0700, P800_fun@hotmail.com wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have an question.
    >An Eagle Eye alarmsystem sends me his positions by sms in LAT/LON
    >Hddd,mm,mmmm.and LAT/LON Hddd.ddddd.
    >I have an Psion 5 mx that i use for programming the Eagle Eye. It has a
    >programm called "TOMTOM ROUTEPLANNER" that can only deal with LAT/LON
    >positions in LAT/LON Hddd.mm.ss.
    >
    >Does anyone know if there is an converter or Is it posible to make an
    >converter from LAT/LON Hddd,mm,mmmm.and LAT/LON Hddd.ddddd. to LAT/LON
    >Hddd.mm.ss.?
    >
    >Best would be if its written in EPOC but if its in Excel it would do
    >also.
    >
    >All information is welcome,
    >
    >Regards and thanks
    >
    >Martijn

    I don't know whether the "H" is always an "H" or something else; the
    following example preserves whatever the first character is. I've laid it
    out in more steps than I would probably use for ease of reading. It
    _SEEMS_ to cope with rounding as _I_ would expect you to want it to (if the
    seconds are 59.5 or more, this bums the minutes and/or degrees values).

    proc test:
    print convert$ "H123.50000" ) REM "H123.30.00."
    print convert$ "H123.16666" ) REM "H123.10.00."
    print convert$ "H123.99999" ) REM "H124.00.00."
    endp

    proc Convert$ in$ )
    local out$( 255 ), temp, deg%, min%, sec%

    temp = val( mid$( in$, 2, 255 ) ) REM get "ddd.ddddd"
    deg% = temp + 0.5 / 3600 REM get whole degrees
    temp = temp - deg% REM fractional degrees
    temp = temp * 60 REM get "mm.mmmmm"
    min% = temp + 0.5 / 60 REM get whole minutes
    temp = temp - min% REM fractional minutes
    temp = temp * 60 REM get "ss.sssss"
    sec% = temp + 0.5 REM get whole seconds

    out$ = left$( in$, 1 ) REM copy 1st character
    out$ = out$ + right$( "00" + num$( deg%, 3 ), 3 ) + "."
    out$ = out$ + right$( "0" + num$( min%, 2 ), 2 ) + "."
    out$ = out$ + right$( "0" + num$( sec%, 2 ), 2 ) + "."

    REM above lines format deg/min/sec with zero-padding.

    return out$
    endp

    Regards,

  3. Re: Need LAT/LON converter psion

    In article <1118646808.080436.233090@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups. com>,
    wrote:
    > in LAT/LON
    > Hddd,mm,mmmm.and LAT/LON Hddd.ddddd.

    Your terminology seems a little confusing.
    I don't see what the H is for, oh yes I do, Hemisphere. But do
    you mean N/S and E/W, or +/- as is normal. And by the first one you mean
    3 digits for the number of degrees, 2 for the number of minutes, but the
    number of whole seconds should be 2, plus however many digits for the
    fractional part of the seconds.

    > It has a
    > programm called "TOMTOM ROUTEPLANNER" that can only deal with LAT/LON
    > positions in LAT/LON Hddd.mm.ss.

    From what I've seen, the normal convention for inter-program
    transfer of locations is Hddd.ddddd (occasionally 6 decimal places for
    fine work, very occasionally 7 or 8 places).

    > Does anyone know if there is an converter or Is it posible to make an
    > converter from LAT/LON Hddd,mm,mmmm.and LAT/LON Hddd.ddddd. to LAT/LON
    > Hddd.mm.ss.?

    The conversion is quite simple mathematically. I'll describe it
    for "Sheet", because I don't know how to program for EPOC (and I can't
    justify the time to learn).
    - In cell F4, enter your coordinate in degrees, including as many
    decimal points as you want. (I set this field to 5 decimal places, but
    that doesn't matter.)
    - In cell G2, enter "=TRUNC(F4)" This gives you the degrees part.
    - In cell G3, "=TRUNC(60*(F4-G2))" This gives you the minutes part.
    - In cell G4, "=3600*(F4-(G2+G3/60)) for the seconds part.

    I must admit, I'd got the ddd mm ss.ssss -> ddd.ddddd converter
    ready-written, and had to throw together the reverse conversion, but
    it's not difficult.
    Ditch the N/S E/W description of the quadrant ; very few people
    have to deal with readings that move between quadrants, and those that
    do ought to be mathematically sophisticated enough to handle negative
    numbers. If they're not sufficiently sophisticated and they crash their
    plane into a mountain ... just think of it as evolution in action.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  4. Re: Need LAT/LON converter psion

    In article , Graham Holden
    wrote:
    > sec% = temp + 0.5 REM get whole seconds

    Is this adequate resolution? 1 second of arc is around 30m at
    the Earth's surface. That might be good enough in a field, but in any
    sort of a complex landscape you'd need higher resolution ("the hole
    beside the gatepost" or "Bloggs Company, at number 42"). At work I have
    to quote locations to 3 decimal places of seconds of arc, when the
    collision sensitivity is about 2.5 decimal places.
    The application quoted in the original post is some sort of
    in-car navigation software, isn't it? Before the burglars had my GPS, I
    figured it was necessary to quote 2 decimal places of seconds of arc to
    get people to a cave entrance. Which normally meant acquiring a
    waypoint to all 5 normal decimals of degrees of arc. In UK cave
    country, being wrong by 15m can leave you walking over a 20m cliff
    quite easily, and I've come damned close to doing that in thick weather
    under map and compass myself. (Which is part of the reason I'm not
    convinced that GPS are safe for people who can't navigate already - too
    easy to become reliant on the instrumentation and not apply regular
    map-sense and ground-safety thinking. But that's really a different
    issue.)

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: +5710' , -0209' (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233
    Written at Mon, 13 Jun 2005 19:31 +0100

  5. Re: Need LAT/LON converter psion

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 20:00:17 +0100, Aidan Karley
    wrote:

    >In article , Graham Holden
    >wrote:
    >> sec% = temp + 0.5 REM get whole seconds
    >>

    > Is this adequate resolution? 1 second of arc is around 30m at
    >the Earth's surface.

    I've no idea... the original format only seemed to want whole seconds, so
    perhaps that's all the next stage can handle. If fractional seconds were
    required (and could be used), then ignoring "sec%" and changing the last
    line that builds out$ to something like:

    out$ = out$ + right$( "0" + fix$( temp, 3, 6 ), 6 )

    for "ss.sss" would be close (I've not tested it; might do funny things with
    the rounding -- might need to add 0.0005 to temp, but fix$ might do the
    rounding already).

    > (Which is part of the reason I'm not
    >convinced that GPS are safe for people who can't navigate already - too
    >easy to become reliant on the instrumentation and not apply regular
    >map-sense and ground-safety thinking. But that's really a different
    >issue.)

    I don't know GPS specifically, but reliance on technology you don't really
    understand is never a good situation to be in. I (just about) remember
    when I was at school and electronic calculators were just becoming
    affordable -- we weren't allowed anywhere near them until we'd proved we
    were good enough at mental arithmetic to know when it (or our fingers) had
    got things wrong!

    Regards,

  6. Re: Need LAT/LON converter psion

    In article , Graham Holden
    wrote:
    > I don't know GPS specifically, but reliance on technology you don't really
    > understand is never a good situation to be in. I (just about) remember
    > when I was at school and electronic calculators were just becoming
    > affordable -- we weren't allowed anywhere near them until we'd proved we
    > were good enough at mental arithmetic to know when it (or our fingers) had
    > got things wrong!

    Very similar myself. Dad wouldn't let me or my sisters use the
    calculator (that he'd got for doing lots of statistics for his BSc night
    school) until we could satisfy him (not the exam board) that we understood
    and were competent with log tables.
    When was the last time you saw a set of log tables? Even in a
    second-hand bookshop?

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: +5710' , -0209' (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233
    Written at Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:19 +0100

  7. Re: Need LAT/LON converter psion

    "Aidan Karley"
    wrote in message
    news:VA.00000755.487a40b0@validemailaddresstoa.new s.group...
    > In article , Graham Holden
    > wrote:
    >> I don't know GPS specifically, but reliance on technology you don't
    >> really
    >> understand is never a good situation to be in. I (just about) remember
    >> when I was at school and electronic calculators were just becoming
    >> affordable -- we weren't allowed anywhere near them until we'd proved we
    >> were good enough at mental arithmetic to know when it (or our fingers)
    >> had
    >> got things wrong!
    >>

    > Very similar myself. Dad wouldn't let me or my sisters use the
    > calculator (that he'd got for doing lots of statistics for his BSc night
    > school) until we could satisfy him (not the exam board) that we understood
    > and were competent with log tables.
    > When was the last time you saw a set of log tables? Even in a
    > second-hand bookshop?
    >
    > --
    > Aidan Karley,

    I have a set of log tables.

    To buy your own set:

  8. Re: Need LAT/LON converter psion

    Alan Smith wrote:
    > "Aidan Karley"
    > wrote in message
    > news:VA.00000755.487a40b0@validemailaddresstoa.new s.group...
    >
    >>In article , Graham Holden
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I don't know GPS specifically, but reliance on technology you don't
    >>>really
    >>>understand is never a good situation to be in. I (just about) remember
    >>>when I was at school and electronic calculators were just becoming
    >>>affordable -- we weren't allowed anywhere near them until we'd proved we
    >>>were good enough at mental arithmetic to know when it (or our fingers)
    >>>had
    >>>got things wrong!
    >>>

    >> Very similar myself. Dad wouldn't let me or my sisters use the
    >>calculator (that he'd got for doing lots of statistics for his BSc night
    >>school) until we could satisfy him (not the exam board) that we understood
    >>and were competent with log tables.
    >> When was the last time you saw a set of log tables? Even in a
    >>second-hand bookshop?
    >>
    >>--
    >>Aidan Karley,

    > I have a set of log tables.
    >
    > To buy your own set:
    > http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...329254-9874827

    I now use a circular slide rule for most Q&D stuff (I just missed out on
    them at school - my brother learnt to use one, but electronic
    calculators were fairly cheap by the time I got there)

    Stuart

  9. Re: Need LAT/LON converter psion

    P800_fun@hotmail.com wrote:
    > An Eagle Eye alarmsystem sends me his positions by sms in LAT/LON
    > Hddd,mm,mmmm.and LAT/LON Hddd.ddddd.

    not sure what the "H" is for (as others may have pointed out).

    normally, the ddd.ddddd nomenclature is a signed number. for latitude, a
    positive number indicates northern hemisphere. For longitude, a negative
    number indicates west of greenwhich.

    > positions in LAT/LON Hddd.mm.ss.

    from ddd.ddddd to ddd.mm.ss is fairly easy.

    there are 60 minutes to a degree, and 60 seconds to a minute.

    dddd.dddddddd is just a floating point number representing degrees.

    so, 25.500000 is 25 degrees 30 minutes 00 seconds.

    Internally, GPS machines generally convert this to an integer number
    (integer number always yield more accurate results for math operations).
    Garmin uses semicircles.

+ Reply to Thread