Re: hardware question - Scion

This is a discussion on Re: hardware question - Scion ; Laurent Herve wrote: > Hi all, > > I just bought a psion series 5 (pretty nice, before i had an hp 200lx), > and wanted to connect to the net ; therefore i bought some additional > item on ...

  1. Re: hardware question

    Laurent Herve wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I just bought a psion series 5 (pretty nice, before i had an hp 200lx),
    > and wanted to connect to the net ; therefore i bought some additional
    > item on ebay, Artikelnummer: 5203747792.
    >
    > It is :
    >
    > Ethernet Adapter 10/100 Base
    >
    > Hpt. Anschluss Kabel (Modem)
    >
    > Gold Card
    >
    > Inst.CD mit Handbuch - Treiber- Zubehor
    >
    > =======================================
    >
    > Can someone tell me if i may or may not put the psion
    > on line with this hardware, because the vendor apparently can't !
    >
    > thanks,
    >

    > laurent

    Hello Laurent,
    the psion modem/network card you bought cannot be used with series
    5(mx), since it has to be plugged into 16-bit PCMCIA slot, which is not
    present on these machines. But it can be used with series 7/netbook. The
    only possibility to get online with series5 is modem or mobile phone
    connected either to serial port or infra red.

    Petr

  2. Re: hardware question

    "Petr" a écrit dans le message de news:
    d8fqsc$2ls$1@news2.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de...
    > Laurent Herve wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I just bought a psion series 5 (pretty nice, before i had an hp 200lx),
    > > and wanted to connect to the net ; therefore i bought some additional
    > > item on ebay, Artikelnummer: 5203747792.
    > >
    > > It is :
    > >
    > > Ethernet Adapter 10/100 Base
    > >
    > > Hpt. Anschluss Kabel (Modem)
    > >
    > > Gold Card
    > >
    > > Inst.CD mit Handbuch - Treiber- Zubehor
    > >
    > > =======================================
    > >
    > > Can someone tell me if i may or may not put the psion
    > > on line with this hardware, because the vendor apparently can't !
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > >

    > > laurent
    > >

    > Hello Laurent,
    > the psion modem/network card you bought cannot be used with series
    > 5(mx), since it has to be plugged into 16-bit PCMCIA slot, which is not
    > present on these machines. But it can be used with series 7/netbook. The
    > only possibility to get online with series5 is modem or mobile phone
    > connected either to serial port or infra red.
    >
    > Petr

    OMG... but the famous ethernet adapter ? it can't help ?

    laurent

  3. Re: hardware question

    "Petr" a écrit dans le message de news:
    d8fqsc$2ls$1@news2.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de...
    > Laurent Herve wrote:
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I just bought a psion series 5 (pretty nice, before i had an hp 200lx),
    > > and wanted to connect to the net ; therefore i bought some additional
    > > item on ebay, Artikelnummer: 5203747792.
    > >
    > > It is :
    > >
    > > Ethernet Adapter 10/100 Base
    > >
    > > Hpt. Anschluss Kabel (Modem)
    > >
    > > Gold Card
    > >
    > > Inst.CD mit Handbuch - Treiber- Zubehor
    > >
    > > =======================================
    > >
    > > Can someone tell me if i may or may not put the psion
    > > on line with this hardware, because the vendor apparently can't !
    > >
    > > thanks,
    > >

    > > laurent
    > >

    > Hello Laurent,
    > the psion modem/network card you bought cannot be used with series
    > 5(mx), since it has to be plugged into 16-bit PCMCIA slot, which is not
    > present on these machines. But it can be used with series 7/netbook. The
    > only possibility to get online with series5 is modem or mobile phone
    > connected either to serial port or infra red.
    >
    > Petr

    Look here :

    http://www.mobiletechreview.com/psion5.htm :

    "The 5mx is web-capable, and includes a mail client and web browser (serious
    web users will want to purchase the Opera web browser which supports frames
    and SSL secure connections). You'll need to buy Psion's spiffy 56k IR Travel
    Modem, a diminutive modem that runs on 2 Alkaline AA batteries and connects
    to the Psion via the infrared port, or their Gold Card PC Card modem and
    adapter. The 56k Travel modem is GSM capable for non-US models."

    The question is : what adapter model, vendor, etc... ?

    laurent

  4. Re: hardware question

    > The question is : what adapter model, vendor, etc... ?

    There is only one, and it is made by Psion.... You may be able to find one
    on eBay.

    Richard

    "Laurent Herve" wrote in message

    > "Petr" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > d8fqsc$2ls$1@news2.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de...
    >> Laurent Herve wrote:
    >> > Hi all,
    >> >
    >> > I just bought a psion series 5 (pretty nice, before i had an hp 200lx),
    >> > and wanted to connect to the net ; therefore i bought some additional
    >> > item on ebay, Artikelnummer: 5203747792.
    >> >
    >> > It is :
    >> >
    >> > Ethernet Adapter 10/100 Base
    >> >
    >> > Hpt. Anschluss Kabel (Modem)
    >> >
    >> > Gold Card
    >> >
    >> > Inst.CD mit Handbuch - Treiber- Zubehor
    >> >
    >> > =======================================
    >> >
    >> > Can someone tell me if i may or may not put the psion
    >> > on line with this hardware, because the vendor apparently can't !
    >> >
    >> > thanks,
    >> >

    >> > laurent
    >> >

    >> Hello Laurent,
    >> the psion modem/network card you bought cannot be used with series
    >> 5(mx), since it has to be plugged into 16-bit PCMCIA slot, which is not
    >> present on these machines. But it can be used with series 7/netbook. The
    >> only possibility to get online with series5 is modem or mobile phone
    >> connected either to serial port or infra red.
    >>
    >> Petr

    > Look here :
    >
    > http://www.mobiletechreview.com/psion5.htm :
    >

    > "The 5mx is web-capable, and includes a mail client and web browser
    > (serious
    > web users will want to purchase the Opera web browser which supports
    > frames
    > and SSL secure connections). You'll need to buy Psion's spiffy 56k IR
    > Travel
    > Modem, a diminutive modem that runs on 2 Alkaline AA batteries and
    > connects
    > to the Psion via the infrared port, or their Gold Card PC Card modem and
    > adapter. The 56k Travel modem is GSM capable for non-US models."
    >

    > laurent

  5. Re: hardware question

    the adapter (info):
    http://www.pdasupport.com/PsionSeries5pcCardAdapter.htm
    I use the IR Travelmodem with my Revo. Works well, also with Palms and
    PocketPCs. Hard to find.
    Klaus Ernst
    "Laurent Herve" wrote in message

    > "Petr" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > d8fqsc$2ls$1@news2.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de...
    > > Laurent Herve wrote:
    > > > Hi all,
    > > >
    > > > I just bought a psion series 5 (pretty nice, before i had an hp

    200lx),
    > > > and wanted to connect to the net ; therefore i bought some additional
    > > > item on ebay, Artikelnummer: 5203747792.
    > > >
    > > > It is :
    > > >
    > > > Ethernet Adapter 10/100 Base
    > > >
    > > > Hpt. Anschluss Kabel (Modem)
    > > >
    > > > Gold Card
    > > >
    > > > Inst.CD mit Handbuch - Treiber- Zubehor
    > > >
    > > > =======================================
    > > >
    > > > Can someone tell me if i may or may not put the psion
    > > > on line with this hardware, because the vendor apparently can't !
    > > >
    > > > thanks,
    > > >

    > > > laurent
    > > >

    > > Hello Laurent,
    > > the psion modem/network card you bought cannot be used with series
    > > 5(mx), since it has to be plugged into 16-bit PCMCIA slot, which is not
    > > present on these machines. But it can be used with series 7/netbook. The
    > > only possibility to get online with series5 is modem or mobile phone
    > > connected either to serial port or infra red.
    > >
    > > Petr

    > Look here :
    >
    > http://www.mobiletechreview.com/psion5.htm :
    >

    > "The 5mx is web-capable, and includes a mail client and web browser

    (serious
    > web users will want to purchase the Opera web browser which supports

    frames
    > and SSL secure connections). You'll need to buy Psion's spiffy 56k IR

    Travel
    > Modem, a diminutive modem that runs on 2 Alkaline AA batteries and

    connects
    > to the Psion via the infrared port, or their Gold Card PC Card modem and
    > adapter. The 56k Travel modem is GSM capable for non-US models."
    >

    > The question is : what adapter model, vendor, etc... ?
    >
    > laurent

  6. Re: hardware question

    Laurent Herve wrote:
    [...connecting Psion 5 to WWW...]

    > > > Ethernet Adapter 10/100 Base

    [...]

    > to the Psion via the infrared port, or their Gold Card PC Card modem and
    > adapter. The 56k Travel modem is GSM capable for non-US models."
    >

    > The question is : what adapter model, vendor, etc... ?

    You bought an ethernet adapter, this is useless for your psion! You
    need either the Psion Gold Card PC Card modem (which is an ordinary
    PCMCIA-Card) and, in order to connect this card to your psion, the PC
    Card adapter from Psion.
    Or you can use the Psion Travel Modem or a cellphone with infrared
    modem.
    PC Card adapter with PC Card is bulkier and more difficult to find. Go
    for the Travel Modem. Actually this reply is written on a Psion 5MX and
    sent via the Travel Modem.

    --
    Oliver

  7. Re: hardware question

    Ok, thanks all for reply. Will think about it I wonder
    why there are so little PC card modem adaptors on ebay,
    as if it is not used. First choice seems to use the psion with telephones
    or Ir modem .

    laurent

  8. Re: hardware question

    CouldBeFlying wrote:
    > > The question is : what adapter model, vendor, etc... ?
    > >

    > There is only one, and it is made by Psion.... You may be able to find one
    > on eBay.

    Actually, the series 5 , if you have the rioght serial cable adaptor,
    can connect to any modem, and then to any dialup PPP service.

    And modern telephones with serial interfaces will emulate a modem for
    GPRS connections. You just need to know the right AT command
    incantations to turn the handset into a PPP server/modem.

  9. Re: hardware question

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > CouldBeFlying wrote:
    > > > The question is : what adapter model, vendor, etc... ?
    > > >

    > > There is only one, and it is made by Psion.... You may be able to find one
    > > on eBay.

    > Actually, the series 5 , if you have the rioght serial cable adaptor,
    > can connect to any modem, and then to any dialup PPP service.

    You are right. I forgot about this because I thought the OP needed a
    battery powered solution. If that is not the case, your suggestion is
    cheap and reliable if you have the right cable! The one which came with
    your Psion to sync with your PC will do with the help of a null-modem
    adaptor. As said, buying only the adaptor and modem should be dirt
    cheap on ebay.

    --
    Oliver

  10. Re: hardware question

    Laurent Herve wrote:

    > Ok, thanks all for reply. Will think about it I wonder
    > why there are so little PC card modem adaptors on ebay,
    > as if it is not used. First choice seems to use the psion with telephones
    > or Ir modem .

    Hi Laurent,

    an alternative is the Compex irdaNet iRE201
    http://www.cpx.com/proddetail.asp?c=...0Products&e=28
    It can connect an IrDA device to ethernet or a modem. With newer
    firmware revisions you can connect directly to a DSL modem (ie. PPPoE
    support) and beam files to IrDA devices.
    There are also some similar devices eg. by Clarinet:
    http://www.clarinetsys.com/en/products.htm
    I just bought an iRE201 on Ebay since I could not find one new. I did
    not yet manage to get a connection between Psion and iRE201 but there
    are several reports that this is not really difficult. With a Palm
    device it was really easy.

    Bye,

    André

  11. Re: hardware question

    "André Janz" a écrit dans le message de news:
    42bea1de$0$1140$9b4e6d93@newsread4.arcor-online.net...
    > Laurent Herve wrote:
    >
    > > Ok, thanks all for reply. Will think about it I wonder
    > > why there are so little PC card modem adaptors on ebay,
    > > as if it is not used. First choice seems to use the psion with

    telephones
    > > or Ir modem .

    > Hi Laurent,
    >
    > an alternative is the Compex irdaNet iRE201
    > http://www.cpx.com/proddetail.asp?c=...0Products&e=28
    > It can connect an IrDA device to ethernet or a modem. With newer
    > firmware revisions you can connect directly to a DSL modem (ie. PPPoE
    > support) and beam files to IrDA devices.
    > There are also some similar devices eg. by Clarinet:
    > http://www.clarinetsys.com/en/products.htm
    > I just bought an iRE201 on Ebay since I could not find one new. I did
    > not yet manage to get a connection between Psion and iRE201 but there
    > are several reports that this is not really difficult. With a Palm
    > device it was really easy.
    >
    > Bye,
    >
    > André

    Thanks André, let me knw if you manage to connect your psion !
    I have also an HP 200LX but ii cannot do irda, only an old sir
    protocol, so it will probably not work

    laurent

+ Reply to Thread