Data Conversion - Scion

This is a discussion on Data Conversion - Scion ; Not sure if this is considered 'off-topic' for this forum... apologies if you think it is. I've finally, and reluctantly, reached the point of pensioning off my long-serving S5mx. Problem, though: I need to transfer my diary to the new ...

  1. Data Conversion

    Not sure if this is considered 'off-topic' for this forum... apologies
    if you think it is.

    I've finally, and reluctantly, reached the point of pensioning off my
    long-serving S5mx. Problem, though: I need to transfer my diary to the
    new machine, which runs a different operating system. Anyone know how
    to convert the S5 Agenda file to a pocket PC calendar, please? I guess
    I'm looking for some sort of a conversion utility.

    (No, I don't have MS Outlook on my big computer, and PsiWin refuses to
    recognise the Agenda file as something that it can convert to anything
    else. It'll copy, but not convert.)

    Thanks.

    Peter.

  2. Re: Data Conversion

    "Peter" wrote in message

    > Not sure if this is considered 'off-topic' for this forum... apologies
    > if you think it is.
    >
    > I've finally, and reluctantly, reached the point of pensioning off my
    > long-serving S5mx. Problem, though: I need to transfer my diary to the
    > new machine, which runs a different operating system. Anyone know how
    > to convert the S5 Agenda file to a pocket PC calendar, please? I guess
    > I'm looking for some sort of a conversion utility.
    >
    > (No, I don't have MS Outlook on my big computer, and PsiWin refuses to
    > recognise the Agenda file as something that it can convert to anything
    > else. It'll copy, but not convert.)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Peter.

    What application are you using then to sync with your Pokcet PC calendar?
    The easiest way is probably to try to get the Psion data into a CSV format
    which can then be read (possibly) by whatever application you are using to
    sync with you Psion.

    Why do you not have outlook? It should have come with your Pocket PC? As
    with most Mickeysoft products the Pocket PC works best with Outlook (which
    is actually quite good in my view) That would be the easiest way to get
    everything sorted without having to mess around. If you can find another app
    that works with the Psion 5mx and Pocket PC them fine, otherwise CSV is
    probably the way to go.

    Martin

  3. Re: Data Conversion

    In article , Peter wrote:
    > (No, I don't have MS Outlook on my big computer, and PsiWin refuses to
    > recognise the Agenda file as something that it can convert to anything
    > else. It'll copy, but not convert.)

    The only desktop application that I've tried converting Psion
    Agenda to/ from was be synchronising with a Lotus Organiser (IIRC)
    calendar application thingie. And since the Psion stayed in my pocket, I
    dropped the Lotus thing (though I've still got the install CD). Probably
    you could get from the Lotus app to a more recent diary program, and
    then from there onto the
    > pocket PC calendar

    whatever one of those is.
    Whether the process would be worth the effort is a separate
    question.
    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  4. Re: Data Conversion

    "Peter" schreef in bericht

    > Not sure if this is considered 'off-topic' for this forum... apologies
    > if you think it is.
    >
    > I've finally, and reluctantly, reached the point of pensioning off my
    > long-serving S5mx. Problem, though: I need to transfer my diary to the
    > new machine, which runs a different operating system. Anyone know how
    > to convert the S5 Agenda file to a pocket PC calendar, please? I guess
    > I'm looking for some sort of a conversion utility.
    >
    > (No, I don't have MS Outlook on my big computer, and PsiWin refuses to
    > recognise the Agenda file as something that it can convert to anything
    > else. It'll copy, but not convert.)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > Peter.

    With the program vCal from www.freepoc.de you can convert your Psion agenda
    on your Psion into the standard format vCalendar.

    With this program (http://www.cpen.com/Download/extra_a...tions/m7/psion)
    you can then beam that file directly to your Pokke PC. Most decent PDA's
    accept that file right at once and place your meetings in their agenda.

  5. Re: Data Conversion

    On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 21:15:04 +0100, "Martin" wrote:

    >What application are you using then to sync with your Pokcet PC calendar?

    Active Sync.

    >The easiest way is probably to try to get the Psion data into a CSV format
    >which can then be read (possibly) by whatever application you are using to
    >sync with you Psion.

    That's easy? Not to me, it isn't!

    >Why do you not have outlook?

    I have no idea. The CD says that it's installing Outlook, but doesn't:
    it just installs some other stuff. Examination of the CD reveals that
    it doesn't contain Outlook.

    > It should have come with your Pocket PC? As
    >with most Mickeysoft products the Pocket PC works best with Outlook (which
    >is actually quite good in my view)

    I don't have any problem with it (I use it at work), except that I
    simply don't have it!

    FWIW, the new machine is a Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox 720.

    Peter.

  6. Re: Data Conversion

    On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:46:34 GMT, "Dixit"
    wrote:

    >With the program vCal from www.freepoc.de you can convert your Psion agenda
    >on your Psion into the standard format vCalendar.
    >
    >With this program (http://www.cpen.com/Download/extra_a...tions/m7/psion)
    >you can then beam that file directly to your Pokke PC. Most decent PDA's
    >accept that file right at once and place your meetings in their agenda.

    Ah. This looks hopeful. I'll give it a try. Thanks very much.

    Peter.

  7. Re: Data Conversion

    In article <_9Gpe.114313$jN5.6783103@phobos.telenet-ops.be>, Dixit wrote:
    > you can convert your Psion agenda
    > on your Psion into the standard format vCalendar.
    >
    > With this program (http://www.cpen.com/Download/extra_a...tions/m7/psion)
    > you can then beam that file directly to your Pokke PC. Most decent PDA's
    > accept that file right at once and place your meetings in their agenda.

    A /lingua franca/ ? Or Linguer Deutscher?
    Sounds good to me (but it'll still let me type in next week's
    appointment for this Wednesday ).

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: 5710' N, 0209' W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233
    Written at Wed, 08 Jun 2005 22:03 +0100

  8. Re: Data Conversion

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > On Tue, 7 Jun 2005 21:15:04 +0100, "Martin" wrote:
    >

    >>What application are you using then to sync with your Pokcet PC calendar?

    > Active Sync.
    >
    >>The easiest way is probably to try to get the Psion data into a CSV format
    >>which can then be read (possibly) by whatever application you are using to
    >>sync with you Psion.

    > That's easy? Not to me, it isn't!
    >>
    >>Why do you not have outlook?

    > I have no idea. The CD says that it's installing Outlook, but doesn't:
    > it just installs some other stuff. Examination of the CD reveals that
    > it doesn't contain Outlook.
    >
    >> It should have come with your Pocket PC? As
    >>with most Mickeysoft products the Pocket PC works best with Outlook (which
    >>is actually quite good in my view)

    > I don't have any problem with it (I use it at work), except that I
    > simply don't have it!
    >
    > FWIW, the new machine is a Fujitsu Siemens Pocket Loox 720.
    >
    > Peter.

    *All* ppc's come with a copy of Outlook. If yours didn't contact your
    supplier. It is on the compnion CD included with the ppc's.

  9. Re: Data Conversion

    Peter wrote:

    > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:46:34 GMT, "Dixit"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>With the program vCal from www.freepoc.de you can convert your Psion
    >>agenda on your Psion into the standard format vCalendar.
    >>
    >>With this program
    >>(http://www.cpen.com/Download/extra_a...tions/m7/psion) you can then
    >>beam that file directly to your Pokke PC. Most decent PDA's accept that
    >>file right at once and place your meetings in their agenda.
    >>

    > Ah. This looks hopeful. I'll give it a try. Thanks very much.
    >
    > Peter.

    I also try to run vCal, but it terminates with Reason-Code KERN-EXEC and
    Reason Number 3

    Any suggestions?

    --
    jjg

  10. Re: Data Conversion

    On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:53:38 +0100, "Alan Smith"
    wrote:

    >*All* ppc's come with a copy of Outlook. If yours didn't contact your
    >supplier. It is on the compnion CD included with the ppc's.

    This statement appears to be incorrect. There is, as far as I can
    tell, no copy of Outlook on the companion CD that came with my PPC.
    There is also no reason to think that I have less than the
    manufacturer or supplier intended, and therefore no justification for
    contacting them. It's irritating, but I don't see that anything can be
    done about it.

    Peter.

  11. Re: Data Conversion

    "Peter" wrote in message
    > On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:53:38 +0100, "Alan Smith"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>*All* ppc's come with a copy of Outlook. If yours didn't contact your
    >>supplier. It is on the compnion CD included with the ppc's.

    > This statement appears to be incorrect. There is, as far as I can
    > tell, no copy of Outlook on the companion CD that came with my PPC.
    > There is also no reason to think that I have less than the
    > manufacturer or supplier intended, and therefore no justification for
    > contacting them. It's irritating, but I don't see that anything can be
    > done about it.
    >
    > Peter.

    That's your choice. But every current model ppc comes with a copy.

    What make and model of ppc is it? Go to the ppc newsgroup and post your
    model and make and ask the other participants- or I will post for you.

  12. Re: Data Conversion

    "jg" schreef in bericht
    > Peter wrote:
    >
    > > On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 17:46:34 GMT, "Dixit"
    > > wrote:
    > >

    > >>With the program vCal from www.freepoc.de you can convert your Psion
    > >>agenda on your Psion into the standard format vCalendar.
    > >>
    > >>With this program
    > >>(http://www.cpen.com/Download/extra_a...tions/m7/psion) you can then
    > >>beam that file directly to your Pokke PC. Most decent PDA's accept that
    > >>file right at once and place your meetings in their agenda.
    > >>

    > > Ah. This looks hopeful. I'll give it a try. Thanks very much.
    > >
    > > Peter.

    > I also try to run vCal, but it terminates with Reason-Code KERN-EXEC and
    > Reason Number 3
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > --
    > jjg

    Try to make a new Agenda file, by merging all of your old meetings from your
    old file to the new one.
    Then try to export that new file with vCal.
    Sometimes the Agenda file has suffered some slight damage that you will not
    (yet !) notice in your daily use, but it will let crash vCal.

  13. Re: Data Conversion

    "Alan Smith" wrote in message

    > "Peter" wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 22:53:38 +0100, "Alan Smith"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>*All* ppc's come with a copy of Outlook. If yours didn't contact your
    >>>supplier. It is on the compnion CD included with the ppc's.

    >> This statement appears to be incorrect. There is, as far as I can
    >> tell, no copy of Outlook on the companion CD that came with my PPC.
    >> There is also no reason to think that I have less than the
    >> manufacturer or supplier intended, and therefore no justification for
    >> contacting them. It's irritating, but I don't see that anything can be
    >> done about it.
    >>
    >> Peter.

    > That's your choice. But every current model ppc comes with a copy.
    >
    > What make and model of ppc is it? Go to the ppc newsgroup and post your
    > model and make and ask the other participants- or I will post for you.

    Outlook has been provided with my pocket PC and the Windows Smartphone I
    purchased.

    Martin

  14. Re: Data Conversion

    Dixit wrote:

    > "jg" schreef in bericht
    >> Peter wrote:

    >> > Ah. This looks hopeful. I'll give it a try. Thanks very much.
    >> >
    >> > Peter.

    >> I also try to run vCal, but it terminates with Reason-Code KERN-EXEC and
    >> Reason Number 3
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> --
    >> jjg

    > Try to make a new Agenda file, by merging all of your old meetings from
    > your old file to the new one.
    > Then try to export that new file with vCal.
    > Sometimes the Agenda file has suffered some slight damage that you will
    > not (yet !) notice in your daily use, but it will let crash vCal.

    Thanks, that worked. In fact, the bad entry was also copied, but this time
    vCal ended with "field too long", and I could find out the date (from the
    last partially completed entry in the output file). I went to that date,
    found a funny entry, which I deleted, and Bingo!

    Thanks again for the tip,

    --
    jjg

+ Reply to Thread