Nostalgic day - Scion

This is a discussion on Nostalgic day - Scion ; Today I was down cleaning up in the basement. Among other things I throw away a box with all my old beloved Psion Series 3/3a. The problem is that they all was broken in some way. I think it was ...

  1. Nostalgic day

    Today I was down cleaning up in the basement. Among other things I throw away a
    box with all my old beloved Psion Series 3/3a. The problem is that they all was
    broken in some way. I think it was four of them. I really loved my Psion's, but
    the quality wasn't always the best.

    martin törnsten

    --
    http://martin.tornsten.com/

  2. Re: Nostalgic day

    Martin Törnsten wrote:
    > Today I was down cleaning up in the basement. Among other things I
    > throw away a box with all my old beloved Psion Series 3/3a. The
    > problem is that they all was broken in some way. I think it was four
    > of them. I really loved my Psion's, but the quality wasn't always the
    > best.

    If broken in different ways there might have been enough to make one working
    machine!

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  3. Re: Nostalgic day

    Mike Coon wrote:

    > Martin Törnsten wrote:
    >> Today I was down cleaning up in the basement. Among other things I
    >> throw away a box with all my old beloved Psion Series 3/3a. The
    >> problem is that they all was broken in some way. I think it was four
    >> of them. I really loved my Psion's, but the quality wasn't always the
    >> best.

    > If broken in different ways there might have been enough to make one
    > working machine!
    >
    > Mike.

    Sure! With a few broken Psion S3c S3mx S5 and Revo I have been able to fix
    most of them. I just lost one device of each type (well... two Series
    5...).

    One or two die, all the others survive

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  4. Re: Nostalgic day

    Martin Törnsten wrote:

    > Today I was down cleaning up in the basement. Among other things I throw
    > away a box with all my old beloved Psion Series 3/3a. The problem is that
    > they all was broken in some way. I think it was four of them. I really
    > loved my Psion's, but the quality wasn't always the best.
    >
    > martin törnsten

    The S3 are so solid. Sure, you would have been able to build at least one
    working one with other spare parts.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  5. Re: Nostalgic day

    Martin Törnsten wrote:
    > Today I was down cleaning up in the basement. Among other things I
    > throw away a box with all my old beloved Psion Series 3/3a. The
    > problem is that they all was broken in some way. I think it was four
    > of them. I really loved my Psion's, but the quality wasn't always the
    > best.
    >
    > martin törnsten

    Synchronicity. Just yesterday I was cleaning the office (sort of) and out
    went my trusty Siena. Its still in the waste basket, it not having been
    emptied yet.

    The Siena never actually died, but the case was severely war damaged after
    years of daily use and abuse, held together by adhesive tape This was the
    first PDA I considered small enough that I could be bothered to carry it
    around, and carry it I did. It was my first Psion and me carrying it around
    and showing people led to the sales of several 3's as people were amazed at
    the software.

    It was repleced by a 5mx and after that was destroyed by some airline, and
    followed by an MC218, which has had a new cable but otherwise is in good
    health. I have a netBook too which I really like and is the only portable
    type device I have ever owned.

    I am still of the opinion that a modern 5mx style machine is the way to go.
    The Nokia 9300 is almost the device, but I have become used to the touch
    screen. The Psion Motorola device that never made it past mockup would be
    as relevant and I believe as popular today as it would have been had it been
    released as planned.

    Oh well, history.

    cheers
    Dr. Dweeb

  6. Re: Nostalgic day

    Martin Törnsten wrote:
    [...]
    > I really loved my Psion's, but
    >the quality wasn't always the best.

    Or was it just that they got used so much?

    I predict that the 1st part of my Pocket PC to wear out will be the reset
    switch.

    -Tim

  7. Re: Nostalgic day

    "Dr. Dweeb" schreef in bericht
    news:42a5508a$0$67255$157c6196@dreader2.cybercity. dk...
    > Martin Törnsten wrote:
    > > Today I was down cleaning up in the basement. Among other things I
    > > throw away a box with all my old beloved Psion Series 3/3a. The
    > > problem is that they all was broken in some way. I think it was four
    > > of them. I really loved my Psion's, but the quality wasn't always the
    > > best.
    > >
    > > martin törnsten

    > Synchronicity. Just yesterday I was cleaning the office (sort of) and out
    > went my trusty Siena. Its still in the waste basket, it not having been
    > emptied yet.
    >
    > The Siena never actually died, but the case was severely war damaged after
    > years of daily use and abuse, held together by adhesive tape This was the
    > first PDA I considered small enough that I could be bothered to carry it
    > around, and carry it I did. It was my first Psion and me carrying it

    around
    > and showing people led to the sales of several 3's as people were amazed

    at
    > the software.
    >
    > It was repleced by a 5mx and after that was destroyed by some airline, and
    > followed by an MC218, which has had a new cable but otherwise is in good
    > health. I have a netBook too which I really like and is the only portable
    > type device I have ever owned.
    >
    > I am still of the opinion that a modern 5mx style machine is the way to

    go.
    > The Nokia 9300 is almost the device, but I have become used to the touch
    > screen. The Psion Motorola device that never made it past mockup would be
    > as relevant and I believe as popular today as it would have been had it

    been
    > released as planned.
    >
    > Oh well, history.
    >
    > cheers
    > Dr. Dweeb

    You will get used to the lack of the touch screen. The function keys and the
    cursor keys are an extremely clever design.
    What *stays* annoying is the size of the whole keyboard - too small to write
    an e-mail, let alone long texts.

  8. Re: Nostalgic day

    > The Siena never actually died, but the case was severely war damaged after
    > years of daily use and abuse, held together by adhesive tape This was the
    > first PDA I considered small enough that I could be bothered to carry it
    > around, and carry it I did. It was my first Psion and me carrying it
    > around and showing people led to the sales of several 3's as people were
    > amazed at the software.

    I had a Siena 512KB model, which I bought at Debenhams on Oxford Street --
    because I had a store card and could pay it off later! I loved it. Bought
    PsiWin 1.1 shortly after (for £79.99 ... now it's a free download, and on my
    website for that matter!) and began to sync it with Schedule+ on Windows for
    Workgroups 3.11. I loved that machine. It led to someone at my then-work
    (a homeless hostel) buying the new Psion Series 5.

    I wrote and edited most of my MTh dissertation on my Siena -- synchronized
    with WfWg 3.11. It gave way (literally) to a Series 3mx. I then got my
    Siena fixed at POS Ltd (www.posltd.com) and gave the refurbished machine to
    my sister. I now have a 5mx and 7. I'll stay with Psion as long as I
    possibly can. Great machines. I used a friend's Pocket PC the other day
    .... nah! She can keep it!

    Gareth J M Saunders
    Edinburgh UK
    http://www.garethjmsaunders.co.uk/psion/

  9. Re: Nostalgic day

    >> Oh well, history.
    >>
    >> cheers
    >> Dr. Dweeb

    > You will get used to the lack of the touch screen. The function keys and
    > the
    > cursor keys are an extremely clever design.
    > What *stays* annoying is the size of the whole keyboard - too small to
    > write
    > an e-mail, let alone long texts.

    I'd be interested in a review of the 9300 if ever you have time...

    Duncan.

+ Reply to Thread