What's wrong with Sharp screens? - Scion

This is a discussion on What's wrong with Sharp screens? - Scion ; Hello, I own a Psion Series 5 whose screen was manufactured by Sharp, not the usual Hitachi. At Psionflexi.co.uk and with further search on the web I understand that Sharp was a temporary contractor for Psion and the worst is ...

  1. What's wrong with Sharp screens?

    Hello,

    I own a Psion Series 5 whose screen was manufactured by Sharp, not the
    usual Hitachi. At Psionflexi.co.uk and with further search on the web I
    understand that Sharp was a temporary contractor for Psion and the worst
    is that machines with Hitachi and Sharp screens can't exchange their
    screen cables.
    Could anyone post a deeper explanation of the matter?
    Is it possible to adapt the 'normal' Hitachi-oriented flexi so that it
    works when connected to a screen made by Sharp? Or the difference is so
    deep that there's no practical way?
    Thanks,

    Alessandro
    (remove the random capital letters to get my e-mail address)

  2. Re: What's wrong with Sharp screens?

    "Al" wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I own a Psion Series 5 whose screen was manufactured by Sharp, not the
    > usual Hitachi. At Psionflexi.co.uk and with further search on the web I
    > understand that Sharp was a temporary contractor for Psion and the worst
    > is that machines with Hitachi and Sharp screens can't exchange their
    > screen cables.
    > Could anyone post a deeper explanation of the matter?
    > Is it possible to adapt the 'normal' Hitachi-oriented flexi so that it
    > works when connected to a screen made by Sharp? Or the difference is so
    > deep that there's no practical way?
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Alessandro
    > (remove the random capital letters to get my e-mail address)

    ..

    A guy who may be able to give some advice is Paul from Psionflexi- have a
    look through his web site.

    The bottom line seems to be that they are physically different - different
    connection positions- so it needs a different screen cable, and there are
    too few of them to make it viable to make a (third party) screen cable for
    it. Unless lots of owners with that screen get together and ask?

  3. Re: What's wrong with Sharp screens?

    > A guy who may be able to give some advice is Paul from Psionflexi- have a
    > look through his web site.
    >
    > The bottom line seems to be that they are physically different - different
    > connection positions- so it needs a different screen cable, and there are
    > too few of them to make it viable to make a (third party) screen cable for
    > it. Unless lots of owners with that screen get together and ask?

    Thanks Alan, he's just answered me explaining that all Series 5 have
    Sharp-manufactured screens. The information on the Hitachi-Sharp
    difference published on Psionflexi.co.uk applies to the 5mx.
    That clears the situation but leaves me with no guess on the problem,
    because I already replaced my machine's screen cable. On the electrical
    side it seems to work fine as it turns on when connected to the power
    supply and I can hear the various 'buzz' sounds when I type or touch the
    screen. But the screens remains blank (calibrating contrast has no effect).
    I think I'm going to sell the cable (as replacements) and machine (as
    non-working, for spares) on Ebay...

    Al

  4. Re: What's wrong with Sharp screens?

    "Al" wrote in message
    newsQBme.8075$Wb.6735@tornado.fastwebnet.it...
    > > A guy who may be able to give some advice is Paul from Psionflexi- have

    > > look through his web site.
    > >
    > > The bottom line seems to be that they are physically different -

    different
    > > connection positions- so it needs a different screen cable, and there

    are
    > > too few of them to make it viable to make a (third party) screen cable

    for
    > > it. Unless lots of owners with that screen get together and ask?

    > Thanks Alan, he's just answered me explaining that all Series 5 have
    > Sharp-manufactured screens. The information on the Hitachi-Sharp
    > difference published on Psionflexi.co.uk applies to the 5mx.
    > That clears the situation but leaves me with no guess on the problem,
    > because I already replaced my machine's screen cable. On the electrical
    > side it seems to work fine as it turns on when connected to the power
    > supply and I can hear the various 'buzz' sounds when I type or touch the
    > screen. But the screens remains blank (calibrating contrast has no

    effect).
    > I think I'm going to sell the cable (as replacements) and machine (as
    > non-working, for spares) on Ebay...

    The Hatachi and Sharp screens are very different. They have a different
    number of connections (20 for the Hitachi and 21 for the Sharp) and the pin
    out is different. The pitch of the connection pad is also different.
    Further the connection for the touch screen overlay is in a different place.
    The flexi cable for the Sharp display has to change the order of the
    connections for the display by a series of cross track connections (hidden
    inside the display). The 5mx would appear to auto detect the display as all
    21 connections are made to the motherboard, one pin being left open circuit
    when a Hitachi display is used.

    It follows from the above that the Hitachi flexi cable cannot be used or
    even adapted for the Sharp display.

    Ian.

+ Reply to Thread