Internet access for S3 and S5 questions - Scion

This is a discussion on Internet access for S3 and S5 questions - Scion ; Ok, the easy question: For a Series 5, (Web V 1.50 (113), I can get a connection going. But is there a way from the S5 to find out what IP I was assigned, and more importantly, which DNS server ...

  1. Internet access for S3 and S5 questions

    Ok, the easy question:

    For a Series 5, (Web V 1.50 (113), I can get a connection going. But
    is there a way from the S5 to find out what IP I was assigned, and more
    importantly, which DNS server was provided by the ISP in the PPP
    negotiation ?

    Also, if you leave the application, is there a way to terminate the
    Internet connection without having to go into WEB and using the menu to
    disconnect the connection ?

    Ok, for the more difficult question:

    I can't seem to get the Series 3 to connect via PPP anymore. I have a
    few basic questions:
    Does it require the script to do all the dialing, then wait for login,
    send username, wait for password, send password, and then start the
    network connection ? Or can the script simply do the "start network
    connection" ?

    If the script does everything manually, it seems to hang on the start
    network connection (eg: with manual authentication that works).

    I suyspect I have DNS issues. If I connect to my VMS box via a SLIP
    interface, it sort of works, but the DNS is really flaky.

    I'd really like to get my trusty S3 working again on the internet so I
    can use its tools (traceroute and ping) which is greate to remotely test
    my servers).

  2. Re: Internet access for S3 and S5 questions

    "JF Mezei" schreef in bericht
    > Ok, the easy question:
    >
    > For a Series 5, (Web V 1.50 (113), I can get a connection going. But
    > is there a way from the S5 to find out what IP I was assigned, and more
    > importantly, which DNS server was provided by the ISP in the PPP
    > negotiation ?

    Net Utils perhaps
    (http://itnat.kbsunet.ru/~vkv/psion/n...etutils_en.htm).
    It will give the IP at least...

    > Also, if you leave the application, is there a way to terminate the
    > Internet connection without having to go into WEB and using the menu to
    > disconnect the connection ?

    Yes, pull your modem out of the way. :-)

    > Ok, for the more difficult question:

    Sorry, no idea about the 3 range.

  3. Re: Internet access for S3 and S5 questions

    Hi,
    >Ok, for the more difficult question:

    What a blast from the past!
    First I had to free some memory for the memory hog psimail.
    My S3a has 512K RAM only. Then I had to do a new setup for
    my curent ISP (Earthlink). I used the old script. Last three lines:
    Send dial string with carriage return
    Wait for "CONNECT"
    Open network connection
    (End of script)
    I specified a DNS 207.69.188.185 (Server settings...)
    IP address type: Dynamic
    All I can use is the Tools, not enough memory for Mail or Web.
    I pinged and traced alright, but there was nothing in the Time or
    Address fields. But it translated the URLs into IPs correctly. I
    checked those with my desktop (amazingly tracert still works from
    the C:\ prompt with Win XP).
    I beta tested psimail for Alstair and New World too, but I gave up
    on it a long time ago. It was a thrill then tho. For a while I used
    eMailIt. I still use the S3a (and the Mako) for the DATA base.
    For Comms I have a iPAQ 2215. Works with the Psion IR modem. I also
    use Wi-Fi a lot.
    Regards, Klaus Ernst
    P.S. I'm very impressed with your cycling web page.

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > Ok, the easy question:
    >
    > For a Series 5, (Web V 1.50 (113), I can get a connection going. But
    > is there a way from the S5 to find out what IP I was assigned, and more
    > importantly, which DNS server was provided by the ISP in the PPP
    > negotiation ?
    >
    > Also, if you leave the application, is there a way to terminate the
    > Internet connection without having to go into WEB and using the menu to
    > disconnect the connection ?
    >

    > Ok, for the more difficult question:
    >
    > I can't seem to get the Series 3 to connect via PPP anymore. I have a
    > few basic questions:
    > Does it require the script to do all the dialing, then wait for login,
    > send username, wait for password, send password, and then start the
    > network connection ? Or can the script simply do the "start network
    > connection" ?
    >
    > If the script does everything manually, it seems to hang on the start
    > network connection (eg: with manual authentication that works).
    >
    > I suyspect I have DNS issues. If I connect to my VMS box via a SLIP
    > interface, it sort of works, but the DNS is really flaky.
    >

    > I'd really like to get my trusty S3 working again on the internet so I
    > can use its tools (traceroute and ping) which is greate to remotely test
    > my servers).

  4. Re: Internet access for S3 and S5 questions

    Dixit wrote:
    > Net Utils perhaps
    > (http://itnat.kbsunet.ru/~vkv/psion/n...etutils_en.htm).
    > It will give the IP at least...

    Many thanks for the pointer. If this work on my non ER5 Series 5, this
    could be great.

  5. Re: Internet access for S3 and S5 questions

    Dixit wrote:
    > Net Utils perhaps
    > (http://itnat.kbsunet.ru/~vkv/psion/n...etutils_en.htm).
    > It will give the IP at least...

    Brilliant !

    Many thanks to you and to the writer Victor Kviat for this utility
    whioch makes my Series 5 usable for something !!!!!

    It not only gives me the ip address, but also the 2 DNS servers returned
    during the PPP negotiation ! (with the ifconfig command). This is
    actually more complete than the TOOLS application on the series 3.

    And the NTP time sync works :-)

    Now, back to the Series 3.

    I was finally able to get it working again. I don't know what made it
    tick. I creaded a provider profile (with the pRVEDIT utility) and then I
    had to try different dialup numbers and fiddle with DSN servers. Seeems
    it doesn't work with all DNS numbers.

    Also, the script has to carefully do the open network connection. Right
    after the "CONNECT" and it may be too soon (since the modem would still
    be spewing out data). And in the case of the phone numebr that worked,
    it wasn't a "login" but rather "Username" prompt I had to wait for.
    Also, I turned off socket logging.

    At least I now have a baseline that works against wich I can compare.
    This particular number BTW doesn't authorize my account if I go through
    the username/password prompts, authorisation must be done via PPP (this
    is an account with an @isp_name so the dial-up provider has to route the
    authentication request to the remote ISP).

    BTW, the Series 5 web browser says the OS is EPOC32
    The Series 3 browser says the OS is SIBO

+ Reply to Thread