Forcing locked programs to quit. - Scion

This is a discussion on Forcing locked programs to quit. - Scion ; Does anyone know how to force an application to quit when it has locked up. In particular the Web application. I know it can be done using the pin-hole buttons underneath, but isn't there a way using the "Open files ...

  1. Forcing locked programs to quit.

    Does anyone know how to force an application to quit when it has locked up.
    In particular the Web application. I know it can be done using the pin-hole
    buttons underneath, but isn't there a way using the "Open files / programs"
    dialogue?

    SRMoll - AMS

    Please take note of the "no.spam.please." in my email
    address when replying directly

  2. Re: Forcing locked programs to quit.

    On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:09:54 +0100, SRMoll
    wrote:

    > Does anyone know how to force an application to quit when it has locked
    > up.

    Bring the application to the foreground and use Ctrl+shift+Fn+K

    > In particular the Web application.

    The odds are that it isn't locked up, you've just tried to load a
    complicated page with a lot of nested layout tables. Web was always
    notorious for grinding to a near hault on big pages like that. When they
    first released it for the Psion 5 I thought it was hanging but the
    orbiting document icon would keep reappearing every couple of minutes so
    one day I just left it to see what would happen, and the page eventually
    appeared after 20 minutes!

    For some reason Web is still pretty sluggish with these pages on a Series
    7 or netBook, despite the better and faster processors.

    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary Email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

  3. Re: Forcing locked programs to quit.

    "Eik" wrote in message newsp.sq04myg7wc8r4m@mjollnir...
    > On Thu, 19 May 2005 16:09:54 +0100, SRMoll
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know how to force an application to quit when it has locked
    > > up.

    > Bring the application to the foreground and use Ctrl+shift+Fn+K
    >

    > > In particular the Web application.

    > The odds are that it isn't locked up, you've just tried to load a
    > complicated page with a lot of nested layout tables. Web was always
    > notorious for grinding to a near hault on big pages like that. When they
    > first released it for the Psion 5 I thought it was hanging but the
    > orbiting document icon would keep reappearing every couple of minutes so
    > one day I just left it to see what would happen, and the page eventually
    > appeared after 20 minutes!
    >
    > For some reason Web is still pretty sluggish with these pages on a Series
    > 7 or netBook, despite the better and faster processors.
    >

    > --
    > Using Opera's revolutionary Email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

    Cheers

  4. Re: Forcing locked programs to quit.

    "SRMoll" wrote in
    message news:428caa60$1_1@glkas0286.greenlnk.net...
    > Does anyone know how to force an application to quit when it has locked

    up.
    > In particular the Web application. I know it can be done using the

    pin-hole
    > buttons underneath, but isn't there a way using the "Open files /

    programs"
    > dialogue?

    Close it from the System dialogue. If it refuses to close (which sounds
    like your problem), then hold down the Shift key when you select the 'Close
    File' button. Not much can withstand the Kill option.

+ Reply to Thread